HTC and Android

Started by screenexile, June 13, 2011, 08:59:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

screenexile

Just got the HTC Desire S and as I was previously an iPhone user I have no clue how to use it.

Can anyone give me any tips? Good Apps? Best way to download free apps?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Ulick

I've a HTC HD2 dual booting Windows Phone 7 and Android (though mainly use WP7). Everything you need to know can be found here:

http://www.xda-developers.com/

http://forum.xda-developers.com/

gerrykeegan

Apps are in the "market" it should be an icon on one of your screens. You customize your screens by dropping whatever apps or games you want. The plus key on the bottom of the screen will enable you to do that.
2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)

robertemmet

I have the Desire, got it last year. Great phone.

cornerback

Is it just me or do Ulick's links not work?

Good to see you've crossed over exile  :P

I definitely don't make full use of my Desire but its a great phone & so easy to use... you'll get on to it in no time Exile

balladmaker

HTC Desire is a super phone, I can't fault it.

Never beat the deeler

Been thinking of getting one of these (Desire S) for a while now. Usually when I'm reading up on whether to go with HTC or iPhone, the camp is split into HTC users vs iphone users, with each claiming theirs is better.

Now that you've had both phones screenexile (and assuming you've figured out how to use the HTC), which would you recommend?

Anyone else with experience of both?
Hasta la victoria siempre

AbbeySider

I have a HTC Desire and have to say I love it. I did a bandwidth speed test against the iPhone 4 yesterday and the Desire won the download rate hands down, but the iPhone strangely has a better upload rate.

I use my Desire for nearly everything from Facebook, Twitter, emailing and checking the odd site so rarely break open the laptop any more.

I would prefer Android over iPhones as I hate iTunes and being tied to apple for all that crap.
Im also developing Android Apps so maybe I am a bit biased!

screenexile

Still early days but I've gotten my head around it a bit with things like swype and my contacts list being fully synced with Facebook which is pretty good. I think I will join twitter too just to get the use out of it.

The main thing that drew me to it is that I watch a lot of streaming websited for American shows which the iPhone doesn't support. I can now stream basically anything right to my phone when I'm on wireless which is excellent.

Altogether I think it's a good phone for me. I have a dilemma now though in that I've just got my new Blackberry Torch from work and can't decide if I should keep both or ditch the HTC . . . oh well I suppose it's a good enough problem to have!!

PS. Anyone got any tips for the Blackberry??!!

thebigfella

Quote from: AbbeySider on June 17, 2011, 10:11:08 AM
I have a HTC Desire and have to say I love it. I did a bandwidth speed test against the iPhone 4 yesterday and the Desire won the download rate hands down, but the iPhone strangely has a better upload rate.

I use my Desire for nearly everything from Facebook, Twitter, emailing and checking the odd site so rarely break open the laptop any more.

I would prefer Android over iPhones as I hate iTunes and being tied to apple for all that crap.

Testing the bandwidth of your broadband connection?

AbbeySider

Quote from: thebigfella on June 17, 2011, 10:58:11 AM

Wifi
Both phones used the speed test from www.speedtest.net and HTC came out on top every time.

thebigfella

Quote from: AbbeySider on June 17, 2011, 11:28:51 AM
Quote from: thebigfella on June 17, 2011, 10:58:11 AM

Wifi
Both phones used the speed test from www.speedtest.net and HTC came out on top every time.

In fairness they both have the same wifi chip as far as i'm aware and unless you are measuring the connection speed from phone to wifi router it's not really a proper test. There could be a number reasons why the speeds are different, router configuration, broadband contention, the grip of death  :D etc.

AbbeySider

Quote from: thebigfella on June 17, 2011, 11:59:29 AM
In fairness they both have the same wifi chip as far as i'm aware and unless you are measuring the connection speed from phone to wifi router it's not really a proper test. There could be a number reasons why the speeds are different, router configuration, broadband contention, the grip of death  :D etc.

The two phones were left side by side on a desk an the speed tests were ran.

Its well known that the Desire has better 3g, 4g and wifi carrier signal, reception and download rates
Give me a break ::)

thebigfella

Quote from: AbbeySider on June 17, 2011, 12:19:37 PM
Quote from: thebigfella on June 17, 2011, 11:59:29 AM

The two phones were left side by side on a desk an the speed tests were ran.

Its well known that the Desire has better 3g, 4g and wifi carrier signal, reception and download rates
Give me a break ::)

It's well known both suffer from connectivity issues, in fact the Desire was proven to suffer from similar attenia issues that affected the Iphone 4. Simply connecting to a wifi router and running an online speed test proves f**k all in my opinion as it's not a controlled test and too many variables. When some one points out your so called findings (observations  ::)) should be taken with a pinch of salt, you reply with give me a break it's a well known fact  ::) Good one, well if it's a well know fact then YOU should be able to prove it. I can and actually just have for curiosity because I have the tools and handsets here to do it in a controlled test.

Give me a break indeed  ::) ::)

Bogball XV

Quote from: thebigfella on June 17, 2011, 12:37:46 PMI can and actually just have for curiosity because I have the tools and handsets here to do it in a controlled test.
And the results were?