ulster semi final tyrone v donegal

Started by rrhf, June 06, 2011, 10:51:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Quote from: All of a Sludden on June 26, 2011, 05:37:50 PM
Congrats to Donegal, despite playing against 16 men they managed to make it to an Ulster final.

I think Tyrone would say otherwise, McLoone should certainly have seen red for his hit on Joe McMahon. Donegal posed no real goal threat whilst Joe was on the park and the ref made a big call wrong there. I actually felt the ref was ok until the closing stages when he seemed to lose the head a little.

Tyrone got what they deserved today from what was a very poor game of football. The game was there to be won and coming in just two points ahead was a very poor return on the first half dominance. Too many poor wides and the ball being given away cheaply as well. Losing possesion was our downfall in the second half too, typified by Donegal getting the winning goal from Tyrone slackness whilst on the attack. The oft made point about the failure to renew this team was proved right as the team looked a bit stale and the old heads being called ashore in the closing stages. As I said earlier in the thread an opportunity to fuse the best of the older players with the younger generation has been missed. Don't see any real hope of Tyrone doing much in the qualifiers and hopefully the rebuild will now start.

Didn't think Donegal played all that well today actually but they got the job done. Big win for them and congratulations to them. No bad thing for Ulster football to have neither Armagh or Tyrone in the final.

Radda bout yeee

F*ck sake playing Davy Harte every minute of every game makes me ill! So frustrating!!!!!

maggie

A bad day at the office. Tyrone should have been 4/5 points up at half time. Joe was a very big loss for us. He was having a fantastic game up til then.

FairyWaterDuke

Tyrone will get back in the series. No doubt about that - glad to be out of the ulster cesspit and concentrate on playing football. Poor old Donegal won't get far if they can't learn how to tackle properly. Glad to hear RTE no brainers tipping Longford blah blah - any chance for good old whine against Tyrone. Can't wait for the next game now with the best squad of players in Ireland. The 1st half showed why with our shooting boots on (from frees Pete!) that we should really have swallowed up Donegal. Surprised how poor Dongegal were after the hype surrounding the game - they were terrible, worse i've seen for a while now.

Tyrone have the attitude and players to work their way into August. Mickey knows the way forward and it isnt through Ulster. Not for this great team anyway.

Aaron Boone

James91

I think its fair to say both teams played badly...And I dont think it was because of gameplans, i think they both did play badly aswell.

Tyrone are definetly not finished though and both teams are better than they showed today I think. (Hopefully)

Armaghgael

I hope to God that Derry hammer yas off the field because yous are the worst footballing side in Ireland witha doubt

Doire Abu!
If in doubt.......take man and ball!

Etienne Lantier

Oh these grapes, they may be sour, but, man, they taste damn fine to me!

onefaircounty

Quote from: FairyWaterDuke on June 26, 2011, 06:47:00 PM
Tyrone will get back in the series. No doubt about that - glad to be out of the ulster cesspit and concentrate on playing football. Poor old Donegal won't get far if they can't learn how to tackle properly. Glad to hear RTE no brainers tipping Longford blah blah - any chance for good old whine against Tyrone. Can't wait for the next game now with the best squad of players in Ireland. The 1st half showed why with our shooting boots on (from frees Pete!) that we should really have swallowed up Donegal. Surprised how poor Dongegal were after the hype surrounding the game - they were terrible, worse i've seen for a while now.

Tyrone have the attitude and players to work their way into August. Mickey knows the way forward and it isnt through Ulster. Not for this great team anyway.

Haterz gotta hate

orangeman

Fair play to Donegal. The tactics were clear - just keep the score down and hope that with 10 minutes left, Donegal would be there or therebouts - the tactics worked to a T.

The goals were god sends for Donegal.

Tyrone's free taking cost them the game - biggest turning point was at the end of the 2nd half, Stephen O'Neill was bearing down on goal, was blatantly fouled, got no free, Donegal come up the field and score and instead of it being 7-3 at half time, it was 6-4 - big difference - Mc Guinness would have went in at half time thinking Christmas had come early.

Longford will be tough.

FairyWaterDuke

If you think Longford will put one over on Tyrone think again. More likely Armagh will be beaten at home.

Mickey will have the team fully prepared. Will be good to play a team thats not entirely set up to sit back and lunge a few high balls in. Says something about the quality of Tyrone that teams think of us before they think of their own game plans. Maybe McGuiness is too focused on being a football guru than just a good coach. Do Dongeal have a game plan or it is just fouling and saying we have michael murphy.

Tyrone have to be more accurate in front of goal the next day. Would love to meet Donegal again to pull a blanket on them and lunge a few up to Kevin Hughes in full forward. Roll on Tyrone football and the long summer.

J70

Quote from: ck on June 26, 2011, 11:16:23 AM
Quote from: Cáthasaigh on June 26, 2011, 10:46:52 AM
Quote from: thebuzz on June 26, 2011, 10:39:08 AM

If Mickey goes Tyrone mightn't win Sam in the next twenty years. They had excellent teams before he came along and they never won. He'll get around to the rebuilding when he's ready.

We should just 'wait til Mickey feels like it' then. Don't think so, time Raymond Munroe had his chance.

This is the kinda crap that gives this pages a bad name. You have Mickey Harte and Dooher up for the chop BEFORE and Ulster final. WHY? Crazy stuff. Both will silence many of you headers today.
As for Raymond Munroe? Why on earth would he be given a shot even if Mickey were to stand down? He flopped as U.21 manager this year so in what basis would he make a step up?
Tyrone will show many today why they remain one of teh best teams in the country and this over hyped Donegal team can enter the qualifiers where they belong.

Hope you and the boys shouting "easy, easy" in the first half enjoy the qualifiers.

Family guy

Your actually rite,them knobs that were singing easy easy must feel like rite tits now

J70

Thrilled to win such a tight tense game, but if Tyrone had a reliable freetaker, we'd be in the qualifiers instead. Leo McLoone should have got the line as well, and overall it was a very, very nervous display in the first 25 minutes, when Tyrone should have been out of sight. So we definitely rode our luck.
On the plus side, result apart, the defense was superb. Monstrous games again from Lacey and McGee in particular, but the team as a whole defended superbly from about the 25th minute till the end of the game. The lads up front battled well, but the quality of the ball in was poor for most of the game and the Tyrone backs played very well too. The amount of breaking ball we lost for the first 50 minutes of the game would be a big worry as well going in against Derry. But hopefully they can address those issues and take confidence from today's performance and not start as nervously again. Until this season, that team would have lay down after 20 minutes and got tanked!

under the bar

McCloone was a disgrace.  Came on, or was sent on, with the job of putting McMahon out of the  game.  A cowardly punch on the jaw from behind was the plan/instruction and it paid dividends.   

That said you can't expect to win an Ulster semi-final by scoring only 9 points so well done to the other Donegal players as their game plan paid off.  Just like against the Jacks last year the wides tally cost Tyrone dearly.