Mitchell, Gay
3 (1.5%)
Norris, David
7 (3.4%)
Scallon, Dana Rosemary
7 (3.4%)

Total Members Voted: 206

armaghniac

QuoteNo way! A Presidential candidate hasn't been open and honest on the details of his past? How are we expected to take him seriously?!

Ah you are a complete stoopist Maguire, surely you are not suggesting that Martin McGuinness ever advocated reduced sentences for people in jail?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Nally Stand

Cork County Council has just refused to back Norris by quite a margin, 20 votes to 9.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Tubberman

Quote from: Nally Stand on September 27, 2011, 11:43:08 AM
Cork County Council has just refused to back Norris by quite a margin, 20 votes to 9.

Saw that. Could be another twist in the tale yet!
What are FG playing at? Is this being orchestrated by HQ (Phil Hogan)?
At the ploughing champs, Enda Kenny said the co councillors would not block any independent candidates.
But has their been a change in strategy? If so, why? Would it not suit FG to have Norris on the ballot or does their research show Norris supporters would vote for Mitchell if he didn't make the ballot? I'd have thought they'd be more likely to go for Michael D...
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

deiseach

Quote from: Tubberman on September 27, 2011, 11:47:44 AM

At the ploughing champs, Enda Kenny said the co councillors would not block any independent candidates.
But has their been a change in strategy? If so, why? Would it not suit FG to have Norris on the ballot or does their research show Norris supporters would vote for Mitchell if he didn't make the ballot? I'd have thought they'd be more likely to go for Michael D...

Damien Tiernan says FG are definitely not imposing a whip in Waterford City. Is it so hard to believe that he got a hammering in Cork because he didn't impress the councillors?

AQMP

Tubberman, I read some speculation over the weekend that FG would prefer Norris didn't get back in the race as they intend to promote Mitchell as the "Stop McGuinness" candidate.  Personally I think if Norris does stand, he will take votes from everyone.

Nally Stand

The Indo in full "nordie" bashing mode today, and denounces anyone who would vote for McGuinness as akin to mafia bandits

ALISON O'CONNOR:
I don't much like Northern Ireland. The last time I visited the North was a trip to IKEA in Belfast in early 2009 and since the Swedish flatpack superstore opened in Ballymun I haven't been back over the Border. In truth that's the way I like it.
There is no need to look any further, I hold my hand up and admit that I'm one of those "partitionist in my thinking" types that Martin McGuinness so dislikes. The 1998 referendum on the Good Friday Agreement dealing with the removal of the Republic's territorial claim to the North was no wrench to me. I reckon it's a murky little middle-class secret kept by myself and many others -- we feel we shouldn't think this way but we do -- that the North is not something we like to dwell on, let alone visit, and for this we feel guilty.......

....My instinctive belief is that McGuinness is good enough to be deputy first minister in Stormont, a job he does incredibly well. But that doesn't mean I am ready for him to be our president. If there are shades of hypocrisy in that then so be it.

Another piece (with no name to it) goes on to accuse all McGuinness supporters of being akin to the mafia:

"THE 30pc or so of the population that, according to the 'Sunday Independent' /Quantum Poll, in essence think that it's not too soon for Martin McGuinness to be president.....these thirty Percenters live according to a different moral order, such as also flourishes in those other European islands of Sicily, Corsica and Sardinia, where the twin traditions of banditry and civic corruption remain similarly powerful."
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

AQMP

Quote from: Nally Stand on September 27, 2011, 11:55:04 AM
The Indo in full "nordie" bashing mode today, and denounces anyone who would vote for McGuinness as akin to mafia bandits

ALISON O'CONNOR:
I don't much like Northern Ireland. The last time I visited the North was a trip to IKEA in Belfast in early 2009 and since the Swedish flatpack superstore opened in Ballymun I haven't been back over the Border. In truth that's the way I like it.
There is no need to look any further, I hold my hand up and admit that I'm one of those "partitionist in my thinking" types that Martin McGuinness so dislikes. The 1998 referendum on the Good Friday Agreement dealing with the removal of the Republic's territorial claim to the North was no wrench to me. I reckon it's a murky little middle-class secret kept by myself and many others -- we feel we shouldn't think this way but we do -- that the North is not something we like to dwell on, let alone visit, and for this we feel guilty.

Another piece (with no name to it) goes on to accuse all McGuinness supporters of being akin to the mafia:

"THE 30pc or so of the population that, according to the 'Sunday Independent' /Quantum Poll, in essence think that it's not too soon for Martin McGuinness to be president.....these thirty Percenters live according to a different moral order, such as also flourishes in those other European islands of Sicily, Corsica and Sardinia, where the twin traditions of banditry and civic corruption remain similarly powerful."

Murky? Yes. Middle Class? Yes.  Secret? No.

deiseach

I'm beginning to wonder whether the Independent newspapers are agents provocateurs for SF. Their articles are written in the style of someone whose intent is to make people so mad that they vote for the Shinners out of sheer bloodymindedness

Boycey

Apologies if this has been covered before but do County Councils have to nominate someone or do they only nominate if requested to by someone?? Also where can I find out which councils have nominated who?

ExcellentDriver

btw,

As much as I dislike Marty McGuinness, I hope he does become President of the Republic as it would mean a ByElection in Mid Ulster (before the Constituency is split with East Tyrone becoming part of Mid Tyrone and South Derry becoming part of Glenshane).
Stand up for the Ulstermen!

Ulick

At a guess I'd say they reckon they don't need him anymore. McGuinness looks transfer toxic, so they they'll be safe enough with the transfers between MDH & The Penguin. 

AZOffaly

Quote from: deiseach on September 27, 2011, 12:00:55 PM
I'm beginning to wonder whether the Independent newspapers are agents provocateurs for SF. Their articles are written in the style of someone whose intent is to make people so mad that they vote for the Shinners out of sheer bloodymindedness

I was thinking the same thing yesterday. They are so blatant about it.

Tubberman

Norris has got the Waterford nomination.
For: 6
Against: 3
Abstained: 5

He has 3 nominations now, only needs one more. Should get in now you'd imagine.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

deiseach

Quote from: Tubberman on September 27, 2011, 01:13:38 PM
Norris has got the Waterford nomination.
For: 6
Against: 3
Abstained: 5

He has 3 nominations now, only needs one more. Should get in now you'd imagine.

Not even close in the end. There are four FG councillors in Waterford, so it's highly unlikely they banded together to vote him down. There is no FG whip

deiseach

Quote from: deiseach on September 27, 2011, 01:24:21 PM
Not even close in the end. There are four FG councillors in Waterford, so it's highly unlikely they banded together to vote him down. There is no FG whip

Well, mostly no whip!

Quotethe three cllrs who voted against Norris in Waterford were FG cllrs Tom Cunningham, Hilary Quinlan and John Cummins. Jim D'Arcy abstained