3 (1.5%)
Norris, David
7 (3.4%)
Scallon, Dana Rosemary
7 (3.4%)

Total Members Voted: 206

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Maguire01 link=topic=19419.msg1026053#msg1026053 quote
He's in a leadership position in that party. And that party is now actively supporting his campaign. It's not about me giving anybody a chance - he had the chance and didn't take it.

In relation to QEII's visit he has conceded that she was much more conciliatory than he (and virtually everyone else) had anticipated; it was an error of relative judgement, not leadership.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

trileacman

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on October 01, 2011, 02:40:17 PM
He's in a leadership position in that party. And that party is now actively supporting his campaign. It's not about me giving anybody a chance - he had the chance and didn't take it.

In relation to QEII's visit he has conceded that she was much more conciliatory than he (and virtually everyone else) had anticipated; it was an error of relative judgement, not leadership.

So it was basic prejudice. Sure she'll come over here call us all "Paddy" and go hunting a few priests.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: trileacman on October 01, 2011, 03:31:11 PM
So it was basic prejudice. Sure she'll come over here call us all "Paddy" and go hunting a few priests.

There's only a certain type of pollyanna that could possibly construe the experience of the last 80 800 hundred years as "pre" anything!  :P ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

sammymaguire

How much is the President's salary?
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

Tony Baloney

Quote from: sammymaguire on October 01, 2011, 07:14:54 PM
How much is the President's salary?
Tubridy mentioned €250k last night which seems excessive.

Gaffer

All this talk about Marty meeting the Queen.

What makes anyone think that the Queen will come back to Ireland anytime in the future. There s no way her people or the Brit government will allow her to be photographed shaking hands with him.
"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Higgins was the best by far, by far the most presidential and likeable.
Mitchell was a distant second, aquitted himself well, more personality than I thought before.
McGuinness a close third, if the elephant wasn't sitting in the corner of the room he might not be the worst, very gimmicky.
Gallagher, average, not the worst but not really presidential.
Davis, bland and I wonder where her money is coming from.
Norris, thinking he is less suitable for the role more and more I hear him. Likeable enough.
Dana was awfull. She would be a disgrace if she were to become Irish president. An absolute headcase in the Aras.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

BarryBreensBandage

Quote from: Maguire01 on October 01, 2011, 11:36:46 AM
Quote from: BarryBreensBandage on October 01, 2011, 11:26:23 AM
Tubridy was at it last night and for me it is so blatantly obvious when a presenter is trying to make a name for himself.
Trying to make a name for himself? He's the presenter of the biggest chat show in the country. He's a household name.

Ok, maybe the wrong choice of phrase by myself - the point I was trying to make was that I thought Tubridy was trying to show his credentials as a political commentator/interviewer a wee bit too much.

Of course he is a household name and I think in fact that he is a great chat show host. But when I hear someone interrupting constantly and hurrying the guest for an answer, I just think that they like the sound of their own voice, rather than taking in what that person is saying.

It is not what I expected of Tubridy, as he doesn't do it in normal interviews.
"Some people say I am indecisive..... maybe I am, maybe I'm not".

Maguire01

Quote from: BarryBreensBandage on October 01, 2011, 09:25:46 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on October 01, 2011, 11:36:46 AM
Quote from: BarryBreensBandage on October 01, 2011, 11:26:23 AM
Tubridy was at it last night and for me it is so blatantly obvious when a presenter is trying to make a name for himself.
Trying to make a name for himself? He's the presenter of the biggest chat show in the country. He's a household name.

Ok, maybe the wrong choice of phrase by myself - the point I was trying to make was that I thought Tubridy was trying to show his credentials as a political commentator/interviewer a wee bit too much.

Of course he is a household name and I think in fact that he is a great chat show host. But when I hear someone interrupting constantly and hurrying the guest for an answer, I just think that they like the sound of their own voice, rather than taking in what that person is saying.

It is not what I expected of Tubridy, as he doesn't do it in normal interviews.
I'd imagine that any 'hurrying the guests' was just passing on what was coming through his earpiece to be honest.

Maguire01

Ah yes, 'judgement'. that other essential presidential quality, right up there with leadership and integrity.

deiseach

Nice bait-and-switch there. Nobody expected her to be as conciliatory as she was, therefore they were all equally wrong! In fairness to McGuinness and the Shinners they were true to themselves with regard to the visit of QEII, but they were also out of step with the voting public in Ireland and that's just one of the things that means he hasn't a hope of winning the Presidency

Maguire01

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on October 01, 2011, 08:31:59 PM
Mitchell was a distant second, aquitted himself well, more personality than I thought before.
I can't imagine what you thought before if you spotted personality last night!

Maguire01

Quote from: deiseach on October 01, 2011, 10:25:31 PM

Nice bait-and-switch there. Nobody expected her to be as conciliatory as she was, therefore they were all equally wrong! In fairness to McGuinness and the Shinners they were true to themselves with regard to the visit of QEII, but they were also out of step with the voting public in Ireland and that's just one of the things that means he hasn't a hope of winning the Presidency
Although some people on here were only going to be 'happy' if there was a clear apology.

Minder

Big deal and symbolism about meeting an elderly woman that has no say in the operations of the bogey men of the British Army but SF couldnt get enough tae and sandwiches with Blair the war criminal.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"