Death of Clare Footballer

Started by DownFanatic, June 01, 2011, 11:33:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DownFanatic

Clare GAA has been plunged into grief by the sudden death of senior county footballer Niall White.

The 23-year-old St Joseph's Doora-Barefield clubman was a member of the Clare senior football panel for the past three years and represented his county in the 2011 McGrath Cup final against Kerry in January as well as the recent national football league.

The dual star excelled in both codes with his club and had only recently rejoined St Joseph's for training after recovering from an injury sustained on county duty.

Doora-Barefield club PRO Seamus O'Sullivan says: "The club is still in shock and coming to terms with the news. We still cannot believe the news about Niall. Such a young man, this is a terrible tragedy. He was so talented, a totally committed hurler and footballer. This is a terrible loss to his family."

County Board chairman Michael O'Neill adds: "Clare GAA's deepest sympathies go out to the White family at this time. Niall played with the county senior footballers this year and Clare GAA is in shock at this very sad news."

Clare senior football coach Micheál McDermott also paid tribute to the deceased: "Niall was a young lad that we had on the Clare panel for the last two or three years. What you got from Niall was huge honesty and commitment. It's a tragedy that a life as promising as his was cut short. His family has suffered a huge loss and our thoughts and prayers are with them at this time."

mylestheslasher

Very sad, since no cause of death was given I think we all know what it was. So difficult for a family to deal with. Rest in peace.

SLIGONIAN

Very sad news, condolescenes to his family and friends and Clare GAA, may he rest in peace.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

boojangles

Norf Tyrone

RIP
Was this young fella talked about in 'the club'?
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

spuds

"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

macdanger2

Very sad news, really puts it all in perspective.

condolences to his family

Kerry Mike

Just heard about this earlier this evening and am shocked tot read it here too, I worked with this fellow's father many years ago in Shannon, a passionate GAA man originally from Laois, but had not made the link until I heard the news this evening from a friend. Its very sad for the whole family and my thoughts and prayers are with them. may he RIP
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

Donnellys Hollow

Ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam uasal.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on June 02, 2011, 12:03:40 AM
RIP

I think so. The name rings a bell from it. Terrible tragedy, RIP and I hope family and friends can find the strength they need.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

Blowitupref

Very sad end to such a young life, may he RIP.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Banana Man

Denn Forever

Saw this in the deaths thread but thought it was a shout out for an old stager who was a star in yesteryear.

Thoughts are with the family and friends.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

AZOffaly

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on June 02, 2011, 02:15:20 AM
RIP

I think so. The name rings a bell from it. Terrible tragedy, RIP and I hope family and friends can find the strength they need.

Awful news. RIP. I think he is in the club, he was the lad they called Whitey I think, a corner back.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 02, 2011, 10:57:12 AM
Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on June 02, 2011, 02:15:20 AM
RIP

Awful news. RIP. I think he is in the club, he was the lad they called Whitey I think, a corner back.

Whitey rings a bell alright, shocking, ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...