The Cricket thread

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, March 05, 2007, 03:29:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gabriel_Hurl

QuoteWorld Cup Group D, Jamaica: Ireland v Zimbabwe
Match starts 1430 GMT Thursday

Ireland skipper Trent Johnston feels his side are ripe to cause an upset against an inexperienced Zimbabwe side when they meet in Jamaica on Thursday.

Player strikes and boycotts have recently hampered Zimbabwe's chances of putting together a competitive side.

Stuart Matsikenyeri is the only player remaining from 2003's World Cup squad.

"If we can turn up and bring our A-game to the park, especially against Zimbabwe, we think we have a chance to win," Australian-born Johnston said.

"We know we have a very tough group, but we have our plans in place, and we are looking to execute those plans.

"West Indies are going to be difficult to beat on home soil, Pakistan are a world-class team and Zimbabwe are capable of causing an upset, but there is no reason why we cannot cause an upset of our own.

"If a bit of luck goes our way, I believe we can make it to the next round."

Meanwhile, Zimbabwe captain Prosper Utseya admits that television footage and other information about Thursday's opponents has not been readily available.

"We have been seeking some information about them, but we feel no pressure because we have nothing to lose - we just have to play to our best," he said.

"We have been working very hard for the last two months, and have taken some positives out of our warm-up games."

Despite their inexperience, he added: "If the other sides in the group do not take us seriously, it will be to our advantage."

The sides last met in a two-match limited overs series four years ago, in which they both won one game - although the games were not recognised as official one-day internationals.

Ireland (from): T Johnston (capt), A Botha, J Bray, K Carroll, P Gillespie, D Langford-Smith, K McCallan, J Mooney, P Mooney, E Morgan, K O'Brien, N O'Brien, W Porterfield, B Rankin, A White.

Zimbabwe (from): P Utseya (capt), G Brent, J Chibhabha, E Chigumbura, K Dabengwa, T Duffin, A Ireland, F Kasteni, S Matsikenyeri, C Mpofu, T Mupariwa, E Rainsford, V Sibanda, B Taylor, S Williams.

Umpires: B Jerling (SA), I Gould (Eng)

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Gabriel_Hurl

Zimbabwe have won the toss and will bowl

Gabriel_Hurl

Gabriel_Hurl

Gabriel_Hurl

33/1 off 7

lucky one for Morgan there - through the hands of the slip fielder

Star Spangler

Going well now.  At this rate they're looking at something like 250 runs?

Gabriel_Hurl

If Bray goes we're fcuked

Botha hopefully stays in for a bit

Gabriel_Hurl

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.