RIP Big Man

Started by DrinkingHarp, June 19, 2011, 03:45:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fearglasmor

Before I ever knew about Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band my first love in music was 1950's Rock n' Roll due in large parts to the sax which was an integral part of it. So when I discovered Bruce and thee Band through Hungry Heart and then the (at that time limited) back catalogue of albums I was instantnly hooked. The combination of Bruces poetry and storytelling with the music produced by a band with a piano, a Hammond B3 Organ and of course a Saxaphone was just another world for me compared to the droning guitar laden music that most bands produced.
Since then, I've bought every release, every magazine article I came across, downloaded every bootleg and gone to every concert I could get to, so as to experience as much of this magical music as possible before either it or I died. As with Danny, I have no doubt that a sax player can be brought in to approximate the notes that Clarence "pulled out of the air" when he put that reed to his lips. But Clarence was so much more than a sax player and that will never be replaced. Bruces skinny white kid to Clarences big black soul man was a fantastic focul point for the band. While Bruce so often played out the evangelising preacher on stage, for many it was also a pilgrimage to worship at the "Temple of Soul" that was Clarence Clemons. In later years his stage presence grew larger, ironically as his mobility became so restricted due the hip and back surgery he required. His on stage costumes were outrageously cool and all he had to do was just stand there and be "The Big Man" "the biggest man you have ever seen" Clarence Clemons  RIP.

Hardy

Great stuff, fearglasmor.

Declan

Sums it up perfectly Fearglasmor - Watched an old recording of him from the 85 tour with himself and Bruce from the intro to "Growing Up" (went out into the woods etc before discovering their instruments) last night with my kids - Found myself just sitting there smiling at it - Happy memories
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3K5sNCWrO8k&feature=related

5 Sams

Big Clarence made an enormous contribution to THEE best concert I was ever on 1st June in Slane 1985.

RIP Fear mór.

The Aristocrat Years

orangeman

Quote from: fearglasmor on June 20, 2011, 12:37:22 PM
Before I ever knew about Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band my first love in music was 1950's Rock n' Roll due in large parts to the sax which was an integral part of it. So when I discovered Bruce and thee Band through Hungry Heart and then the (at that time limited) back catalogue of albums I was instantnly hooked. The combination of Bruces poetry and storytelling with the music produced by a band with a piano, a Hammond B3 Organ and of course a Saxaphone was just another world for me compared to the droning guitar laden music that most bands produced.
Since then, I've bought every release, every magazine article I came across, downloaded every bootleg and gone to every concert I could get to, so as to experience as much of this magical music as possible before either it or I died. As with Danny, I have no doubt that a sax player can be brought in to approximate the notes that Clarence "pulled out of the air" when he put that reed to his lips. But Clarence was so much more than a sax player and that will never be replaced. Bruces skinny white kid to Clarences big black soul man was a fantastic focul point for the band. While Bruce so often played out the evangelising preacher on stage, for many it was also a pilgrimage to worship at the "Temple of Soul" that was Clarence Clemons. In later years his stage presence grew larger, ironically as his mobility became so restricted due the hip and back surgery he required. His on stage costumes were outrageously cool and all he had to do was just stand there and be "The Big Man" "the biggest man you have ever seen" Clarence Clemons  RIP.

Great post.

Denn Forever

Got this from someone who likes Springsteen.  Don'tknow where the station is based.

SiriusXM Radio will re-broadcast Dave Marsh's special "Live from E Street Nation: Clarence Clemons Tribute" today at 4:00 pm ET, tonight at 12:00 am midnight ET, and tomorrow at 8:00 am ET on E Street Radio, Channel 20.
1 hour ago  ·  · 
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

boosabum

It's been reported that the infamous pictures of clarence and Bruce which appear on the born to run album were taken 36 years ago today. Cruel twist of faith or iconic moment in time showing the love and respect the guys had for each other

ziggy90

I don't pretend to know anything about playing a sax but I do know what I like, I've just finished listening to Jungleland on the live in NYC album, would make the hairs stand on the back of your neck. RIP Clarence thanks for the memories. Btw Fearglasmor great post, summed it up perfectly for me as well.
Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

Applesisapples

Quote from: Sandino on June 19, 2011, 10:08:06 AM
Dubh, thats one of my favorite lines in music! Rest In Peace, Clarence, the end of an era.
that and "the screen door slams Mary's dress waves,"

J70

Quote from: Denn Forever on June 20, 2011, 07:21:12 PM
Got this from someone who likes Springsteen.  Don'tknow where the station is based.

SiriusXM Radio will re-broadcast Dave Marsh's special "Live from E Street Nation: Clarence Clemons Tribute" today at 4:00 pm ET, tonight at 12:00 am midnight ET, and tomorrow at 8:00 am ET on E Street Radio, Channel 20.
1 hour ago  ·  ·

E Street Radio is a Springsteen station on Sirius/XM satellite radio in the states. No idea if its available anywhere outside the US.

the Deel Rover

Quote from: fearglasmor on June 20, 2011, 12:37:22 PM

well said fearglasmor.Just glad I was at the rds the last time bruce and the e street band played there. it won't be the same without the big man . May he rest in peace
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

mc_grens

"Got on my dead man's suit and my smilin' skull ring
My lucky graveyard boots and song to sing
I got a song to sing, keep me out of the cold
And I'll meet you further on up the road."

RIP Big Man.

ross matt

Quote from: Applesisapples on June 21, 2011, 04:40:53 PM
Dubh, thats one of my favorite lines in music! Rest In Peace, Clarence, the end of an era.

Thunder Road. One of the greatest songs ever in my opinion.

Applesisapples

Quote from: ross matt on June 22, 2011, 01:09:46 AM
Quote from: Applesisapples on June 21, 2011, 04:40:53 PM

Thunder Road. One of the greatest songs ever in my opinion.
+100