Armagh shock Down in Ulster SHC Semi Final!

Started by CountyGK, June 12, 2011, 08:15:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountyGK

Armagh beat down 0-14 to 1-10 today in Casement Park in the Ulster SHC Semi final, incredible result for the Orchard men!!

downgirl

Very surprised by this...was it a good match??

Tony Baloney

Not shocked. That Down team has been on it's last legs for 2 or 3 years now.

CountyGK

great game in poor weather conditions, armagh were very physical and determined, they never gave up. armagh kept going right to the final whistle. armagh seemed very fresh whereas down possibly were jaded.
it was a terrific team performance from armagh, as well as some fantastic individual displays.

Orangemac

Fair play to the hurlers. They have been on an upward trajectory the last 5 years or so and this is another big step with the minors in the final last year.

Hopefull thye will give a good account of themselves in the final.

gander

Great win for the lads today! have to admit I never thought they would do it.  any word on the minor match?

CountyGK

unfortunately minors were defeated 1-14 to 1-08

Eamonnca1

Just watching the Sunday Game now and saw that. No sign of a camera crew at it, but great to hear all the same.  I've been hearing a lot of good things about grass-roots development work going on in Armagh hurling over the last five years, good to see it bearing fruit so soon.

maxpower

Massive shock, in the last 2 year Armagh teams will now have appeared in minor, u21, senior county finals together with the club final.  Must be serious good work going on, actually attended a few coaching seminars for hurling in Armagh and they were very good,

Down are a strange team alright, still find it amazing they're haven't won a ring cup
What happens next????

johnneycool

Quote from: Tony Baloney on June 12, 2011, 09:08:39 PM

You obviously haven't watched Down in a while as the last few years this has been a very young team beset with lack of physically big men and on a shitty wet day (or even good days) can't handle teams who get into them. They muster the odd good result and then shit in the nest the next day.

Well done Armagh, they're very serious about promoting the game there (unlike Down CB) and fund it accordingly. Their minors have beaten Down last year and beat them well.
the academy system for what its worth in Down isn't working IMO.

RealSpiritof98

What a result, nobody seen this coming. Surely the ulster council should do the decent thing and move the final to the Morgan Athletic Grounds, well capable of holding this game.

johnneycool

Quote from: RealSpiritof98 on June 13, 2011, 09:26:38 AM
What a result, nobody seen this coming. Surely the ulster council should do the decent thing and move the final to the Morgan Athletic Grounds, well capable of holding this game.

best of luck with that one

Tony Baloney

Quote from: johnneycool on June 13, 2011, 09:15:06 AM

You obviously haven't watched Down in a while as the last few years this has been a very young team beset with lack of physically big men and on a shitty wet day (or even good days) can't handle teams who get into them. They muster the odd good result and then shit in the nest the next day.

Well done Armagh, they're very serious about promoting the game there (unlike Down CB) and fund it accordingly. Their minors have beaten Down last year and beat them well.
What I meant was their best players were on the last legs. Last time I saw them in the flesh (surely no more than a year ago?) Simon Wilson was by far their best player. Take away Magic, Braniffs etc there was a significant drop in standard.

Aerlik

Great result.  Well done Armagh.  I'll be shouting for yiz from Oz.
To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

johnneycool

Quote from: Tony Baloney on June 13, 2011, 05:58:55 PM
Quote from: johnneycool on June 13, 2011, 09:15:06 AM

What I meant was their best players were on the last legs. Last time I saw them in the flesh (surely no more than a year ago?) Simon Wilson was by far their best player. Take away Magic, Braniffs etc there was a significant drop in standard.

Both Simon Wilson and Stephen Murray are gone as well as Ruairi McGrattan who's now playing for Armagh, but there are some good hurlers outside Dule and Magic such as Conor Woods, Michael Ennis and Danny Toner however the rest can have good days, but more often bad days and lack both physique and in some instances resolve when things aren't going their way.