Wexford Vs Westmeath LSFC

Started by Croí na hÉireann, June 10, 2011, 12:31:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Croí na hÉireann

Westmeath team V Wexford - Connaughton; Boyle, Gavin, Finnan; Egan, Martin, Harte; Daly, Corroon; Sharry, David Glennon, Lynam; Dessie Dolan, Denis Glennon, Greville
Bench - Darren Quinn, John Gaffey, James Dolan, Michael Curley, Michael Ennis, John Heslin, Brendan Murtagh, Conor Jordan, Callum McCormack, Peter Tormey, Alan Giles

Wexford unchanged from Offaly win - A Masterson; J Wadding, G Molloy, B Malone; A Flynn, D Murphy, A Doyle; R Quinlivan, D Waters; S Roche, C Lyng, B Brosnan; C Morris, E Bradley, R Barry.

Good to see Dessie made it, hope he's fit. That team could do with Natchie and Duffy too for the experience, it's very young, especially between the 40's. Natchie will get a good reception and give the team a lift when he comes in. I think Finnan going to corner back and Martin coming in at center back is a good move, hopefully it will tighten us up at the back as we were a bit loose there during the league. Both midfielders making their championship debuts and they'll find it tough against Quinlivan and Waters. Daly like Egan last year has been coming hard and fast recently and hopefully he can make an impression here. I'd settle for breaking even in midfield.

This has the potential to be a very open game, both teams strengths lie in their forwards. Need to keep Lyng, Barry and Brosnan under wraps. Lyng tore us apart in Mullingar in the league and Barry is the one who makes Wexford tick. Brosnan took some fine long range points the first day out. Will be traveling more in hope than expectation, I'd imagine we'll be hugely outnumbered by the locals, a two hour drive and five o'clock on a Sat is not much help to those who have to work. That said looking forward to the hurling afterward. Up Westmeath.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

spuds

What is the story with young Heslin ? Seemed like an automatic selection for Westmeath before his sendings off earlier in the year. Undoubted football ability anyway.
Was McDaniels anywhere close to making that panel ?
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

Croí na hÉireann

Got sent off against Cavan early on in the league and four weeks later got sent off in an U21 match, so all in all he hasn't had much game time for Westmeath. Has been involved recently in challenge games and might have started if Dessie hasn't made it. McDaniels was nowhere near the panel IMO, other lads that aren't there that would be ahead of him IMO are James Durkan, John Connellan, Ian Coffey and John Egan.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

shark

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on June 10, 2011, 02:11:59 PM
Got sent off against Cavan early on in the league and four weeks later got sent off in an U21 match, so all in all he hasn't had much game time for Westmeath. Has been involved recently in challenge games and might have started if Dessie hasn't made it. McDaniels was nowhere near the panel IMO, other lads that aren't there that would be ahead of him IMO are James Durkan, John Connellan, Ian Coffey and John Egan.

Not to mention Simon Quinn who hasn't made the bench despite playing a part in almost every league game.
I think the forward line, even if Dessie doesn't play, is capable of putting up a good score. And they should get help from both midfielders who normally chip in too.
It's an inexperienced midfield but they are both potentially top class inter county midfielders. Only one way of finding out if that potential can be realised.
My main concern is that out backs won't live with the Wexford forwards. They tore them apart in the league and it's mostly the same players again.
Westmeath can win this game, but I think will need to score goals to do so as Wexford will put up a good score themselves.

Blowitupref

Isn't Heslin Australia bound? Wexford shocked most with that performance/result over Offaly if they hit the ground running like that again westmeath will find it tough to keep pace.

It should be alot closer game & whoever wins will fancy their chances of making it to the final.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Bill Haven

Glad to see Daly starting but I still worry about the midfield. Quinlivan totally ran the show in the League match til he went off early in second half.

Backline have been shaky all year and although Martin should make a difference it's really asking a lot of him. The Wexford forward line is full of scores and they'll probably have a lot of joy.

Hope I'm wrong but I see a comfortable home win.

ross4life

HT Wexford 1-12 Westmeath 0-9 Lyng with 7 points the main man in that half.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Jinxy

Sounds like Wexford are motoring well.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Maroon Heaven

Quote from: Jinxy on June 11, 2011, 05:40:05 PM
Sounds like Wexford are motoring well.

Wexford score a goal after 34 seconds.

Jinxy

Again, I have to say it's a pleasure to listen to Newstalks coverage on the radio.
Funny, informative and nobody trying to be Micheál Ó Muireachartaigh.
Colm Parkinson is actually quite good.

Blowitupref

Yeah newstalk coverage is quite good alright but i'm not so sure about David Brady. As for the game by the sounds of it Westmeath struggling to keep pace with a fitter faster Wexford outfit.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Offalylad

Quote from: Blowitupref on June 10, 2011, 06:12:36 PM
Isn't Heslin Australia bound? Wexford shocked most with that performance/result over Offaly if they hit the ground running like that again westmeath will find it tough to keep pace.

It should be alot closer game & whoever wins will fancy their chances of making it to the final.

Heslin will be heading down under towards the end of the year.

Maroon Heaven

1-18 to 10 points.

Bloody hell

Jinxy

Quote from: Blowitupref on June 11, 2011, 06:00:43 PM
Yeah newstalk coverage is quite good alright but i'm not so sure about David Brady. As for the game by the sounds of it Westmeath struggling to keep pace with a fitter faster Wexford outfit.

He's just there for comic relief.

ross4life

One way traffic in this 2nd half, Louth or Carlow up next
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open