Norris, David
7 (3.4%)
Scallon, Dana Rosemary
7 (3.4%)

Total Members Voted: 206

Ulick

Quote from: Ulick on October 25, 2011, 01:59:20 PM
Quote from: Ulick on October 25, 2011, 01:42:10 PM
Gallagher and McGuinness are live on Northern Sound now.

Gallagher didn't show-up.  ???

Cancelled appearances in Waterford and Kilkenny also.

gallsman

Quote from: lynchbhoy on October 25, 2011, 01:34:01 PM
the IRA never targetted 'innocents' - though disasterously some were killed in attacks.

That's a blatant lie and you know it.

cicfada

Fianna Fails bank have confirmed that the cheque from Morgan fuels was deposited before the  fund raiser so  Gallagher could not have got a cheque from  Morgan when he gave him the photo of the fund raising event!! Makes him  more of a an eejit buit interestingly makes MMG out to be mistaken/a liar!!

rrhf

Perhaps a fianna fail by proxy candidate was finally shown up last night.  Honesty from the start and he could still be in the running for president.  But up to yesterdays debate, I felt the country was mad looking to bring in Fianna Fail again even by the back door. The brown envelope. 
I think Michael D is sitting back, rubbing the hands saying its coming to me but not prepared to work for it.  The media have obviously found no skeletons in his cupboard and thats why he may win. 
Martin seems to be the best candidate by a country mile and is afraid of no one, but Kenny was the man with the butchers knife last night.
Gay Mitchell would be president of an anger management association.
Dana is a nonsense of a candidate.
Michael D isnt really serious but he can be seriously funny. 
Can Mary Davies pick up votes.  Well O Neill says he would give her one.  Im not so sure. 
Overall I think Mc Guinness can still lift the tin cup.  Whether thats everyone cup of tea is another matter, but he has done the business with the unionists in the North so he will do the business for his fellow countrymen in the South.  The ARAS would not be a retirement home for him.  For everyone else I think it would be either that, or an ego trip.     

Jim_Murphy_74

Quote from: lynchbhoy on October 25, 2011, 02:02:29 PM
I know i've not always seen eye to eye with you Jim, but you are 100% right above.
I'd like to hear what your view on mcguinness is also.

Lynchboy,

I suspect this where you go back to not seeing eye to eye with you but as you asked:

1.  I think MMcG is a liar.  I'd actually buy that a former member of a subversive organisation may need to be coy about his past.  That said, I find MMcG partial revelations too much.  For example I just don't believe he left the IRA on some arbitrary date in 1974.  If he is proud of his past then why this kind of nonsense?  What changed in 1974?  I just don't buy it.

2.  I don't believe his answers to David Kelly about what happened in Ballinamore.  I won't for one minute claim that Marty knows everyone who killed anyone but for such a high-profile incident, I believe all senior members of the Republican movement know who was involved.

3.  ( On this point I must point out that I know some of Ben O'Sullivan's family) I think that (caused by others) MMcG as a president would run into huge issues with the kind of verbal gymnastics that he has used to date when pushed on his views of Jerry McCabes killers.  I believe that there is more to that story (ie why it was murder, not manslaughter) and this could still come out in time.    It would be a huge issue if some ever found a link to damery or roche for example.

4. For various reasons of policy and experience I don't have time for Sinn Féin just as some people have no time for other parties.

/Jim.

Ulick

Quote from: cicfada on October 25, 2011, 02:25:47 PM
Fianna Fails bank have confirmed that the cheque from Morgan fuels was deposited before the  fund raiser so  Gallagher could not have got a cheque from  Morgan when he gave him the photo of the fund raising event!! Makes him  more of a an eejit buit interestingly makes MMG out to be mistaken/a liar!!

Not quite. McGuinness never said whether he got the cheque before or after the dinner, Gallagher added the bit about the photo and envelope himself.

Applesisapples

Hugh Morgan did absolutely nothing wrong. He gave a donation to the ruling party in the Republic so that he could attend a function with Brian Cowan. This happens all the time in business, Chambers, Lions Clubs etc ask leading politicians and personalities to events to raise funds. FF were within their rights to run this event...nothing to do with some of the strokes pulled by some FFers. Sean Gallaghers problem is that he lied about a number issues. Had he put his hands up and admitted he collected the check so what. But instead he attacked Hugh Morgan's renting the office to SF and then had to about turn on his meeting of Hugh.

Hound

Quote from: Applesisapples on October 25, 2011, 02:32:08 PM
Hugh Morgan did absolutely nothing wrong. He gave a donation to the ruling party in the Republic so that he could attend a function with Brian Cowan. This happens all the time in business, Chambers, Lions Clubs etc ask leading politicians and personalities to events to raise funds. FF were within their rights to run this event...nothing to do with some of the strokes pulled by some FFers. Sean Gallaghers problem is that he lied about a number issues. Had he put his hands up and admitted he collected the check so what. But instead he attacked Hugh Morgan's renting the office to SF and then had to about turn on his meeting of Hugh.
Gallagher's problem is he's not a politician so wouldnt be used to how to deal with these petty arguments.
And this 5k cheque is an absolute nothing.

Gallagher was caught on the hop. You could see at the debate that he didnt know what to do because he probably couldnt remember what had happened.

Given the poor quality of all 7, he's still the best man for the job though IMO. The only one who we could send to meet foreign dignitaries and businesses and could sell Ireland as a place to do business. Which is the main positive thing a president can do in my view.

Higgins would be one of the worst. It'd be a retirement home for him and he'd be a joke/parody figure for his term.

Has McGuinness actually apoligised for his IRA past, as lynchbhoy said a few times in the last couple of pages? If so, that would push him up my list. But previously on this thread (during the Michael Collins comparisons!) the IRA lads on here said that MMcG has never apoligised for being in the IRA and stands over what was done?

armaghniac

Quote from: rrhf Overall I think Mc Guinness can still lift the tin cup.

I am sure that you can have a tidy little earner at 50/1.

Quote from: Hound Which is the main positive thing a president can do in my view.

The main thing the president has to do is constitutional, not acting as a glammed up IDA rep.

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Hardy

Quote from: Applesisapples on October 25, 2011, 02:11:45 PM
Quote from: Sea The Stars on October 25, 2011, 11:23:52 AM
Unbelievable that Murderer McGuinness leads the poll on Gaa Board. Must be a large number of posters from Northern Ireland who thankfully won't be voting on Thursday !!

After last night's debacle where he openly admits to conversing with fuel smugglers and tax evaders as recently as yesterday, well how could you let a lowlife like that into the Aras.

Hopefully, after Thursday's election, the 26 counties will have heard the last of McGuinness and he goes back to the North to represent you lot. We don't want him down here and more power to the people down here for not being so fickle.
Do you have proof of these murders McGuinness carried out as he has not been convicted.

McGuinness could not have carried out these murders, because while he was a member of the IRA (just for those few years when he was a young man standing up and fighting back) he never fired a shot. That's what he said and why would anybody disbelieve him? I'm just surprised that the hardcore IRA supporters and McGuinness claque here are so impressed by such an ineffective "active service" record.

highorlow

QuoteGiven the poor quality of all 7, he's still the best man for the job though IMO. The only one who we could send to meet foreign dignitaries and businesses and could sell Ireland as a place to do business. Which is the main positive thing a president can do in my view.

This looks like what most people are / have already decided upon and it's probably a gamble worth taking at this stage.

I've seen nothing in the campaign in relation to SG that stinks so much as to put me off voting for him. If he can use his business and real world experience to the betterment of the country then there is no doubt that he is the best of them.

The other 6 never had a real job in their lives and have relied on state supported jobs / projects in their careers to date. The sniggering and sniding by the other 6 in last nights debate only reinforced my view that they are all weak human beings. If they ever had to have a day in the real world where they had to earn a buck then there would be less goading from them.

Micheal D with his pesky little smirk said it all about him.

At least SG despite some flaws comes across as a person of the people.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

sheamy

Quote from: highorlow on October 25, 2011, 03:08:11 PM
At least SG despite some flaws comes across as a person of the people.

That sounds familar  :D

armaghniac

QuoteThe sniggering and sniding by the other 6 in last nights debate only reinforced my view that they are all weak human beings. If they ever had to have a day in the real world where they had to earn a buck then there would be less goading from them.

Whatever their ultimate suitability I don't think you can say that these people are weak human beings. And being paid by the State does not mean that you do not work. Being joint First Minister is not easy and I am that there are plenty of fireman and ambulance personnel who did more useful work last night than most people do in a year, to say nothing of the unfortunate Garda that was drowned. Gallagher sold some housing related stuff in the middle of the biggest housing boom known to man, hardly a hugely notable achievement.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Nally Stand

Quote from: Hardy link=topic=19419.msg1037581#msg1037581
McGuinness could not have carried out these murders, because while he was a member of the IRA (just for those few years when he was a young man standing up and fighting back) he never fired a shot. That's what he said....

"I didn't say I never fired a gun -- I was in the IRA." Martin McGuinness
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore