3 (1.5%)
Norris, David
7 (3.4%)
Scallon, Dana Rosemary
7 (3.4%)

Total Members Voted: 206

deiseach

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on September 28, 2011, 03:28:14 PM
Can we limit it to those who actually have a vote..........

*runs for cover*

I'd say M. Ó Luch and D. Mac Lacha will be casting their votes all the same

naka

why do the media love norris
for me he would be an appalling president, he has no depth
a guy ho loves himself, its cringeworthy to watch him

wee michael d higgins is the man for me , he reminds me of darby o gill or michaelin( quiet man)

sheamy

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on September 28, 2011, 03:16:13 PM
I listened to Doris and Mickey D "meeting" yesterday and it was real cringeworthy stuff.  I am sorry but if you were to have you're Head of State speaking like an Ugly Sister from Cinderella or an extra in Darby O'Gill then I reckon the country would be couped. 

For all his history, McGuinness is a statesman who has walked hand in hand (metaphorically of course) with some of the greatest leaders on the world stage.  You may not like his politics but I believe he would represent Ireland with a dignity and honesty that would surprise people. 

I also believe from a historical point of view it would be the right time in so many ways to have him as President.  The office is all about symbolism and image and when the Queen does come back(or the King which might well be the case) it would be a huge historical moment to be courted by a former IRA man.  I also believe just on a purely intellectual/intelligence point of view he is the most substantial of all the candidates.  Norris will be found out as the bluffer that he really is.

agree 100%. There was fury and anger amongst unionists when he became education minister. When they then saw the colour of his money, the vast majority of them were impressed. There is NO doubt whatsoever that he is the most respected figure of an international standing in this election. I'll correct myself. The ONLY respected figure of an international standing. The symbolism would be massive, both home and abroad, at a time when the country is known only for IMF/ECB/corrupt politicians/bankers.

Doris stands for alot of good things. He's a jovial joycean and fair f*cks to him for it. He's not a president of any sane country.

Likewise, Mickey D. Another good man but seriously to jesus, a president?! It's literally back to retirement home time for the Aras then. He ain't gonna follow Robinson or McAleese.

On sheer stature alone, and to make an international statement, McGuinness is the only choice.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: naka on September 28, 2011, 04:00:52 PM

wee michael d higgins is the man for me , he reminds me of darby o gill or michaelin( quiet man)

Has to be the Connachtman for me. Too long the people of Ireland's fairest and most oppressed and done by Province cower in the shade of the bullyboys of the East of the Shannon Provinces. With Enda, Eamonn and Micky D. Is féidir linn.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Billys Boots

I can't believe no-one has mentioned Mitchell's 'Olympic' campaign yet!!!  For that alone, never mind the rest, he needs to get his hole kicked severely. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

sheamy

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on September 28, 2011, 04:06:08 PM

Has to be the Connachtman for me. Too long the people of Ireland's fairest and most oppressed and done by Province cower in the shade of the bullyboys of the East of the Shannon Provinces. With Enda, Eamonn and Micky D. Is féidir linn.

join with the ulstermen fella and together we'll take on the pale!  ;)

deiseach

I listened to Doris and Mickey D "meeting" yesterday and it was real cringeworthy stuff.  I am sorry but if you were to have you're Head of State speaking like an Ugly Sister from Cinderella or an extra in Darby O'Gill then I reckon the country would be couped. 

For all his history, McGuinness is a statesman who has walked hand in hand (metaphorically of course) with some of the greatest leaders on the world stage.  You may not like his politics but I believe he would represent Ireland with a dignity and honesty that would surprise people. 

I also believe from a historical point of view it would be the right time in so many ways to have him as President.  The office is all about symbolism and image and when the Queen does come back(or the King which might well be the case) it would be a huge historical moment to be courted by a former IRA man.  I also believe just on a purely intellectual/intelligence point of view he is the most substantial of all the candidates.  Norris will be found out as the bluffer that he really is.

Good post. However, it would surprise me if he were able to stick to the job description. The nature of the Presidency requires someone who understands the requirements of politics - kissing babies, glad-handing, giving worthy speeches - but who perversely can be apolitical. The Constitution doesn't so much place restrictions on the role as tie it up in a straitjacket. Almost all the tasks assigned to the President contain the caveat "on the advice of the Taoiseach". I don't see McGuinness being able to meekly swallow those restrictions. Now, you could argue that it would be a good thing for him to stir up a hornet's nest in the rotten polity that is 21st centuiry Ireland, but there's already a job in which he could do that - it's called the office of the Taoiseach. If he wants to affect real change, that's the option he should be chasing

Fear ón Srath Bán

Agree (with the bit in bold), but the very last thing that Ireland needs now is a caricature of an Irishman as its first citizen; and if some Irish can see him as a caricature what the feck will he appear as on the international stage, a leprechaun?
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: sheamy on September 28, 2011, 04:09:28 PM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on September 28, 2011, 04:06:08 PM

join with the ulstermen fella and together we'll take on the pale!  ;)

At least one of ye lads doesn't have a stick up their arse  :D
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

deiseach

Quote from: Billys Boots on September 28, 2011, 04:08:15 PM
I can't believe no-one has mentioned Mitchell's 'Olympic' campaign yet!!!  For that alone, never mind the rest, he needs to get his hole kicked severely.

