Brian Lenihan RIP

Started by AbbeySider, June 10, 2011, 10:54:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Croí na hÉireann

Hadn't a clue his condition had deteriorated, sad day for the extended Lenihan family, ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Bogball XV

Quote from: orangeman on June 10, 2011, 11:45:32 AM
Shocking news.

He ignored his illness, put his head down and worked for the country.

For this he is to be commended.
He was a skilled poilitician and not many got the better of him.

I don't agree actually. 

While I would concur with most on here that he was not from the sleveen school of FF and he appeared to be a man of integrity, he should not have clung on to his job when he wasn't in a fit state to carry out that job.  His deterioration was very apparent from early on and most informed commentators suspected that his outlook was terminal with a span of approximately 12 months being frequently mentioned.  He should have stepped down and if understandably he refused, that decision should have been taken from him.
What I found most surprising at the time was that he was being heavily touted for the FF leadership back in January??
I don't want to appear unsympathetic here and I do have genuine sympathy for his family, and I do believe that he really tried to do what he thought was right, I also appreciate just how difficult his job was, as looking back I still don't know what might have been the best options.  I agree with Muppet, his illness removed much of the criticism that should have been coming his way - was that Cowen at his most cynical?

Wouldn't it be wonderful if he had at some point over the past few months he had decided to tell the full truth about his time in office, warts and all - wouldn't be a great story and a fitting legacy.

seafoid

I can't see FF winning the by election. That will be it for FF in Dublin. 

J70

It was pancreatic cancer, wasn't it? One of the worst. By the time its diagnosed, its often already far advanced and even mestasticized (sp?).

RIP

Blowitupref

Pancreatic cancer is indeed one of the worst forms of cancer but i'm still shocked how quick he went. my thoughts are with his family RIP
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

ross matt

Like Seafoid I feel for his children and his wife simply because they are so young. I didnt know him at all personally but he came across as an articulate, decent and good human being. He did the best he could even if in hindsight he made serious mistakes.

However I dont think those mistakes were infleunced by his illness so his continuation in his position after diagnosis were'nt an isssue until his recent deteoriation and subsequent passing.

He never sought sympathy or drew any attention to his illness. It may have resulted in opponents softening their criticism of him but I think he got his fair share of flack. It matters little now to him or his family.

R.I.P.

ross4life

Shocking illness at least he didn't suffer like some others, he was a decent man & politician i hope he gets a good send off RIP
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Tubberman

Pancreatic cancer is one of the worst forms alright - low survival rate and I think most people don't last more than 2 years after diagnosis.
But Brian Lenihan must have thought he could beat it. Why else would he have stood in the election and contested the leadership of FF?
Feel very sorry for him - different to the stereotypical FF man, he seemed to be a very decent, intelligent, hard working man.
RIP
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

boojangles

Farrandeelin

I lost my own aunt less than a fortnight ago to pancreatic cancer. It truly is awful that somebody cannot come up with some cure for the big C.

Brian Lenihan RIP.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: Bogball XV on June 10, 2011, 02:17:19 PM
Quote from: orangeman on June 10, 2011, 11:45:32 AM
Shocking news.

He ignored his illness, put his head down and worked for the country.

For this he is to be commended.
He was a skilled poilitician and not many got the better of him.

I don't agree actually. 

While I would concur with most on here that he was not from the sleveen school of FF and he appeared to be a man of integrity, he should not have clung on to his job when he wasn't in a fit state to carry out that job.  His deterioration was very apparent from early on and most informed commentators suspected that his outlook was terminal with a span of approximately 12 months being frequently mentioned.  He should have stepped down and if understandably he refused, that decision should have been taken from him.
What I found most surprising at the time was that he was being heavily touted for the FF leadership back in January??
I don't want to appear unsympathetic here and I do have genuine sympathy for his family, and I do believe that he really tried to do what he thought was right, I also appreciate just how difficult his job was, as looking back I still don't know what might have been the best options.  I agree with Muppet, his illness removed much of the criticism that should have been coming his way - was that Cowen at his most cynical?

Wouldn't it be wonderful if he had at some point over the past few months he had decided to tell the full truth about his time in office, warts and all - wouldn't be a great story and a fitting legacy.

Who would you have put in instead Bogball?

