Brian Lenihan RIP

Started by AbbeySider, June 10, 2011, 10:54:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AbbeySider

I know its on the death notices thread, but I think it deserves its own.

Very shocking, he went very quickly.

RIP

magpie seanie

I vaguely knew him in a passing sort of way for a time when I was in Dublin. Found him always to be a good, decent fella. I would still have some affection for him despite the disastrous policies of his time in finance. Very sad for his family. RIP.

balladmaker

I always considered him to be a man of integrity and one who believed passionately in what he was trying to achieve. 

May he rest in peace.

Ulick

From good stock and you couldn't doubt his integrity or courage. 

SLIGONIAN

I thought he was recovering well only to read this today, shocked, as above posters said, despite his disastrous policies i think we all know he believed he was acting in the best interests of the country,

Rest in Peace, condolescenes to his family and all that knew him.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

haze

Very sad news. I don't think anyone can deny he put his country before his own well being. I'm sure he would have been an inspiration for many people affected by cancer throughout the country
RIP

muppet

His illness was a terrible blow, to himself and his family obviously but also in that it put him above criticism at precisely the worst possible time. It gave him a gravitas and a sympathy that seemed to shelter him when he really needed to be challenged vigorously. I suspect now that the illness has taken him it will no longer protect his reputation.

He was a skilled politician particularly when questioned by opponents and journalists.

RIP.
MWWSI 2017

anglocelt39

Terribly sad for his wife and young family in particular. He landed into the post of Minister of Finance when irreparable damage had been done to the Country's finances. I thought he was doing his level best in an impossible situation when some of his colleagues had given up the ghost and/or gone on autopilot. The amount of stress and hassle he was dealing with at the time can't have done much for his overlall health.

RIP
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

Doogie Browser

I often wondered should he have been made to step aside as his health had to be the priority, but I guess it was the measure of the man that he wanted to continue in what was really a lose-lose situation.

orangeman

Shocking news.

He ignored his illness, put his head down and worked for the country.

For this he is to be commended.

He was a skilled poilitician and not many got the better of him.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

sammymaguire

DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

Rossfan

R I P.
Had been expecting it as I had heard some months ago he wouldnt be getting out of it.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

seafoid

He could walk all over Miriam O Callaghan.
What a tragedy for his family. I feel so sorry for his kids .
He should have resigned when he was first diagnosed.
But Fianna Fail had nobody to replace him. 

spuds

Tragic news for his family. Had great respect for the man for his efforts to steer us out of the mire that was not of his doing, at the greatest personal cost to him and his family. Not alone is it a sad day for his immediate family and friends but I would say a sad sad day for the country as a whole.
Ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard