Mayo v Galway 26.6.11

Started by Blowitupref, May 30, 2011, 06:14:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WeePeteIsALegend

1-11 to 1-06 for Mayo with 5mins left
''Im very glad you won dat fight Matt, but Im a not imprezzed by your performance''

Shamrock Shore

1 pt for Galway in second half!  ???

seafoid

1-12 to 1-6. Hopefully Mayo will be able to build on this . Otherwise Ros, get the finger out .
Galway will be back at some stage with a decent team  ;)

Hopefully we get Down in the qualifiers.   

WeePeteIsALegend

Yea, perhaps it would be best for Galway to get put out then rebuild from there.
''Im very glad you won dat fight Matt, but Im a not imprezzed by your performance''

Lántosach

Ó Flatharta doesn't (well not today) seem to have much going on as regrds switches etc during the game  especially considering he left a good back like Hanley at MF who I don't think held the ball in his 2 hands. Should have been switched or taken off. Spillane's right Clancy was at best an inpact sub abnd has gone past that. Still think they might have a little run in the qualifiers if they get a decent draw and give youth its fling.

FL/MAYO

Poor game, as someone mentioned basic footballing errors like hopping the ball on a very greasy surface, passing the ball across the your own goal to your goalkeeper who them attempts to solo and losses it, terrable free taking inside the 45. Conor Mort will be back just for his free taking ability.
On the plus side Mayo dominated mid field winning most of the breaks, the backs were first to the ball in the second half and Freeman looks a good prospect. Andy Moran was my pick for man of the match.

seafoid

Quote from: WeePeteIsALegend on June 26, 2011, 03:51:25 PM
Yea, perhaps it would be best for Galway to get put out then rebuild from there.

I hear Down have a fabulous midfield.

Chimley

Apart from a lot of old failings, I am very happy with that result today. I think that was a very important result for Mayo after the disasters of last year against Longford and Sligo.
Roscommon won't be losing too much sleep looking at the display but I think that we will see a little more improvement the next day. It might help us be competitive in the Hyde.

WeePeteIsALegend

Quote from: seafoid on June 26, 2011, 04:01:54 PM
Quote from: WeePeteIsALegend on June 26, 2011, 03:51:25 PM

I hear Down have a fabulous midfield.

Our midfield is woeful. Just like last year - we didn't do too badly then. Galway's midfield are hardly great either tbh.

Cosmo Kramer

My God, Galway were a shambles. Its a while since I've seen anything as pathetic on a GAA field as a team sending on a lad with one fully working leg who clearly couldn't run in the warm up to try and save a game, Meehan should have been nowhere that pitch and was more likely to end his own career than drag Galway back into it. That was the worst display I have witnessed by a Galway team against Mayo in a quarter of a century of going to derby games and it will take more than an under 21 win over Cavan to turn things around.

As for us, while there is no such thing as a bad win against Galway, it was a poor enough display. The free taking was another unbelievable mess and the Ros fans I was talking to after the game reckon they'll just need to turn up at the Hyde to win. Typical annoying Rossie attitude but hard to argue with them based on today.

On the plus side I thought SOS put down a marker in midfield, Vaughan did well at CHB and McLoughlin got through a power of work all over the field, he is a real natural footballer. As I am currently in a good mood I will leave the numerous negatives for later because I don't want to depress myself...
A few Mayo GAA videos if anyone is interested - www.youtube.com/CosmoKramer100

seafoid

Mayo should leave behind the negativity and look at 2 good wins. London are much better than people thought they were.

myball22

Well I guess I'll take the postmortem from a Galway point of view. I'm not sure if there is no recession in Mayo or if people are gluttons for punishment but I would be asking for my money back if I paid to see that dross. I am not sure if they were playing the same game as Dublin, Kildare, Donegal and Tyrone. To be honest I am not sure if they haven't forgotten how to play the game, always fouling the player picking the ball up, kicking the ball to the opposition, basic basic things.
Tactics were crazy too, we wouldn't let the ball into the full forward line in the first half when we had the wind and the full back line in trouble. Then in the second half when the Mayo backs tidied up we kicked the ball in long when it wasn't working :(
We have forgotten how to tackle and defend, every time giving the foul away. If Mayo had a modern day Maurice Sheridan we would have been destoyed.
I am not sure if we have the where with all to make some use of the qualifiers and build for the future. I just hope the end is painless and we can be put of our misery gently!!

Farrandeelin

It ws a diabolical game of football. However, Mayo dominated the midfield exchanges but the decision making from the forwards was terrible, why the hell can't they ust kick the ball straight in to the man inside instead of making him run out to the corner, handpass over and back across goal and then after all the hard work it'd be a wide. It will be hard for anyone to pick a man of the match as they were all desperate. The conditions didn't help, but Jesus Christ management of both teams should have been well aware of the Irish weather at this stage. I'll give a better account later on. Our freetaking wasa shambolic. Ros will win Connacht easy imo.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

ross4life

Just back from windy & wet Cashelbear & i switched on the telly to see the Dubs baked in sunshine WTF? anyways awful first half Mayo were the better team but due to shocking free talking & a Galway goal out of the blue they found themselves behind by 4pts! second half Mayo moved up the gears & the 1-8 to 0-1 shows their superiority! If Mayo had a free taker like Johnny Doyle Mayo would have won that game by 10/12pts that performance must have the Galway fans shaking their heads & alot of rebuilding to do now.

I never bought the poor mouth from the Mayo fans & i always believed that London game would be a blessing in disguise! it's going to take a good team to beat them now & I'm not sure are we good enough but if we are competitive on that day who knows? i live in hope.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open