Norris, David
7 (3.4%)
Scallon, Dana Rosemary
7 (3.4%)

Total Members Voted: 206

Hardy

Quote from: deiseach on June 03, 2011, 02:01:23 PM
Quote from: Bogball XV on June 03, 2011, 12:31:03 PM
It's not really that sensational when you hear it - any 2 hr conversation which is condensed into several small extracts can be sensationalised.

If a heterosexual were to claim that there was "something to said" for a state of affairs where men would prepare young women for a life of sexual activity there'd be uproar .

Not only that, but the point that jumps out at me from Waters's contribution is the extraordinary latitude that was accorded to Norris in providing opportunities for him to retract a socially and politically explosive series of statements. Can anyone imagine a heterosexual or right wing politician receiving the same indulgence from the media? It reminds me of the extraordinary contrast between how the media treated Trevor Sargeant on the one hand and any number of FF politicians* on the other for public wrongdoing and illustrates again how much public discourse is influenced by the social and political preferences of the editors who decide what we read, listen to and view.

(Yes , Seanie - I was privileged to hear Micheal Dee deploy his full masculine, macho male aggressiveness and call Graham a w**ker live on the wireless.)

* Disclaimer - no level of opprobrium is opprobrious enough for the corruption of FF.

ziggysego

Quote from: AbbeySider on June 03, 2011, 12:20:41 PM
Did anyone see the program Living With Lucy when she visited David Norris?

He has paintings of naked boys all over his house, and they were referred to in the show.

I reading about him views about pedaphillia on Wikipedia (I know). Made for some uncomfortable reading.
Testing Accessibility

LaurelEye

Quote from: Hardy on June 04, 2011, 11:29:17 PM
Can anyone imagine a heterosexual or right wing politician receiving the same indulgence from the media?

Off hand, I thought that Brian Lenihan was let away with sheer bloody murder by the media over his handling of the economy.
Leader Cup winners: 1945, 1947, 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 2013, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2021, 2023.

Declan

I see Norris again hitting the front pages -At this stage it's doubtful whether he'll get a nomination

Bogball XV

Norris is now the 13/8 favourite with Paddypower - personally, I've gone off him entirely.   As someone said, he handled the aftermath to his initial comments very badly. 
It's Michael D for me, certainly not that Gay bugger anyway!!  I mean Mitchell of course, awful choice for FG, although the alternatives didn't seem much better.

Pangurban

ANYONE BUT NORRIS, the man is pretentious,arrogant, intellectually lightweight, and his clearly expressed views on paedophilia and other related issues run counter to the vast majority of the citizenry, he seeks to represent. Despite his age a recently retired commentator, well known and loved on this forum, would be an ideal candidate

Bogball XV

Quote from: Bogball XV on July 12, 2011, 05:09:50 PM
Norris is now the 13/8 favourite with Paddypower - personally, I've gone off him entirely.   As someone said, he handled the aftermath to his initial comments very badly. 
It's Michael D for me, certainly not that Gay bugger anyway!!  I mean Mitchell of course, awful choice for FG, although the alternatives didn't seem much better.
it gets worse, is Gay Byrne really an option??

Would anyone actually vote for him?

Tubberman

Quote from: Pangurban on July 13, 2011, 12:28:23 AM
ANYONE BUT NORRIS, the man is pretentious,arrogant, intellectually lightweight, and his clearly expressed views on paedophilia and other related issues run counter to the vast majority of the citizenry, he seeks to represent. Despite his age a recently retired commentator, well known and loved on this forum, would be an ideal candidate

??? ??? Is that tongue-in-cheek?
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Hardy

Quote from: Bogball XV on August 08, 2011, 11:20:29 AM

Sadly, he'd win it in a canter.

Hardy

Quote from: Tubberman on August 08, 2011, 11:47:04 AM

Ah please !!!

magpie seanie

Quote from: Hardy on August 08, 2011, 11:47:32 AM

No, no, no, no, no! It cannot be allowed to happen. What has become of us? A sanctimonious, preachy tosser of a talk show host is even considered an option for President? You know this campaign so far makes a great case for a monarchy if you have to have a ceremonial head of State. Why don't we just get rid of the Presidency if its come to this? Gay Byrne for fucks sake.

Tubberman

Quote from: Hardy on August 08, 2011, 11:47:55 AM
Quote from: Tubberman on August 08, 2011, 11:47:04 AM

Ah please !!!

:D Sorry, haven't seen any Uncle Gaybo discussions here before, so was just making sure.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: magpie seanie on August 08, 2011, 12:38:19 PM

No, no, no, no, no! It cannot be allowed to happen. What has become of us? A sanctimonious, preachy t**ser of a talk show host is even considered an option for President? You know this campaign so far makes a great case for a monarchy if you have to have a ceremonial head of State. Why don't we just get rid of the Presidency if its come to this? Gay Byrne for f**ks sake.
+1 cant believe the farce this has turned into, ffs gay byrne, give us a break.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Boycey

No, no, no, no, no! It cannot be allowed to happen. What has become of us? A sanctimonious, preachy t**ser of a talk show host is even considered an option for President? You know this campaign so far makes a great case for a monarchy if you have to have a ceremonial head of State. Why don't we just get rid of the Presidency if its come to this? Gay Byrne for f**ks sake.

I made a Ray D'arcyesque comment at the dinner table yesterday, if the people of Ireland are stupid enough to vote in Gaybo I'm emigrating. Its just plain wrong.

magpie seanie

Quote from: Boycey on August 08, 2011, 12:58:51 PM

I made a Ray D'arcyesque comment at the dinner table yesterday, if the people of Ireland are stupid enough to vote in Gaybo I'm emigrating. Its just plain wrong.

I did too. I'm not sure if I was messing!