Author Topic: The Cricket thread  (Read 142841 times)

Rich Ricci

• View Profile
Re: The Cricket thread
« Reply #2100 on: August 25, 2019, 04:21:15 PM »
That was incredible drama, they got a bit of luck but that was an incredible performance from Ben Stokes.

One of the most gutsy and ballsy sportsmen Iíve ever seen.

Orior

• View Profile
« Reply #2101 on: August 25, 2019, 04:38:33 PM »
And a great boost for all the little englanders who want Brexit
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

gallsman

• Retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #2102 on: August 25, 2019, 07:03:20 PM »
One of the reports I read yesterday evening said that the worst thing that could happen English test cricket would be a miraculous run chase to paper over the cracks of just how bad their test batting is at the minute.
"Never mind your why. Why ain't in your repetoire no more n***a"

Owen Brannigan

• View Profile
« Reply #2103 on: August 25, 2019, 08:52:05 PM »
One of the reports I read yesterday evening said that the worst thing that could happen English test cricket would be a miraculous run chase to paper over the cracks of just how bad their test batting is at the minute.

+1

It distracts from the failure of the selectors to choose a team capable of test cricket by pulling in limited overs experts; the poor captaincy by Root whose first time as captain was as England captain, no experience; and the failure of the top order batsmen.

In the end, England won this game by having a West Indian bowler barely out of residency qualification bring fast bowling to the Aussies and a Kiwi who is probably the best all-rounder in the world.

Boycey

• View Profile
« Reply #2104 on: August 25, 2019, 08:52:26 PM »

Both teams batting is pretty average in fairness, bar Smith obviously... Two good bowling attacks though. I'm heading to the first couple of days of the next test so was happy enough to see England keep the series alive

magpie seanie

• View Profile
« Reply #2105 on: August 25, 2019, 11:55:27 PM »
Just incredible stuff. I pity people who don't follow or get this.

I don't think it papers over any cracks....it just wins the test. Everyone knows England have problems and can't rely on heroics like this again. Series really well set up now. Aussies will be sick.

magpie seanie

• View Profile
« Reply #2106 on: August 25, 2019, 11:58:21 PM »

+1

It distracts from the failure of the selectors to choose a team capable of test cricket by pulling in limited overs experts; the poor captaincy by Root whose first time as captain was as England captain, no experience; and the failure of the top order batsmen.

In the end, England won this game by having a West Indian bowler barely out of residency qualification bring fast bowling to the Aussies and a Kiwi who is probably the best all-rounder in the world.

Ah come on. Moved to England when he was 12.

Hound

• View Profile
« Reply #2107 on: August 26, 2019, 07:55:05 AM »
That was the best innings I've ever seen. Stokes was just amazing.

In the end, they were blessed it wasn't a glorious failure. Should have lost it by 1 run, but for Lyon feckin up an easy runout and Aussies wasting their review when there was a clear enough lbw. But they were both Aussie mistakes (umpire of course was mistaken too, but bulk of the blame goes to the aussies for needlessly and stupidly burning their final review), and Stokes deserved that bit of luck.

gallsman

• Retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #2108 on: August 26, 2019, 09:20:20 AM »
Stokes' brilliance with the bat will also overshadow how much work he had to do with the ball in the second innings. Think I read that after Archer cramped up on Friday evening, Stokes bowled something like 22 consecutive overs across Friday evening and Saturday morning. He must have been absolutely shattered so to put in the shift he did yesterday is incredible. An all time great performance.

From an Aussie perspective, I know mistakes happen but the Lyon fumble when Leach should have been run out is inexcusable at that level.
"Never mind your why. Why ain't in your repetoire no more n***a"

screenexile

• Up The Screen!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2109 on: September 05, 2019, 05:23:15 PM »
How many Ben Stokes's will England need to win this one??!!

Smith is a machine!

Boycey

• View Profile
« Reply #2110 on: September 08, 2019, 09:29:45 PM »
That's The Ashes retained by Australia anyways, hope that finish in style with a win at The Oval this week. I was at the 1st two days at Old Trafford this past week and it was a privilege to see Smith in full flow.

Gabriel_Hurl

• View Profile
« Reply #2111 on: September 08, 2019, 10:02:10 PM »
Going to the Oval on Friday - hope to get to see Smith bat