Norris, David
7 (3.4%)
Scallon, Dana Rosemary
7 (3.4%)

Total Members Voted: 206

sheamy

Quote from: muppet on October 04, 2011, 09:29:20 AM
Quote from: Nally Stand on October 04, 2011, 09:21:17 AM
The Strule Arts Centre, Omagh had an event with Martin McGuinness last night. Packed auditorium and over two hundred people had to be turned away at the door.

I wonder will Gay "the personality" Mitchell (of the self titled "United Ireland Party"), or any of the other candidates bother visiting the north or will they stick to the "22 counties" where people are allowed to vote.

What was the meeting about?

To determine which other 4 counties joined the north. Noone seems to know. Everyone expected Cavan, Monaghan and Donegal as they play in the nordie fudball tournament but they set up a task force headed by Peter Canavan to see who the other one was. Favourite was sligo but turns out it is Mayo (Welcome aboard MGHU!!!). The rumor was it was some county who had been managed by Mickey Moran. That didn't narrow the search down much so the task force was still needed.

'I dreamt that Charlie Haughey recaptured Crossmaglen, then Garret got re-elected and gave it back again'

Tubberman

The Strule Arts Centre, Omagh had an event with Martin McGuinness last night. Packed auditorium and over two hundred people had to be turned away at the door.

I wonder will Gay "the personality" Mitchell (of the self titled "United Ireland Party"), or any of the other candidates bother visiting the north or will they stick to the "22 counties" where people are allowed to vote.

Most candidates probably wouldn't see much value in canvassing an area where nobody can vote for them.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

AQMP

Quote from: haranguerer on October 04, 2011, 08:29:03 AM
Quote from: AQMP on October 03, 2011, 07:10:06 PM
Quote from: AQMP on October 03, 2011, 07:00:53 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on October 03, 2011, 06:34:14 PM
Quote from: AQMP on October 03, 2011, 06:23:58 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on October 03, 2011, 06:03:38 PM
Looks like a smart move by Mary Davis to disclose her finances - stops a 'drip, drip' of details in the press over the duration of the campaign.

http://www.thejournal.ie/mary-davis-releases-full-tax-filings-and-encourages-other-candidates-to-follow-suit-243849-Oct2011/

Her challenge for the other candidates to do likewise could also be interesting.

Is her position as head of the Special Olympics (salary €156k in 2010) a full time job?  If so where the feck does she get the time to sit on all these boards?
Where are you getting the €156k from?

EDIT: Just checked my link and the €156k is all earnings, including position within Special Olympics Ireland. The role of Chairperson (or Board member) generally isn't a full-time job.

So the €156k is her earnings from all her positions, then??

In the North anyway, is a P60 not issued by the employer (in this case Special Olympics) detailing the amount of tax paid by the employee?  Maybe in the South it's different and it's more like a tax return listing all income??  If you read the declaration above the words "Employer's Name" it would seem that this refers to her Special Olympics postion...note the words "blah blah blah in this employment"
Maguire?? Which is it?

The €156,000 is her basic salary from Special Olympics.  From the Irish Times today:

"She disclosed she was paid €156,000 last year as managing director of Special Olympics Europe Eurasia. She also revealed she has earned some €390,000 over 10 years as a member of the boards of three State bodies and three commercial firms. Two of the companies were Bank of Ireland subsidiaries, for which she earned €43,000 in fees last year. The third was The Irish Times Trust. The three State bodies were the Dublin Airport Authority, the National Sports Campus and the Broadcasting Commission."

Her "earnings" from other boards are on top of this.  Average nearly €40,000pa over the past ten years.  So my original question still stands.  If she is paid €156,000 pa in her main job, where does she get the time to sit on all these boards for €40k pa??  Looks like she is the only candidate who will be taking a pay cut if she wins ;)

Nally Stand

Quote from: Tubberman on October 04, 2011, 09:51:02 AM

Most candidates probably wouldn't see much value in canvassing an area where nobody can vote for them.

Most candidates probably wouldn't set foot across the border if elected. McGuinness has repeatedly stated he would be a United Ireland/All-Ireland President. He believes people in the six counties should be entitled to vote. He understands that many people in the north regard the winner of this election as their Head of State too, whether they can vote or not. So why wouldn't he appear in Omagh etc?

