The Cricket thread

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, March 05, 2007, 03:29:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyroneboi

lost by 9 wickets! the guy on sky sports is having a right go about ireland being in the super 8s - fcuk him!!!

Galwaybhoy

Very disapointing.

Listening to your man on Sky Sports there, he said that Ireland are not good enough to be in the Super 8, as its the place where all the big teams take each other on or some shite like that.  The other pundit compares them to some small English soccer club that got to an FA Cup final.  The bollox replies saying that team had to play a long string of games to get that far, but Ireland did not.  Is it just me or is that just shite logic from that ****.  Ireland had to play three group games to get this far and qualifiers before that as far as I know, so what the f**k is he going on about?  Yeah we are really out of our dept, but why do some of the pundits on TV continue to refuse to give Ireland credit for getting this far and instead continue to attack the team.

SammyG

Quote from: Galwaybhoy on April 13, 2007, 06:19:33 PM
Listening to your man on Sky Sports there, he said that Ireland are not good enough to be in the Super 8, as its the place where all the big teams take each other on or some shite like that.  The other pundit compares them to some small English soccer club that got to an FA Cup final.  The bollox replies saying that team had to play a long string of games to get that far, but Ireland did not.  Is it just me or is that just shite logic from that ****.  Ireland had to play three group games to get this far and qualifiers before that as far as I know, so what the f**k is he going on about?  Yeah we are really out of our dept, but why do some of the pundits on TV continue to refuse to give Ireland credit for getting this far and instead continue to attack the team.

I think your first sentence answers your last one. It's Sky FFS, they have to hype Engerlund and piss on everybody else, to justify the ridiculous contract they have with the ECB.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Galwaybhoy on April 13, 2007, 06:19:33 PM
Very disapointing.

Thought he was well out of order.

"Ireland shouldn't be here"

"Australia should have been playing Pakistan today"

I think some of these tubes would be happy to see a world cup consisting of England, Australia, India and South Africa playing each other every day for 4 weeks and shag everyone else. Can't imagine it would do much for raising the profile of the sport around the rest of the world though.

If one of the established nations can't beat a minnow they don't deserve to progress IMO. The way Pakistan were playing they probably wouldn't have done much better than Ireland in the Super 8's.

tyroneboi

Paul Allott told Sky Sports that the ICC need to rethink the format of the World Cup after Australia overwhelmed Ireland by nine wickets in their Super Eights 'miss-match' at the Kensington Oval in Barbados.

Ricky Ponting's men were at their ruthless best after winning the toss and electing to field, skittling the minnows out for just 91 off 30 overs.

Glenn McGrath, 3-17, and Shaun Tait, 3-39, did the damage early on, taking two wickets a piece inside the first five overs to leave Ireland floundering on 12-4.

Skipper Trent Johnston, 17, John Mooney, 23, and Kevin O'Brien, 16 then provided token resistance without ever threatening to escape the world champions iron grip.

The tournament favourites knocked off the runs before lunch reaching the target in 12.2 overs with Mike Hussey 30 n.o and Andrew Symonds 15 n.o gaining valuable time at the crease, after Johnston picked up the sole wicket of Adam Gilchrist for 34.

And Paul Allott told Sky Sports there was little Ireland could do in the face of the Australian juggernaut.

"Ireland were completely out of their depth today," Allott said.

"It may have an Eights match but it wasn't a super match, far from it. The ICC tried to engineer these Super Eights so that all the big teams are in.

"It should have been Australia versus Pakistan today, but Ireland beat Pakistan.

"It was great of them to do that but I think the ICC have to look at the earlier stages of the competition to try and ensure that the bigger teams get through, and that a fluke result doesn't cause somebody like Ireland to come into this level of the competition.

"You can't take anything away from Ireland but they just shouldn't be there at this stage of the competition. "

http://home.skysports.com/cwc/expert.aspx?lid=CWC_Column_-_Paul_Allott&hlid=460801&channel=cricket_world_cup&;

Star Spangler

Bangladesh 62/3.  The pressure's really on them now!

ONeill

Looking good.

138 for 8 in 33.4 overs. Only a catastrophic collapse will prevent Ireland from winning.

Howzat! - a fine victory.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

tyroneboi

Great stuff from the Irish wonder what that p***k from sky sports will have to say now!!

Rossie11

Fair play to them, would have been a shame for their tournament to collapse after the Aussie game.
Great captaincy from Johnson.

Gabriel_Hurl

So Ireland are officially a International one day side now after having beaten 2 member nations in the tournament

Gabriel_Hurl

ExiledGael

Good call Hurl, at least we leave the World Cup with our heads held high. The English, I'm glad to say, are an embarassment (yet again)

Square Ball

Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

blast05

Ho ho, wonder what the Sky Sports commentators have to say about this ! Looking like a defeat on par with Irelands against Australia

tyroneboi

David Gower, Ian Botham, Geoffrey Boycott, Nassir Hussain, PAUL ALLOT your boys took one hell of a beating!!!

UP YOURS ALLOT LETS HEAR WAT YA HAVE TO SAY NOW SON!!