3 (1.5%)
Norris, David
7 (3.4%)
Scallon, Dana Rosemary
7 (3.4%)

Total Members Voted: 206

glens abu

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on October 04, 2011, 12:55:40 PM
That partitionist monarchy loving plonker Mitchell has now gone and invoked Bobby Sands memory, by claiming that they shared birthdays (Mitchell b. 30th Dec, 1951,  Sands b. 9th March, 1954)!

There's no level to which the Blueshirts will not stoop.

Also said he was at the burning of the British embassy :D :D but didnt approve of it being burnt,surprise surprise.Total plonker

Ulick

Quote from: Bingo on October 04, 2011, 12:50:44 PM
What nonsense, there are Irish citizens all over the world - England, USA, Australia - including plenty who have recently had to leave home in search of work. These are massive issues, should the canditates be off to these places to hold ralles and familarise themselves with their blight.

They don't have to travel there as it wouldn't be practical, but yes, considering a sizeable amount of the Presidents time is spent outreaching to emigrants, they should be familiar "with their blight". Unless of course you think the President of the Republic should only be President of those who choose to vote. In that case a republic is probably not the best form of government for the southern state.

AQMP

Quote from: muppet on October 04, 2011, 12:15:34 PM
Quote from: ziggysego on October 04, 2011, 12:13:24 PM
I was at Omagh last night and it was great to be there, to hear great speeches from the likes of Charlotte Caldwell, the mother of Billy.

I applause Martin for coming to Omagh and indeed to other areas in the 6 counties. He is showing the south that we are Irish citizens and want our vote. Hopefully come 2018, we will have that vote.

That is not how it will be seen in the South at all.

My opinion of McGuinness is falling rapidly. I thought he was a smart guy.

Has this been widely covered outside the board?

AQMP

Eamo getting himself in a spot of hot water...again

NEWSTALK PRESENTER Eamon Dunphy has admitted that his declaration of support for presidential candidate Martin McGuinness is likely to be in breach of the broadcasting code, but he said it was better to declare that support than keep it hidden.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2011/1004/1224305205466.html

Ulick

Well I think the point is that McGuinness is trying to get over the mindset which views the north and "the South" is such different terms. McGuinness is an Irish republican, not a 26 county FF Republican or a 22 county FG Republican and I doubt he is going to change because of how some of the latter view his approach to all-island politics.

muppet

Quote from: NAG1 on October 04, 2011, 12:53:56 PM
Quote from: ziggysego on October 04, 2011, 12:13:24 PM
I was at Omagh last night and it was great to be there, to hear great speeches from the likes of Charlotte Caldwell, the mother of Billy.

I applause Martin for coming to Omagh and indeed to other areas in the 6 counties. He is showing the south that we are Irish citizens and want our vote. Hopefully come 2018, we will have that vote.

What has changed your mind on this muppet?

I had him as the most able and certainly the brightest of the 7. Mitchell and Higgins are both very experienced but Mitchell has blown his chance completely. McGuinness' 'West Brit' comment was not smart but he could have gotten over that if he stuck to a simple message.

I honestly don't believe he is trying to win. This is why he has gone down in my estimation. If he was trying to win he would be canvassing registered voters every hour of every day, not potential future voters or supporters that have no vote. Now matter how you view the world now he is fighting an election on defined terms, internationally accepted, with legal voters and he seems to be ignoring that. He is playing a game with the election and that is extremely disrespectful to the office. That will turn away votes that he could have won and could have got him into the serious running.

If he is against the position on ideological terms fine. But he shouldn't have run then.

In the long run I think Higgins will win, but this election will be pointed to as a landmark in Irish politics. I think SF was testing the water and filling the vacuum left by Martin. SF is trying offer a new home to FFers and will then  target Labour/DLA etc between now and the next general election. FG can weather Mitchell losing and won't be too upset if SF wipe out FF. The biggest two parties after the next GE (which is all that really matters to political parties) could be FG and SF. Ironically Labour could win this but lose in the long run.

MWWSI 2017

armaghniac

Having big meetings in Omagh is all very fine. But it will be perceived as McGuinness hanging out with his own crowd, rather than reaching out to people who he needs to persuade. Which pretty much confirms the view that his candidacy is about SF, not winning the election.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Bingo

Quote from: armaghniac on October 04, 2011, 01:59:45 PM
Having big meetings in Omagh is all very fine. But it will be perceived as McGuinness hanging out with his own crowd, rather than reaching out to people who he needs to persuade. Which pretty much confirms the view that his candidacy is about SF, not winning the election.

Excellently put.

muppet

Quote from: armaghniac on October 04, 2011, 01:59:45 PM

I wish I had said that!

Nicely put.
MWWSI 2017

Declan

QuoteI had him as the most able and certainly the brightest of the 7. Mitchell and Higgins are both very experienced but Mitchell has blown his chance completely. McGuinness' 'West Brit' comment was not smart but he could have gotten over that if he stuck to a simple message.

I honestly don't believe he is trying to win. This is why he has gone down in my estimation. If he was trying to win he would be canvassing registered voters every hour of every day, not potential future voters or supporters that have no vote. Now matter how you view the world now he is fighting an election on defined terms, internationally accepted, with legal voters and he seems to be ignoring that. He is playing a game with the election and that is extremely disrespectful to the office. That will turn away votes that he could have won and could have got him into the serious running.

If he is against the position on ideological terms fine. But he shouldn't have run then.

In the long run I think Higgins will win, but this election will be pointed to as a landmark in Irish politics. I think SF was testing the water and filling the vacuum left by Martin. SF is trying offer a new home to FFers and will then  target Labour/DLA etc between now and the next general election. FG can weather Mitchell losing and won't be too upset if SF wipe out FF. The biggest two parties after the next GE (which is all that really matters to political parties) could be FG and SF. Ironically Labour could win this but lose in the long run.

Excellent post muppet.  I don't agree he is the most able of the 7 but otherwise the SF tactics seem exactly as you've put them. Looking at Marty's election brochure here and mention of the "South" and the fact that it mentions 26 counties and Six counties etc st will alienate the middle of the road undecided voter - not the natural constituency I know. Also speaking with someone who was out canvassing last night and the only candidates that didn't get a negative reaction on the doorsteps were Michael D and Gallagher

Shamrock Shore

I heard Grey Mitchell saying he shared a birthday with Bobby Sands.

Now I trust FoSB to have dates correct.

In which case Greybo is a walking eejit and now I have confirned in my head that I have 5 candidates to choose from.............

muppet

Quote from: Declan on October 04, 2011, 02:09:36 PM
QuoteI had him as the most able and certainly the brightest of the 7. Mitchell and Higgins are both very experienced but Mitchell has blown his chance completely. McGuinness' 'West Brit' comment was not smart but he could have gotten over that if he stuck to a simple message.

Excellent post muppet.  I don't agree he is the most able of the 7 but otherwise the SF tactics seem exactly as you've put them. Looking at Marty's election brochure here and mention of the "South" and the fact that it mentions 26 counties and Six counties etc st will alienate the middle of the road undecided voter - not the natural constituency I know. Also speaking with someone who was out canvassing last night and the only candidates that didn't get a negative reaction on the doorsteps were Michael D and Gallagher

I have a funny feeling that Gallagher could be a dark horse and finish maybe 4th or even 3rd. I liked his comment on Punch and Judy Politics. (Much as I hate soundbites, they work).

He might get a lot of transfer as well.
MWWSI 2017

Hardy

Quote from: Declan on October 04, 2011, 02:09:36 PM

That's how I'd see it too.

AQMP

I'd agree with most of what muppet posted and the general sense of it is spot on but I don't think MMcG is the first or last person to stand in an election and not think they're going to win.  I think most of us are clear this is about consolidating SF in the South after a good General election and trying to win over some "green" FF voters and getting them to "cross the Rubicon" of voting for SF.  That's why they're using a high profile candidate with strong name recognition rather than say Michelle Gildernew, an able enough politican and minister with no military baggage, but "who?" to most voters in the South.  That's the "win" outcome for SF rather than Marty sitting on his Aras as President.  However I don't think that's disrespecting the office or the election.  Plus if McG hadn't have stood, do you think we'd be anywhere near page 101 on the thread!!

I know other disagreed but I thought Gallagher did well on the Late Late, will do well in the border counties (another reason why MMcG can't win IMHO) and could get 3rd/4th in the first preferences.

sheamy

Gallagher should be in politics not engaged in this stuff. That's the problem. There is a professional political class in the 26 counties handed down through bloodlines and they are anything but professional. There's a touch of the Galway FF tent about him but I still think he'd be a useful person to get things done. He's not a president though.