Video of his arrival last night: (not my video btw!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BCIiQlwt3Y
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Tubberman

Quote from: Nally Stand on October 04, 2011, 10:46:06 AM
Quote from: Tubberman on October 04, 2011, 09:51:02 AM

Most candidates probably wouldn't set foot across the border if elected. McGuinness has repeatedly stated he would be a United Ireland/All-Ireland President. He believes people in the six counties should be entitled to vote. He understands that many people in the north regard the winner of this election as their Head of State too, whether they can vote or not. So why wouldn't he appear in Omagh etc?

I'm not suggesting for a minute that MMcG shouldn't appear in Omagh - that's entirely up to himself. He's from the 6 counties after all.
I'm just saying most candidates are trying to canvas as much of the electorate as they can, shake as many hands as they can, kiss babies etc. When they're under time pressure like that, it's entirely understandable they wouldn't spend their time pressing the flesh with people who can't vote for them.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Trout

Nally if things don't work out for you as the Provo forum enforcer I am sure they could find a role for you in North Korea or Moscow.
Sinn Fein delivers -

British rule

Bingo

Quote from: Nally Stand on October 04, 2011, 10:46:06 AM

He can believe this all he wants but its wrong reagrdless of what way you look at it.

To me this election is more politican than it should be, the position is not a political role but some of the canditates are determined to make it so.

sans pessimism

Last time I checked Omagh wasn't in the republic-Hope he stays there
"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"

Ulick

Quote from: Tubberman on October 04, 2011, 10:50:17 AM
I'm not suggesting for a minute that MMcG shouldn't appear in Omagh - that's entirely up to himself. He's from the 6 counties after all.
I'm just saying most candidates are trying to canvas as much of the electorate as they can, shake as many hands as they can, kiss babies etc. When they're under time pressure like that, it's entirely understandable they wouldn't spend their time pressing the flesh with people who can't vote for them.

I would have to disagree with this. The onus should be on the electoral candidate to familiarise himself with the issues concerning all citizens and interested parties no matter if they are going to vote or not. For example, the homeless, alchos, junkies, prisoners, emigrants, immigrants, are all unlikely to have a vote but as their welfare directly impacts on the affairs of the state then the candidate should be up to speed on their plight. Irish citizens and even British citizens in the north are no different.

muppet

In other news Declan Kidney has revealed that the Irish Rugby squad will spend the week playing chess. 'Some of our supporters are keen chess players and we wouldn't want them to feel left out' said the Irish Manager.
MWWSI 2017

ziggysego

I was at Omagh last night and it was great to be there, to hear great speeches from the likes of Charlotte Caldwell, the mother of Billy.

I applause Martin for coming to Omagh and indeed to other areas in the 6 counties. He is showing the south that we are Irish citizens and want our vote. Hopefully come 2018, we will have that vote.
Testing Accessibility

muppet

Quote from: ziggysego on October 04, 2011, 12:13:24 PM
I was at Omagh last night and it was great to be there, to hear great speeches from the likes of Charlotte Caldwell, the mother of Billy.

I applause Martin for coming to Omagh and indeed to other areas in the 6 counties. He is showing the south that we are Irish citizens and want our vote. Hopefully come 2018, we will have that vote.

That is not how it will be seen in the South at all.

My opinion of McGuinness is falling rapidly. I thought he was a smart guy.
MWWSI 2017

Bingo

Quote from: Ulick on October 04, 2011, 11:25:18 AM
Quote from: Tubberman on October 04, 2011, 10:50:17 AM

I would have to disagree with this. The onus should be on the electoral candidate to familiarise himself with the issues concerning all citizens and interested parties no matter if they are going to vote or not. For example, the homeless, alchos, junkies, prisoners, emigrants, immigrants, are all unlikely to have a vote but as their welfare directly impacts on the affairs of the state then the candidate should be up to speed on their plight. Irish citizens and even British citizens in the north are no different.

What nonsense, there are Irish citizens all over the world - England, USA, Australia - including plenty who have recently had to leave home in search of work. These are massive issues, should the canditates be off to these places to hold ralles and familarise themselves with their blight.

NAG1

Quote from: muppet on October 04, 2011, 12:15:34 PM
Quote from: ziggysego on October 04, 2011, 12:13:24 PM

That is not how it will be seen in the South at all.

My opinion of McGuinness is falling rapidly. I thought he was a smart guy.

What has changed your mind on this muppet?

Fear ón Srath Bán

That partitionist monarchy loving plonker Mitchell has now gone and invoked Bobby Sands' memory, by claiming that they shared birthdays (Mitchell b. 30th Dec, 1951,  Sands b. 9th March, 1954)!

There's no level to which the Blueshirts will not stoop.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...