Started by spuds, June 08, 2011, 02:01:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reillers

Quote from: heffo on August 04, 2011, 02:22:16 PM
Quote from: Reillers on August 04, 2011, 02:08:47 PM
Quote from: heffo on August 04, 2011, 01:57:55 PM
Quote from: Reillers on August 04, 2011, 01:24:03 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on August 04, 2011, 09:52:29 AM
I was delighted I took a spin in yesterday. Great game, and for Limerick to win with Declan Hannon being quiet for 50 minutes, and Downes being poor for 79 minutes was a great sign for them. There've been many brilliant games of hurling at Under 21 level now, it's a great competition.

A word for Aidan Walsh. He was unbelievable. 8 points from play I counted. He faded badly in extra time, but that was understandable given the 4 days he's had. He looks a real, real prospect for Cork.

Fantastic stuff, and well done Limerick.

Imagine what a decent structure would do.

Would it make a fella run faster or shoot more accurate in extra time?

If you can't see what a decent structure and proper management would do to this team (or any other team for that matter)..well that sums up everything about you doesn't it.

So am I to deduce that in Reillersland had there been a decent Mgt (the two Óg's perchance?) and a decent structure (as in not the panel of twenty turning up sucking on fags ten minutes before throw in) then Cork would have won?

I asked you before but never got an answer, has there ever been a Cork team that took the field and lost that were beaten by a better team? Certainly not in your time on this board..

Again clueless. It is widely known (by most) that the structures behind the underage system are outdated and ridiculous, rotten from the inside out. The management of the underage teams have been poor. Not so bad this season, but everything needs to be started again. Back to the basics. Decent management is what you want in the long run, passion can only get you so far.

As for Cork being beaten by a better team, obviously they have been, (again another brainless attempt to stirr by you) is Limerick one of them, the game was ours to loose and we lost. Limerick are an excellent team and it really is theirs to loose now.   

But again, if you think that poor structure/management involves 20 odd fellas smoking, well again that sums up nicely your knowledge of the game.

heffo

Quote from: Reillers on August 04, 2011, 02:37:50 PM
Quote from: heffo on August 04, 2011, 02:22:16 PM
Quote from: Reillers on August 04, 2011, 02:08:47 PM
Quote from: heffo on August 04, 2011, 01:57:55 PM
I was delighted I took a spin in yesterday. Great game, and for Limerick to win with Declan Hannon being quiet for 50 minutes, and Downes being poor for 79 minutes was a great sign for them. There've been many brilliant games of hurling at Under 21 level now, it's a great competition.

A word for Aidan Walsh. He was unbelievable. 8 points from play I counted. He faded badly in extra time, but that was understandable given the 4 days he's had. He looks a real, real prospect for Cork.

Imagine what a decent structure would do.

Would it make a fella run faster or shoot more accurate in extra time?

If you can't see what a decent structure and proper management would do to this team (or any other team for that matter)..well that sums up everything about you doesn't it.

So am I to deduce that in Reillersland had there been a decent Mgt (the two Óg's perchance?) and a decent structure (as in not the panel of twenty turning up sucking on fags ten minutes before throw in) then Cork would have won?

I asked you before but never got an answer, has there ever been a Cork team that took the field and lost that were beaten by a better team? Certainly not in your time on this board..

Again clueless. It is widely known (by most) that the structures behind the underage system are outdated and ridiculous, rotten from the inside out. The management of the underage teams have been poor. Not so bad this season, but everything needs to be started again. Back to the basics. Decent management is what you want in the long run, passion can only get you so far.

As for Cork being beaten by a better team, obviously they have been, (again another brainless attempt to stirr by you) is Limerick one of them, the game was ours to loose and we lost. Limerick are an excellent team and it really is theirs to loose now.   

But again, if you think that poor structure/management involves 20 odd fellas smoking, well again that sums up nicely your knowledge of the game.

Are you able to answer a direct question without resorting to waffle & cliche?

Last nights game was yours to lose? Why?

The U21 Competition is now Limericks to lose? Again why? Were you in Wexford park three weeks ago to see an impressive Dublin team hammer Wexford? What about Antrim?

imtommygunn

TG4 is a god send. The two best games of this year have been this U21 game and De LaSlle - Clarinsbridge in the club hurling (I still think this is possibly the best game of hurling I have ever seen). Both on TG4.

Antrim won't be a problem for other teams here. It's far from a given that Limerick will win the AI - Galway have been very strong in minors and are sure to challenge and Dublin have beat Wexford / Kilkenny so can't be discounted and are going to win an AI at underage sometime.

Reillers Cork hurling can't be in that bad a state if you can produce the likes of William Egan, Aidan Walsh and your no. 15 in extra time was immense too.

You boys, and not just one of you, ruin every thread with your bickering. It's also the same every time.

INDIANA

Quote from: Reillers on August 04, 2011, 02:07:36 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on August 04, 2011, 01:51:07 PM

Everything that can be done to get Walsh and Sheehan for that matter, to play with the hurlers next season, should be done.
Two incredible hurlers, unfortunately Sheehan was one of a few of key players we were missing.

Walsh did slow at the end but what else were we to expect. In a 4 day turn around from (an awful) game on the weekend, it was just a bit too much to be asked from the lad.

He's one of a few I'd have playing with the seniors. We've a good amount of U21s who are still eligible next season, there's about 9 of them. But those two are finished with the grade so hopefully that will take off that added pressure of playing U21s.

It was good to see such a display from a team that seems to have very little planning behind them. Imagine what a decent structure would do.

The wheel is turning, slowly, which is great seeing as we thought it had come to a complete standstill.

Walsh and Sheehan will win multiple all-irelands at football Reillers. Its highly unlikely either will ever win one with the cork hurlers.

