Munster Champions 2011?

Cork
11 (50%)
Kerry
11 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Voting closed: July 10, 2011, 09:35:01 PM

CorkMan

Munster Final 2011.Opened this thread for a bit of friendly rivalry ::)(yeah right ;D) .Thoughts? Cork to edge a close game I think

Blowitupref

Killarney venue should swing it for Kerry however i still think Cork will win the All Ireland.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

DuffleKing

You'd wonder why they bother with the munster championship. Safer just fixing this formally at the start of the year and not have cork + kerry pretend to be doing anything other than preparing for the AI quarter final. How many of the squad have cork given a run out to now?

marym

Not sure how many have got a run but I read that 8 of last years panel are gone/ retired or injured. Think Anthony Lynch is the only one who has not got a run. They have transferred a few others to the junior panel.Eoin Cotter was very good yesterday.

CorkMan

Not too sure either about how many,but they made six changes to the team from the Clare game plus subs.That would surely add up to nearly thirty

Corcaigh Abu

Kerry have a lethal forward line but from 1-9 there not as strong as they were.I think we have a better balanced team and a stronger panel.All our forwards are well capable of taking there scores and we should be too strong for them in midfield.It will be a battle but im confident that we can get our first win in Killarney since 1995.Corcaigh Abu. :)
Roses Are Red,Violets Are Blue,We have 120 All Irelands, How Many Have You?

Rossfan

Quote from: DuffleKing on June 06, 2011, 07:24:22 AM
You'd wonder why they bother with the munster championship.

They must be seeing the same thing in Ulster  seeing as Armagh/Tyrone have been the onlt teams to win up there this century  ;)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

armaghniac

Perhaps only Tyrone and Armagh win Ulster, but they come through tight games to do that.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

comethekingdom

Quote from: armaghniac on June 06, 2011, 07:04:41 PM
Perhaps only Tyrone and Armagh win Ulster, but they come through tight games to do that.
Thats only cos their not much better than the others. ;)

Mike Sheehy

Quote from: armaghniac on June 06, 2011, 07:04:41 PM

What is the procedure to get the championship format changed ? I assume there would have to be some motion at congress ?

bennydorano

I dout it'll come in this game, but I think Cork are on the verge of giving Kerry a good shoeing at some stage.  Kerry are a team on the way down meeting a team on the way up who could be something special, it's coming! 

SuperDooperCooper

Quote from: bennydorano on June 06, 2011, 08:53:49 PM
I dout it'll come in this game, but I think Cork are on the verge of giving Kerry a good shoeing at some stage.  Kerry are a team on the way down meeting a team on the way up who could be something special, it's coming!

Jesus they gave a hammering in Cork in 2009 in the semi final replay by about 8 points. They gave us a hammering in 2006 in the Munster Final replay by about 6 or so as well. Cork are on the way up alright however this Cork team still is not the finished article (whatever that is). Their defence also has questions marks over it (2-8 vs Waterford) and while the win a load of possession in midfield they don't use it very well. They won the all-ireland last year on place kicking having came through a good few tight games. Their natural leaders are aging (Canty & Murphy) and apart from Sheehan all their forward are markable. Despite this they are the best team left and they should have enough to beat us in Killarney in a tight game.

Attendances at Kerry Cork matches have been steadily declining over the naughties from approx 48K in 2000 to an average of 25 to 30k now. However I feel the trend will be broken this year and a bumper crowd will turn out (especially with the Cork hurlers in a bad place right now). Really looking forward to it after the disappointment of Saturday night. 

marym

I was at the game yesterday and would not agree that canty and Murphy are the leaders anymore. Shields, Walsh Kelly and Sheehan have taken over. Murphy is only on for mins  this year.

Tatler Jack

Will be interesting game - Kerry anxious to get to Croker by the shortest possible route, Cork anxious to beat Kerry in Killarney having thrown away the chance to do so last year. I think Cork's power around the middle will be a key factor and the Kerry forwards will not get the kind of service they got v Tipp and Limerick and that allowed them to display their talents. This will be a much more intense affair with less time on the ball and I don't think Sheehan and Maher can match the various Cork midfield combinations - especially Aidan Walshe. Still a while away but if Cork have a full squad available  I think they will win it.

Orangemac

While neither team will want to lose this game does it really matter in the grand scheme of things?

Cork and Kerry will be playing in Croke Park later this year and that is the big one for Cork. They have still to beat Kerry when it counts and that test will still be waiting for them after the Munster Final.