Cavan V Sligo

Started by SLIGONIAN, March 05, 2007, 01:58:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BallyhaiseMan

Seanie
This Cavan team aint bad really,They had a bit of an offday,You should give a bit more credit to your boys i think,My views on the Cavan team and their performance is on view on the Cavan thread,
For Sligo
Noel McGuire gave an exhibition at Full back,The only word to describe him yesterday was Awesome
Cornerback Ross Donovan stuck like glue to Pierson i think it was,Looks a class act
If i were a sligo man id be disappointed in O Hara last night,Caught some good ball,But the Surging runs which we have come accustomed to,werent there,Possibely the legs arent there at this time of year.
Number 24 Fergus Horan didnt make much of an impact
Mark Brehony is a lovely striker of the ball from place balls and from play.
i thought Sean Davey was very poor at Full forward,id have expected him to beat Forde in the aerial exchanges,Thought he was a better player to be honest.
David kelly the small corner forward is very light but jesus the guy can move,If he had have gotten more service,He could have been a match winner,Because he had the legs on Martin Cahill.

magpie seanie

Maybe I was being a bit harsh. I saw the comments of the Cavan lads on the Cavan thread and would agree with a lot. Our full back line is quite good and most do not get much change out of them. Our half backs, with the possible exception of J.Davey were poor. Fergus Horan is very inexperienced at this level and while he didn't make much impact as you say, he did do marginally better than I thought he would. O'Hara appeared to get a dead leg riding a challenge in the first half (remember he was down for a good while) and wasn't 100% for the rest of the game. We have such a dearth of midfield talent that on one leg he's worth keeping on. Mark Breheny has improved hugely and his sending off jiggered us altogether. He was always accurate and a good passer but for his size he's got very strong. Seán Davey is simply the most overrated footballer in Sligo. He regularly plays worse and doesn't get taken off. David Kelly is like forked lightening but as you say we are still not using him correctly. He is young and needs to work on his game too but he has great raw material to work with.

Like Mylestheslasher I thought that Hughes from Tyrone rode us, especially in the first half. He has done us several times (was the linesman that incorrectly identified O'Hara v. Westmeath last year for instance) and I reckoned he wasn't going to let us get out of there last night with anything. We are in the shit now, having to get at least two wins out of our final 3 games - away to Wexford, home to Antrim and away to Wicklow in Aughrim. Possible but bloody hard.

hungryhill

How does the finisheng league status affect Sligo in the Campionship? Or does it affect Sligos league status next year?

magpie seanie

Hungryhill - it impacts on both Championship this year and league next year. If Sligo finish in the bottom 4 we aren't eligible for the qualifiers this year (i.e. would have to win Connacht to progress) and would go straight into the Tommy Murphy Cup if we are beaten in the championship. It would also mean we would be in Division 4 of the league next year. If we finished in 3rd or 4th we would wind up in Div 3.

baoithe

Seanie, I see from the match report in the Irish Times that Paul Taylor came on and scored three points. Is this correct?

Onlooker

Even if Sligo finish in the bottom four in Div. 2B, they will still play in the qualifiers if they reach the Connacht Final.  By the way, i reckon that the top 4 teams in Div. 2B will be Meath, Wexford, Cavan and probably Sligo.

magpie seanie

Taylor kicked three good frees (one with the left, two with the right) and did more in ten minutes than Seán Davey did in the whole game, which wasn't much. He's a good bit off the pace though but has two great feet.