So they shouldn't play dual so. So should all players outside of Kilkenny and Tipp just stop playing hurling all together because it's highly unlikely they'll win with their counties.

Its not possible to be a good dual player. Look at Cadogan. Completely falling between two stools. The minute he was training for crok full time at football he was their best player against Down and Mayo.

Cork are 5 years off winning a hurling all-ireland at least. They'll win 2 at football in that period of time in my view.

Reillers

Quote from: imtommygunn on August 04, 2011, 04:57:34 PM
TG4 is a god send. The two best games of this year have been this U21 game and De LaSlle - Clarinsbridge in the club hurling (I still think this is possibly the best game of hurling I have ever seen). Both on TG4.

Antrim won't be a problem for other teams here. It's far from a given that Limerick will win the AI - Galway have been very strong in minors and are sure to challenge and Dublin have beat Wexford / Kilkenny so can't be discounted and are going to win an AI at underage sometime.

Reillers Cork hurling can't be in that bad a state if you can produce the likes of William Egan, Aidan Walsh and your no. 15 in extra time was immense too.

You boys, and not just one of you, ruin every thread with your bickering. It's also the same every time.

TG4 have been on the money this year, while RTE are falling over themselves trying to get the "big games" in, TG4 are actually showing the game at it's, almost, rawest stage. What's so great about the U21s is that it is just about the hurling and we saw that last night.

It's not about producing players in Cork, that's not really the problem, it's what we do with them, like I said before, a player can only go so far themselves. They lack the basics, the backing, the structure that's all missing from the underage scene at Cork.

For example, it was great to see direct hurling last night (and I mean great) but it didn't mean that we couldn't have a great defence and better structure to the game. At times it seemed that they were playing like they were out of the passion they had, and the will to win, rather than direction. I'm not sure if that came across last night.
I don't want to take anything away from the current management there, they've done a good job this season, but the underage structure is fundamentally flawed and it needs to be fixed from the inside out.

As for the rest of the U21 campaign I think that on performance and confidence it seems like Limerick's to loose, Galway are always there, Dublin will give it a go, we'll have to see what happens, but I think Limerick on last night's display, if they can reproduce it will be an incredibly hard team to beat.

Some of the best displays of hurling I've seen have been U21 games, mostly Cork and Tipp ones, and the one last night was again, for me the game of the year (just sickening that we didn't bring it home) and you have clowns saying that the Munster championship is dead.

As for the last bit, I agree 100% our constant bickering ruins every topic.

INDIANA

When Reillers stops talking about Dublin in such a condescending manner Tommy -we'll stop. Some of the crap he spouts in relation to us cant be allowed go and wont be if we have anything to do with it.

Until then.....................

stevetharlear

Cadogan is not a hurling full back, and looks out of his depth at times there. His game would be better suited to half back. Every time he takes to a football field he is one of the best on show. Whether he has hurled the week before or not. I think people blame the dual player issue for his bad showing in hurling, when maybe he's not as good or out of position in the hurling. No reason Walsh, Sheehan and Cahalane couldn't do the same.

Fair play Limerick last night, even though we lost I was happy enough at the end, that kind of game warms the heart!

deiseach

Quote from: stevetharlear on August 04, 2011, 10:04:37 PM
Fair play Limerick last night, even though we lost I was happy enough at the end, that kind of game warms the heart!

+1 for such a generous sentiment. I couldn't be that magnanimous

Reillers

Quote from: deiseach on August 05, 2011, 09:07:41 AM

+1 for such a generous sentiment. I couldn't be that magnanimous

This.
It's very hard in a game like this to be anything but settled with the result. No ifs and buts, both teams gave everything and more, either team could have won it, a toss of a coin, the results the result.

And it's good for Limerick that they managed it, they needed the win just as much as Cork did.

Best of luck to them for the rest of the comp, I think, and hope they'll go all the way. When you play like they did on in the Munster final they deserve it. It's still a bit to go yet though.

The game was the stand out game of the year, sickened that we lost it in the end, but there's no question about it, we saw 2 outstanding teams, and it was one of those games where (as cliched as it sounds) hurling was the winner.

Reillers

Cadogan is not a hurling full back, and looks out of his depth at times there. His game would be better suited to half back. Every time he takes to a football field he is one of the best on show. Whether he has hurled the week before or not. I think people blame the dual player issue for his bad showing in hurling, when maybe he's not as good or out of position in the hurling. No reason Walsh, Sheehan and Cahalane couldn't do the same.

I agree, it's not that it can't be done, it has been and is still done. I just think Cadogan wasn't the best example. It's about the player, and their ability.

Sheehan and Walsh played a lot over the last 1/2 years or so, with their colleges, with their clubs, and IC as well, seniors and U21s.

With the U21s finished hopefully there'll be less pressure, and hopefully we'll have 2 managers who will support and cooperate with each other helping them play dual if they want. Everything should be done to get them on to the senior hurlers.

Minder

Another cracker on TG4 now.

Galway 0-18 Limerick 2-11. 47th minute
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

GalwayBayBoy

FT

Galway 0-22 Limerick 2-14

Looking like Galway v Dublin in both minor and U-21 finals this year unless Antrim can spring a major surprise.

heffo

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on August 20, 2011, 07:49:04 PM

Looking like Galway v Dublin in both minor and U-21 finals this year unless Antrim can spring a major surprise.

The game was played @ 4pm.

Dublin won by 26.

Minder

Quote from: heffo on August 20, 2011, 07:49:48 PM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on August 20, 2011, 07:49:04 PM

The game was played @ 4pm.

Dublin won by 26.

Coverage on TG4 now
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Lecale2

Good match. Why did Limerick go for goal near the end? Only 2 in it and 3 minutes left.