His spat with the German Ambassador springs to mind too.

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: muppet on September 28, 2011, 03:29:52 PM

Imho this should be the McGuinness mantra

The past: Dealt with in the GFA and the Peace Process and voted for by the vast majority of people on this island.

The present: A structure to govern giving some level of governing authority to each community which he can take credit for.

The future: A permanent democratic solution and structure that can be accepted by all.

He shouldn't get sucked into political squabbling by the media and FG in particular. A statesman should present himself as above such activity.

Dana and Norris are joke candidates. Gallagher doesn't want to spend money on posters. Davis is a serial quango appointee by Bertie Ahern and Mary Harney, enough said.

Mitchell will have FG behind him but even some of them don't like him and I don't think Kenny wanted him running. That leaves Mickey D and Marty. I think Mickey D will win on transfers. Won't be a bad President either.

Coming second in a Presidential election out of 7 would represent a huge achievement for the Shinners and keep their momentum moving in the right direction. It is almost surreal that we are not talking about FF in this campaign.

Good post, agree though not sure Gallagher can be dismissed as easily. Have been away for a few years and dont really know who he is, but home on holidays at the moment and a few people i have spoken to seem to think he is worth a look in a 'best of a bad lot' situation
Hasta la victoria siempre

brokencrossbar1

The concern I would have about Mickey D is that at 70 years of age does he have the vibrancy that the role demands.  He is not a young man and you can't give him the type of make over that they gave to Mary Mc.  He is a fine man but an old man and at a time that the country needs to build itself both internally and externally maybe a younger voice is what is needed.

Quote from: deiseach on September 28, 2011, 04:09:38 PM

Good post. However, it would surprise me if he were able to stick to the job description. The nature of the Presidency requires someone who understands the requirements of politics - kissing babies, glad-handing, giving worthy speeches - but who perversely can be apolitical. The Constitution doesn't so much place restrictions on the role as tie it up in a straitjacket. Almost all the tasks assigned to the President contain the caveat "on the advice of the Taoiseach". I don't see McGuinness being able to meekly swallow those restrictions. Now, you could argue that it would be a good thing for him to stir up a hornet's nest in the rotten polity that is 21st centuiry Ireland, but there's already a job in which he could do that - it's called the office of the Taoiseach. If he wants to affect real change, that's the option he should be chasing

I actually think that now is the time to move away from the baby kissing role that the President has been to an extent.  Under Mary Robinson it evolved away from the retirement home for ex TDs, under Mary Mc it became an even more vibrant and far reaching office, now at a time of major economic and political change within the country and teh world as a whole, maybe the time for stirring hornets nest is exactly now.  He will never be Taoiseach but he can have a major political influence from the role of President if he works it right, and no better man to do it.

deiseach

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on September 28, 2011, 04:10:12 PM

Agree (with the bit in bold), but the very last thing that Ireland needs now is a caricature of an Irishman as its first citizen; and if some Irish can see him as a caricature what the feck will he appear as on the international stage, a leprechaun?

You're worried about how he appears to others? Not like you to be so shallow. Anyone know what the President of Italy looks like? Anyone know who the President of Italy is?

BEFORE LOOKING IT UP ON GOOGLE!

deiseach

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on September 28, 2011, 04:14:13 PM
I actually think that now is the time to move away from the baby kissing role that the President has been to an extent.  Under Mary Robinson it evolved away from the retirement home for ex TDs, under Mary Mc it became an even more vibrant and far reaching office, now at a time of major economic and political change within the country and teh world as a whole, maybe the time for stirring hornets nest is exactly now.  He will never be Taoiseach but he can have a major political influence from the role of President if he works it right, and no better man to do it.

You may want it to be different, and I'd say it will be different in the not-too-distant future. But as things stand, that's what it is. People mention Mary Robinson as a sign of what can you do with the office, but can anyone point to something truly substantial she did? The one time she had some scope to stir things up - refusing to appoint Harry Whelehan as President of the High Court, something she was within her rights to do - she bottled it.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: deiseach on September 28, 2011, 04:14:53 PM
You're worried about how he appears to others? Not like you to be so shallow

Ah deiseach, 'tis about a little more than appearances, it's about the ability to effect real improvements in our national lot, and that's going to take someone with more than a little international gravitas and presence. Such is our bind at the minute, we'll need all the overseas friends we can muster, and Mickey D doesn't have it for me (sournd man though he is).
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...