Mitchell, Gay
3 (1.5%)
Norris, David
7 (3.4%)
Scallon, Dana Rosemary
7 (3.4%)

Total Members Voted: 206

Ulick

Of all the Dublin based commentators, Sam Smyth would have the least insight to the workings of SF.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: glens abu on August 15, 2011, 08:37:57 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on August 15, 2011, 08:22:06 PM
Sam Smyth was on Radio Ulster this morning saying that "the smart money in Dublin" is that Sinn Fein will put up Caoimhghín Ó Caoláin as their candidate.

Think if they are going to run anyone it will be him as he would be the natural choice

He would actually get one of my lower preferences.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

glens abu

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on August 15, 2011, 09:40:11 PM
Quote from: glens abu on August 15, 2011, 08:37:57 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on August 15, 2011, 08:22:06 PM
Sam Smyth was on Radio Ulster this morning saying that "the smart money in Dublin" is that Sinn Fein will put up Caoimhghín Ó Caoláin as their candidate.

Think if they are going to run anyone it will be him as he would be the natural choice

He would actually get one of my lower preferences.

Thank God

Maguire01

Quote from: Ulick on August 15, 2011, 09:22:38 PM
Of all the Dublin based commentators, Sam Smyth would have the least insight to the workings of SF.
Does that mean he's wrong?

5 Sams

Quote from: Tony Baloney on August 15, 2011, 07:17:13 PM
Quote from: ziggysego on August 15, 2011, 04:59:30 PM
Fianna Fail have approached Micheal O Muircheartaigh to run for President and he's considering it:

http://www.herald.ie/news/gaa-icon-micheal-considers-ff-offer-of-aras-bid-2848525.html
They must be desperate asking a man in his 80s to consider running. The same way talk of John Hume (in his 70s) was desperate.

From what I hear I don't think John Hume's health would allow him to do the job properly. Although a few years ago he would have been the perfect candidate.
The Aristocrat Years

5 Sams

MÓM on RTE news this morning not ruling anything out...I'd say he'll stand and give it a good rattle...
The Aristocrat Years

Ulick

Quote from: Maguire01 on August 15, 2011, 10:02:38 PM
Quote from: Ulick on August 15, 2011, 09:22:38 PM
Does that mean he's wrong?

No, broken clocks and all that, but there's as much chance of Theresa Ferris, P O'Neill or Martin Sheen standing for SF at this stage. They haven't chosen a candidate and won't be doing so for at least another month. 

Hardy

Fianna Fail have approached Micheal O Muircheartaigh to run for President and he's considering it:

http://www.herald.ie/news/gaa-icon-micheal-considers-ff-offer-of-aras-bid-2848525.html
They must be desperate asking a man in his 80s to consider running. The same way talk of John Hume (in his 70s) was desperate.

Ageism is one of the few forms of casual discrimination left that nobody challenges. Replace the term "man in his 80s" with "woman", "black" or "lesbian" etc. and see how long it take for someone to challenge it.

Tubberman

Quote from: Hardy on August 16, 2011, 12:43:23 PM

Ageism is one of the few forms of casual discrimination left that nobody challenges. Replace the term "man in his 80s" with "woman", "black" or "lesbian" etc. and see how long it take for someone to challenge it.

Ah come on. The reality is that a person in their 80s does not have the energy that they would have had in their 50s or 60s. And they're not going to get any healthier.
In all likelihood, they're not going to as mentally sharp as they would have been at a younger age, and that's not going to improve either.
And you have to consider life expectancy. I just googled it. I have no idea how accurate these figures are, but I wouldn't say they're too far out:

Life expectancy at birth: total population: 80.19 years
male: 77.96 years
female: 82.55 years (2011 est.)
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Hardy

What would people say if I said a single mother wouldn't have the energy to be president and run after a houseful of kids at the same time? Or that a pregnant woman would be absent from the job for the best part of six months, so she shouldn't be considered? Or that statistics show that black people are x% more likely to be involved in crime, so no black president here?

And how much energy do you need to pull a cloth off a plaque three times a week?

Hardy

By the way, those life expectancy figures are for the population as a whole at birth and take into account infant deaths, deaths from congenital diseases, motor bike accidents, etc., etc. The life expectancy of a healthy 80-year-old male (who doesn't own a motorbike  :)) is not 77.96 years.

muppet

Quote from: Hardy on August 16, 2011, 12:43:23 PM

Surely we should simply elect the oldest person in the country President each time and save ourselves all the unpleasantness.
MWWSI 2017

Hardy

Looking at the list of candidates, we're in for seven years (at least) of unpleasantness.

Shamrock Shore

Is Ronan 'God willing' Keating 35 yet?

I hope there is a 'None of the above' option.

MOM won't run.

whiskeysteve

looks like its only a matter of time before Weeshie Fogarty throws his hat in the ring
Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w