Author Topic: The Cricket thread  (Read 143603 times)

BennyCake

• View Profile
Re: The Cricket thread
« Reply #1995 on: July 15, 2019, 11:12:24 PM »
Trinity College is a top place to sit and watch too if youre about Dublin. On a sunny day there could be hundreds sitting round, drinking beer, picnicking, smoking a doobie, not too many of them watching the cricket mind  :) Nevertheless a fantastic place to people watch and take in the sound of willow on leather.

Remember Frank Skinner saying similar in an interview. He said he used to go to Edgbaston to watch it, but the cricket itself was just a side issue. Watch the man bat, applaud, then turn around to your mate, and say so, what were you saying?

nrico2006

• View Profile
« Reply #1996 on: July 16, 2019, 12:21:28 AM »
Exactly that. Its cricket. Played in a few pockets of Ireland, generally in middle/upper class areas.

Like Strabane?

Apologies in advance to all resident in the Democratic Peoples Republic of Strabanistan.

Cricket is played in lots of areas which are not upper class, such as Strabane, Lurgan, Coleraine, Bready, Donemana, Sion Mills, Portadown, Armagh, Downpatrick.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

omaghjoe

• View Profile
« Reply #1997 on: July 16, 2019, 04:13:32 AM »
Trinity College is a top place to sit and watch too if youre about Dublin. On a sunny day there could be hundreds sitting round, drinking beer, picnicking, smoking a doobie, not too many of them watching the cricket mind  :) Nevertheless a fantastic place to people watch and take in the sound of willow on leather.

Remember Frank Skinner saying similar in an interview. He said he used to go to Edgbaston to watch it, but the cricket itself was just a side issue. Watch the man bat, applaud, then turn around to your mate, and say so, what were you saying?

Surprisingly as a Tyrone man my first experience of live cricket was in Africa....between west indies and Pakisrtan I think!
Expecting a snooze fest I was somewhat surprised at the lovely relaxed atmosphere and had a great time altogether.... even learned that England supporters can be alright sometimes.

I still dont really know the rules and have to relearn them every time cricket piques my interest. But I'd say this to anyone dissing it for whatever reason.......
....like baseball dont slang it until you've experienced a live match!

magpie seanie

• View Profile
« Reply #1998 on: July 17, 2019, 11:28:54 AM »
I wonder who the Great World Cup team will lose out in the Ashes team?

From yesterdays team these are who WILL play imo

Roy - probably/possibly
Bairstow - definitely, wont open though
Root - Cert, captain they would prefer him at 4 though
Morgan - zero chance, that ship has long sailed
Stokes - yes
Buttler - yes
Woakes -maybe
Plunkett - no
Archer - Will play a couple of tests, not sure how much 4/5 dayers hes even played
Rashid - will get time during the series
Wood - as with Rashid

Others who will play a part some major some minor - Anderson, Broad, Curran, Foakes, Ali, Burns, Jennings
Most of the English team seem like decent enough guys - Anderson and Broad on the other hand...

Always thought Jimmy was as sound as they come. Agree on Broad.

magpie seanie

• View Profile
« Reply #1999 on: July 17, 2019, 11:32:02 AM »
Was delighted Eoin Morgan captained England to the cricket World Cup. He has been instrumental in their transformation from a ho-hum cautious conservative side to the best in the one day game. He seems a really sound bloke as evidenced by his handling of an idiotic question afterwards so good luck to him. Dismissing cricket as an "English game" as many do is shortsighted. It's superb entertainment once you get waht's going on.

Owenmoresider

• View Profile
« Reply #2000 on: July 17, 2019, 01:06:38 PM »
Was delighted Eoin Morgan captained England to the cricket World Cup. He has been instrumental in their transformation from a ho-hum cautious conservative side to the best in the one day game. He seems a really sound bloke as evidenced by his handling of an idiotic question afterwards so good luck to him. Dismissing cricket as an "English game" as many do is shortsighted. It's superb entertainment once you get waht's going on.
Aye, their disastrous WC campaign in 2015 was a major wake-up call for them, and they appear to have invested serious time and effort into developing the one day setup since then, and it has paid off.

NAG1

• View Profile
« Reply #2001 on: July 17, 2019, 02:14:45 PM »

No issue with Morgan transferring over and fair play to him for his leadership and congrats on the win, but is it not galling to watch what we would consider a fellow Irishman standing to attention singing along to GSTQ? Even when some of his other foreign league of nations players do not?

Boycey

• View Profile
« Reply #2002 on: July 17, 2019, 02:45:07 PM »
He's the captain of the English team he pretty much has to sing it. He's kind of in a damned if he does and damned if he doesn't scenario.

under the bar

• View Profile
« Reply #2003 on: July 17, 2019, 02:47:46 PM »
He's the captain of the English team he pretty much has to sing it. He's kind of in a damned if he does and damned if he doesn't scenario.

Why would he have to? 

BennyCake

• View Profile
« Reply #2004 on: July 17, 2019, 03:14:49 PM »

The northern Protestant rugby players dont have to sing Amhran na bhfiann.

screenexile

• Up The Screen!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2005 on: July 17, 2019, 03:35:05 PM »

Why would he have to?

Because Piers Morgan is a p***k and made a big deal of it a year or two again.

Boycey

• View Profile
« Reply #2006 on: July 17, 2019, 04:14:40 PM »
He's the CAPTAIN, yeah he could play the mute and then run the gauntlet of the media plus social media etc etc... A bit like some in media, social media etc etc here that are annoyed cause he did sing it. Like I said damned if you do damned if you don't  :-\

Hound

• View Profile
« Reply #2007 on: July 17, 2019, 04:16:44 PM »
I was a bit put out initially when I saw Morgan singing the Anthem before the final. I'd be a big fan of his and was told he only started this relatively recently.

However, we do expect the Bundee Akis and Tony Cascarinos to mouth the anthems when they play for us, so good for the goose and all that.

Denn Forever

• Any means neccessary
    • View Profile
    • Malcolm x
« Reply #2008 on: July 17, 2019, 04:31:42 PM »
Team bonding maybe? 
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

magpie seanie

• View Profile
« Reply #2009 on: July 17, 2019, 05:13:23 PM »
I was a bit put out initially when I saw Morgan singing the Anthem before the final. I'd be a big fan of his and was told he only started this relatively recently.

However, we do expect the Bundee Akis and Tony Cascarinos to mouth the anthems when they play for us, so good for the goose and all that.

Didn't realise he sang the anthem....was aware of the controversy stoked by that troglodyte about it previously and had observed him not singing it. Only caught the end of the final the last day.

I suppose he's a brave while living there and playing for England. And curiously, my cricket following mates and I wouldn't mind seeing England win at all - completely at odds with how we'd feel about them in virtually all other sports.