Clare vs Down Sat June 25th, Ennis

Started by PAULD123, June 20, 2011, 07:10:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bridgegael

wat would be the best route to clare?  where in ennis is the ground? is there many on here goin to it?
"2009 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

rory

Danny Hughes injured too, from what I hear

ardtole

This must be the first time since james first game in charge that you would be hard pressed to pick a dozen of the team in the correct positions. Have their been any players called up to the squad recently? It could be a chance for the likes of John McAreavey to show what he can do if he is still on the panel. It will be interesting to see who is on the bench for this game also,  anyone involved in the panel who is fit and doesnt feature this weekend will probably ask themselves. What the fcuk am I doing here?

5 Sams

The Aristocrat Years

ardtole

I would think so. Does anyone have a list of 22 players available?

whitegoodman

Heard myself that Danny is doubtful with yet another hamstring injury.

I might be a cynic but something tells me that the 3G pitch that is being used may have more to do with these injuries than any training methods or the amount of football being played.

loughshore lad

Quote from: whitegoodman on June 23, 2011, 01:11:22 PM

I might be a cynic but something tells me that the 3G pitch that is being used may have more to do with these injuries than any training methods or the amount of football being played.

Why are Down training on a 3G pitch in the middle of the summer?

PAULD123

Quote from: whitegoodman on June 23, 2011, 01:11:22 PM

Have to say that having been on a 3G pitch I didn't like it at all. My only complaint was that it just didn't feel "true", if you know what I mean?

However, there is nothing in the physics of the body that should cause it any more difficulty on a 3G pitch as opposed to grass. In fact if anything, training on a very soft pitch would be more likely to cause pulls & tears than a dry 3G pitch. But I understand your scepticism WhiteGM and I too wonder about the correlations that often seems to occur about a new fad and a spate of similar injuries. But as I said, it certainly shouldn't be connected but I wouldn't discredit your cynicism until there are facts available.

In truth the injuries more likely come from the cyclical intensity of training. The lads went 100% from March to September then had a long break, then back to intense training. I actually think that the training ban may be to blame for our injuries, and may do more harm than good.

But my opinion is like your own, just based on a gut feeling. Who knows, maybe it is just bad luck?

PAULD123

From BBC News:

Danny Hughes has been ruled out of Down's All-Ireland Football qualifier against Clare after suffering an injury in training on Wednesday night.

The news will come as a blow to manager James McCartan who has injury doubts over a number of other key players.

Caolan Mooney has been included in the Mournemen's squad of 26 for the match.

Mooney is still a Down minor but his performances in training and challenge games have obviously impressed the Down management team.

Benny Coulter and Conor Maginn are both hoping to have overcome hamstring injuries in time to be fit for the game.

The Mourne boss has already ruled out Damien Rafferty, Conor Garvey, Gerard McCartan and Darren O'Hagan.

Long-term casualty Ambrose Rogers is making good progress from a knee injury but is unlikely to face Clare in Ennis.

James Colgan (dead leg) and Paul Murphy (quad) have also missed several training sessions since the county's Ulster Championship defeat to Armagh on 28 May.

The Down manager has also suffered the setback of John Clarke announcing his retirement from inter-county football.

BarryBreensBandage

If Colgan is fit, I think he deserves another run at CHB. Didn't get another look in last year after one average performance but thought up to that he was just what we needed.
McKernan to wing half back to fill the position which I think he was made for.
"Some people say I am indecisive..... maybe I am, maybe I'm not".

NP 76

I agree with WGM on the 3g pitch . I wrote on this forum about it being a contributing factor to alot of these injuries . I also said about reading an article about them lifting alot of them in America because ot the same probelms concerning injuries . They are a solid base which means little give in the ground unlike grass . For all that the grass pitch that Down have trained on until recently in the Abbey is not much better with Mc Ilvor putting cones out on it to warn the boys of particular areas that are full of holes and hollows . Although as someone mentioned earlier that they shouldnt be on a 3g pitch at this time of the year the damage is probaly already done at this stage to the muscles . These are only my opions and could be as far out as the lighthouse but why are we not training in Newry anyway . In response to Bridge gael i am heading down tomorrow to the game handy run out the m50 take road for Limerick . Before limerick i think you come across a sign for Ennis N18 as far as i remember straight road until Ennis .There is four tolls 3 at 1euro eighty and then the m50 one at 3 euro i think . Any word is there many going down the way things are going some of us might need to take boots with us  just in case things get any worse

AZOffaly

You're better off staying on the motorway all the way lads. 3 Tolls. 1 on the M1, 1 on the M50, 1 on the M7 near Roscrea and 1 on the exit after the new tunnel in Limerick.

It's practically motorway all the way down, and keep on the M7 into Limerick, and follow the signs for the new tunnel (Shannon Airport). After the tunnel it's all motorway and dual carraigeway to Ennis. Dead handy. Might head out myself.

Leo

Quote from: PAULD123 on June 23, 2011, 05:23:08 PM
From BBC News:

• James Colgan (dead leg) and Paul Murphy (quad) have also missed several training sessions since the county's Ulster Championship defeat to Armagh on 28 May.

Colgan hasnt missed a game for An Riocht so what is this spin all about?
Fierce tame altogether

redandblack4ever

When you  guys are talking about a 3G pitch, do you mean one that has artificial turf on it?  Here in Chicago all the stadiums are real grass. I can't honestly think of one NFL or MLB stadium that use that stuff anymore. The main reason is out of fashion over here is because of all the cruciate and leg injuries it caused. Years ago before Gaelic Park was built our GAA team used to have to play in Hansen Stadium which was Astroturf. The guys all said it was llike playing on concrete. If the Down team has been training on a pitch that has it, I'm not surprised at all the injuries.

Any word on the game being televised? Mr. Wonderful signed up with Ustream last week for a season pass to all the GAA games. If it is televised, I'll be able to watch it in real time. Setanta seems to have disappeared over here. I can't even get the website to work.

If it isn't being televised, will Five FM be doing it on the radio? I can stream that on the computer, at least.

Keeping my fingers and toes crossed that Down will beat Clare on Saturday morning (our time). It'll be an awfully long summer, if they don't.

Mrs. redamdblack4ever
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves."Edward R. Murrow,American Jounalist,1908-1965

PAULD123

It's hard to judge things by forum's and rumours but it is also hard to find direct quotes from James. Here are a few he made last week before Hughes got injured, he gave the interview to Setanta I think (sorry it doesn't really tell us anything new):

"You don't like to harp on about injuries, but we've injured men that we can't get onto the field," said McCartan.

"Amborse Rogers, Damien Rafferty, Conor Garvey and Gerard McCartan is now added to that list.

"Dee 'Raff', Garvey, Gerard McCartan and Darren O'Hagan won't put on boots for the Clare match."

"Ambrose has been taking part in training and the knee hasn't been swelling up nearly as much," added McCartan.

"So it's positive, but if you're asking me if he'll be in the squad for the Clare game, it's probably too early to say. At this stage I would say it's unlikely."