Panorama - An abuse of Adults with Learning Disabilities

Started by Sonny Joe, June 01, 2011, 01:28:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sonny Joe

An abuse of adults with Learning Disabilities

Watched this last night and was simply shocked. What kind of society are we?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b011pwt6/Panorama_Undercover_Care_The_Abuse_Exposed/
If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?

Groucho

Very disturbing....couldn't watch more than 20 mins.
I like to see the fairways more narrow, then everyone would have to play from the rough, not just me

EC Unique

As somebody with a relaetion with mental disabilities this has me absolutely seething. I would love to get my hands on those bastar.ds. The authorities would need to take a look at themselves considering that this sort of abuse could happen in 2011. >:(

HiMucker

Sonny Joe i was going to start a thread on this when I came back from my lunch and you beat me to it.  A bloody disgrace, but wait til you see the pitiful sentences these guys involved get which will be an even bigger disgrace.  I too found it very hard to watch when you know that they wouold be doing that to one of your loved ones if they were looking after them.  Felt like turning it off when listening to the patients poor parents, but somethings although difficult are better off seeing and hearing.

LeoMc

It was hard to watch. I only kept going because I was hoping for a nice wrap up detailing the abusers and what they were being charged with.
>:(
We would have read about outrages like the Magdalane laundries and said "something like that could not happen nowadays".

ziggysego

I was out last night at the cinema, but different ones were telling me about the programme. Truly horrific and unimagineable. It's disgusting these animals can get away with it for so long.
Testing Accessibility

Tony Baloney

I'd say this sort of thing is widespread. People who prey on the vulnerable in society are about as low as you can go. Scumbags. They should be jailed for the maximum tariff available and banned from working in any jobs requiring a level of trust.

mylestheslasher

Someone once said society should be measured by how it treats the weak and vunerable. This says a lot about Ireland after the Celtic tiger. Some of those f**kers would treat their dog better.

ziggysego

Quote from: mylestheslasher on June 01, 2011, 07:21:17 PM
Someone once said society should be measured by how it treats the weak and vunerable. This says a lot about Ireland after the Celtic tiger. Some of those f**kers would treat their dog better.

Happened in England.
Testing Accessibility

mylestheslasher

Quote from: ziggysego on June 01, 2011, 09:53:59 PM
Quote from: mylestheslasher on June 01, 2011, 07:21:17 PM

Happened in England.

True but I would've always thought the Irish would have been better than that  given the close knit communities that make up the country. Maybe I was wrong.

dillinger

It was a horrible thing to watch. Why did the programme makers let it go on for, think 5 weeks? OK, they needed the edivince. but 5 weeks. Don't know about anyone else but all i thought during it was let me in a room with one of them and lets see what happens when they face someone who can fight back.

attheraces

Quote from: dillinger on June 03, 2011, 01:10:51 AM
It was a horrible thing to watch. Why did the programme makers let it go on for, think 5 weeks? OK, they needed the edivince. but 5 weeks. Don't know about anyone else but all i thought during it was let me in a room with one of them and lets see what happens when they face someone who can fight back.

Dillinger you reckon you can fight then ;)

Though yeh it was shocking, said exact same thing myself, surely it didn't take 5 weeks to get all in all 30/40 mins footage. Maybe they wanted to ensure they nailed these guys and really show how bad it was, I find it hard to fathom that they would have stayed in any longer than what was required. Truly barbaric stuff, cowards every single last one of them.
I intend to live forever. So far, so good.

omagh_gael

Have yet to see this programme but work for a company who support adults with a LD. We provide supported living in the community for those who would otherwise be forced to live in large institutions  and can provide some comfort in that there have never been more opportunities for those with a LD and top quality facilities and care available in our community. Thankfully In all my experiences I have yet to see any form of maltreatment or abuse.

dillinger

Dillinger you reckon you can fight then ;)

T
[/quote]

Even if i couln't i would still like to have a go at them. ;D