rules query

Started by rrhf, May 30, 2011, 08:55:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rrhf

Does the ball need to be in play ie kicked out to blow a half time or ftime whistle

Denn Forever

Don't think so.  Have you never been at a game when the final whistle is blown when a ball is kicked wide?
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Archie Mitchell

Don't think so as sometimes you see the ref call for the ball when keeper taking a kickout or team taking a free and blows for full time.

PAULD123

No it does not.

You may be getting confused with the experimental rules which were tested in the national league last season (2010). Then the ball indeed needed to go dead to end play (like in rugby). Once the allotted added time was up the play continued until the ball went dead, unless it was a foul and then the foul would always have been allowed to be taken. This rule was rejected for permanent inclusion in the rules  before the start of last year's championship.

Some other experimental rules were:

1. If a ball was clean caught in midfield (between the two 45m lines) the player would automatically get a free kick (mark)
2. A player must not be in the square when the ball was played forward, but could be in before the ball arrived
3. An underarm hand pass with the open hand must be done with a "definite" striking motion
4. Basketball bounces were allowed (i.e. if the ball was not caught the player could bounce it multiple times)
5. All kick outs to be taken from the 13m line
6. Penalties to be taken from the 11m spot not 13m line

Of all these rules the only one that were kept were the last two. Personally I liked the mark, as it took away a lot of ugly scrapping in midfield and the square ball rule was much easier to implement. The rule you have mentioned about the ball going dead would potentially have prevented some controversies last year. Kildare would never have had the opportunity to get within a kick of Down as the ball was dead on 38 minutes, Louth could have known they simply needed to batter the ball dead instead of having to try to retain possession.

Denn Forever

3. An underarm hand pass with the open hand must be done with a "definite" striking motion

Thought this one was kept?  Will have to be on look out  during this weekend's championship.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

PAULD123

Quote from: Denn Forever on May 31, 2011, 12:42:16 PM

Thought this one was kept?  Will have to be on look out  during this weekend's championship.

Ah look, I've no idea at this stage. They muck about with the handpass rule so often that I'm not sure what you can or can not do officially. I can quote the rule if you like but I'm not sure that that will fully explain the instructions given to refs. Are you even allowed an open handpass? i think you are but like I say I'm totally confused. seems the ref will make up his own rule for every game!!!