Cavan V Longford Qualifiers Round 1.

Started by BallyhaiseMan, June 12, 2011, 06:21:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Denn Forever

Quote from: Jinxy on June 13, 2011, 03:17:28 PM
Up Longford.

Makes me feel better about supporting Louth.

And calling all inhabitants of Virginia, do your duty. :D
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Jinxy

Just remembered the car could do with a wash.

If you were any use you'd be playing.

LaurelEye

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on June 13, 2011, 03:14:24 PM
Myles

There was a fair scatter of Mullaghoran lads in our secondary school in Longford in the 80s, as well as the Buddy Kiernans from Kilnaleck, among others.

Cavan are the riches to rags county - we have never risen much beyond starvation. In history unequals. In current times equals.

In my time, the Granard schools were about 40% Cavan (mainly Mullahoran and Ballymachugh, but a lot from Gowna as well including the McCabes and Bradys). The Buddys are from Ballymachugh, BTW, Shamrock :).

There's still McKeever and Dermot Sheridan (won an All-Ireland Vocational Schools title with Longford back in 2003 when he was at school in Granard). Between Dromard, Colmcille and ourselves, half the Longford team will be from the border parishes.
Leader Cup winners: 1945, 1947, 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 2013, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2021, 2023.

Shamrock Shore

Laurel

We always accused the Buddys of being from Kilnaleck. Billy could clarify.

Double header in Breffni with Cavan v Longford at 5 pm and Louth v Meath the feature at 7 pm.

Wow  :o

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on June 13, 2011, 03:14:24 PM
Myles

There was a fair scatter of Mullaghoran lads in our secondary school in Longford in the 80s, as well as the Buddy Kiernans from Kilnaleck, among others.

Cavan are the riches to rags county - we have never risen much beyond starvation. In history unequals. In current times equals.

I wasn't trying to slag Longford of, far from it. What I was trying to say was when I was in Moyne there was a great rivalry between Cavan and Longford due to many of the Cavan team coming from the border areas with Longford (and also many of the Longford team being close to the border too). Now a days there is only 1 Mullahoran player, 1 Gowna player, 0 Kilnaleck, 0 Arva so on the Cavan side the idea of there being a rivalry might be lost on some of them. I just hope they can get themselves up for it as I know Longford will be. I put it as a 50:50 game. Best of luck to Louth too. :)

mylestheslasher

This double header could be crazy stuff altogether. Meath cheering Longford, Cavan cheering Louth. Stone throwing, Louth ones invading the pitch, refs running for cover. Such a combination to put into the one stadium!

Shamrock Shore

Good man Myles.

My original post on this was that the rivalry did not isolate itself to Moyne. It was in Mels in Longford town and Granard as Laurel as pointed out.

Jesus - was there not any half decent schools in Cavan in the 70s/80s. Who went to Pats? Posh boys from Virginia and Bailieboro?

You are right. Quinn Cement could take a chunk out of its losses by selling some loose gravel on the Ballinagh road as the Auld Cavan lads seek revenge for the Meath stone throwing of the 30s and 50s and Louth seek revenge for last year.

We are above stone throwing of course. Thankfully we can never have Derek Fahy as ref.

LaurelEye

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on June 13, 2011, 04:43:10 PMQuinn Cement could take a chunk out of its losses by selling some loose gravel on the Ballinagh road as the Auld Cavan lads seek revenge for the Meath stone throwing of the 30s and 50s and Louth seek revenge for last year.

We are above stone throwing of course. Thankfully we can never have Derek Fahy as ref.

The Meaths (other than the odd one from Aulkjastle or Ballinacree) would be going well out of their way to be hitting the Ballinagh Road. Don't be giving our neighbours ideas, Shamrock.
Leader Cup winners: 1945, 1947, 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 2013, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2021, 2023.

anglocelt39

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on June 13, 2011, 04:43:10 PM
Good man Myles.

My original post on this was that the rivalry did not isolate itself to Moyne. It was in Mels in Longford town and Granard as Laurel as pointed out.

Jesus - was there not any half decent schools in Cavan in the 70s/80s. Who went to Pats? Posh boys from Virginia and Bailieboro?

You are right. Quinn Cement could take a chunk out of its losses by selling some loose gravel on the Ballinagh road as the Auld Cavan lads seek revenge for the Meath stone throwing of the 30s and 50s and Louth seek revenge for last year.

We didn't tend to do post very well in east Cavan in that era and if we did they wouldn't have been packed off to Pats. Last Cavan team to win an Ulster title would have included a very high representation from Bailieborough Community School i.e. Shamrocks and Knockbride lads.

Kiernan's of Pigs fame??? thought they were from Kilnaleck meself.
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

anglocelt39

Quote from: anglocelt39 on June 13, 2011, 10:12:11 PM
Quote from: Shamrock Shore on June 13, 2011, 04:43:10 PM
Good man Myles.

We didn't tend to do post very well in east Cavan in that era and if we did they wouldn't have been packed off to Pats. Last Cavan team to win an Ulster title would have included a very high representation from Bailieborough Community School i.e. Shamrocks and Knockbride lads.

substitute posh for post in the above
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

LaurelEye

Quote from: anglocelt39 on June 13, 2011, 10:12:11 PM

No, Aughakilmore which is in Ballymachugh parish (the original Buddy's funeral was in Ballinarry Church) and I'm nearly sure the original piggery was in Aughafad. It would be closer to the Aughaloora end of Ballintemple than it would be to anywhere in Crosserlough.

Billys Boots

Quote from: mylestheslasher on June 13, 2011, 04:37:14 PM
This double header could be crazy stuff altogether. Meath cheering Longford, Cavan cheering Louth. Stone throwing, Louth ones invading the pitch, refs running for cover. Such a combination to put into the one stadium!

Well it certainly has all the ingredients of a, ahem, traditional day out.

I think the Buddys' pub was in Kilnaleck, or maybe not. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

panc56

Is Phil Masterson still pulling pints in Ballinagh? Fond memories of league clashes between Longford & Cavan in the early eighties. Soda O'Rourke getting thumped by one Mel Boucher out near the line - best punch I ever seen. What a sanitised game we have now.............I also recall in 85 we were in Div 2 beat Galway out the gate and followed it up with beating the Dubs in Croker only to loose to Cavan at home in the next game. I cried for a week :(. Personally winning this game would mean more than any other, with a mother from Mullahoran still going on about the 5 All Irelands........as someone said earlier - today we are equals!

Billys Boots

My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

panc56

Could be , or maybe Kingscourt.....along with the Faulkner brothers and Jim Reilly.