And what makes you think if he had told the full truth, warts and all, that anybody would have listened? What makes you think he didn't tell the full truth in that Dan O'Brien documentary on the BBC?

God have mercy on him. Ba Ghael go smíor é, cróga dílis ar son a chúise agus a chruinne. Ar dhéis Dé go raibh a anam uasal.

seafoid

They should have resigned in early 2010 when it became clear the bank bailout didn't work, then the bond yields started rising and when the corner wasn't turned. Ireland lost all credibility afterwards.

The poor Lenihan kids have lost a father and for what ?  FF would have been better off being honest with the people and letting more competent people take charge. It all collapsed on them in the end anyway.  I feel so sorry for his family. That useless party wasn't worth the loss of a father and husband.

KT

Quote from: seafoid on June 10, 2011, 05:28:47 PM
They should have resigned in early 2010 when it became clear the bank bailout didn't work, then the bond yields started rising and when the corner wasn't turned. Ireland lost all credibility afterwards.

The poor Lenihan kids have lost a father and for what ?  FF would have been better off being honest with the people and letting more competent people take charge. It all collapsed on them in the end anyway.  I feel so sorry for his family. That useless party wasn't worth the loss of a father and husband.

Those competent people you talk of could barely manage a tribute to the man today, Kenny was so incoherent earlier, he could hardly string a sentence together and Burton on the Matt Cooper Show this evening was an embarrassment.  Thankfully Cooper pulled her up on her pathetic story about the Green's pulling out of govt.

The awful illness that is pancreatic cancer has been the cause of the loss of a father and husband, you can hardly blame "the useless party".

Brian Lenihan has suffered awful misfortunes recent years, yes.  The greatest misfortune being his diagnosis and the lesser being the impossible situation he found himself in in govt.  He faced each with bravery that most people wouldn't dream of.  I don't think anyone could fail to recognise his dedication and patriotism.  I hope that despite the unbearable sadness that must be facing his family tonight, that they are able to take comfort in the achievements of their son/father/husband. RIP Brian

seafoid

Quote from: KT on June 10, 2011, 10:59:19 PM
Quote from: seafoid on June 10, 2011, 05:28:47 PM
  I feel so sorry for his family. That useless party wasn't worth the loss of a father and husband.

Those competent people you talk of could barely manage a tribute to the man today, Kenny was so incoherent earlier, he could hardly string a sentence together and Burton on the Matt Cooper Show this evening was an embarrassment.  Thankfully Cooper pulled her up on her pathetic story about the Green's pulling out of govt.

The awful illness that is pancreatic cancer has been the cause of the loss of a father and husband, you can hardly blame "the useless party".

Brian Lenihan has suffered awful misfortunes recent years, yes.  The greatest misfortune being his diagnosis and the lesser being the impossible situation he found himself in in govt.  He faced each with bravery that most people wouldn't dream of.  I don't think anyone could fail to recognise his dedication and patriotism.  I hope that despite the unbearable sadness that must be facing his family tonight, that they are able to take comfort in the achievements of their son/father/husband. RIP Brian

Stress accelerates chronic diseases like cancer. BL was under inhuman stress. They could have sorted out a national unity government .of all the talents not just politicians . look where the FF teachers and solicitors have brought the country.

Lar Naparka

I didn't know the man personally but I do believe that he was a decent and compassionate individual who took his public ad private duties seriously. I got this impression from talking to a good number f his friends and constituents.
I've been told that he was very shocked when he took over the reins in Finance and found out that the situation was far worse than he had been led to believe.
It's very probable that he did not step down when his medical condition was diagnosed because he felt it was his duty to persevere with the task he had undertaken.

I understand that the reason Ahern was reluctant to promote him was he was an independent thinker and was very unhappy with the policies the government were pursuing. 
I don't think he was an effective Minister for Finance but the situation was out of control by the time he took over and his deteriorating health must have been a big factor as well. Like his father before him with his infamous 'mature reflection' statement, BL's judgement was clouded by his personal health condition.

It's noteworthy that he was the only TD of the FF/ Green coalition who managed to retain his seat in the Dublin region. It's even more remarkable given that he was the one in charge of Finance and therefore most closely associated with the developing economic crisis.
I give him credit where it's due and I extend my condolences to  his family and friends.

Ar dhéis Dé go raibh a anam uasal.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi