Mayo v Galway 26.6.11

Started by Blowitupref, May 30, 2011, 06:14:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ross4life

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on June 14, 2011, 02:22:57 PM
Quote from: ross4life on June 14, 2011, 02:16:28 PM
Quote from: SLIGONIAN on June 14, 2011, 01:52:11 PM
The Roscommon facade of we are poor relations in Connacht is total BS, rossfan we all know your full sure ye'll win, theres no need for this rubbish of playing down yere chances, once again yer fooling no one. Wheres Beard for a bit of honesty? A few of ye could follow his lead. Roscommon are the best team in connacht in most peoples eyes and i know ye rossies know this but for some reason ye havent the balls to admit it in public and are in engaging in embarrasing and condescending tripe such as the big2, total myth nowadays.

Sligonian i don't think any rossie will have your confidence from last year (not even Beard) its "one thing thinking your going to win but it's another knowing your going to win".

Seriously we were playing in Div 4 for a reason & i could go on about our results v Galway/Mayo the last 10 years but as rosfan said.....ah never mind.
Totally different roscommon team lad, watching the pressure the leitrim backs were putting on shine and kilbride and yet the just needed a inch of space and over the bar, its nearly impossible to stop them, there size and physicality means they dont even need good ball. Yere defence isnt yer strength but there still solid enough imo, ye'll probably win midifield in the final and thatll do the job for ye.

Ya i know i got carried away last yr like 55,000 others, wont be happening again but it doesnt diguise the fact yer are massively underplaying yer chances on purpose.
Not underplaying our chances I'm just a realist.

Team isn't that different for example the last time we played Galway Shine,Kilbride,Mannion,Cregg,Devaney etc all played & they beat us by 16pts. the one difference is how this team has matured & as fergal said the main aim for the Connacht final is to be competitive.

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

GalwayBayBoy

The Roscommon facade of we are poor relations in Connacht is total BS, rossfan we all know your full sure ye'll win, theres no need for this rubbish of playing down yere chances, once again yer fooling no one. Wheres Beard for a bit of honesty? A few of ye could follow his lead. Roscommon are the best team in connacht in most peoples eyes and i know ye rossies know this but for some reason ye havent the balls to admit it in public and are in engaging in embarrasing and condescending tripe such as the big2, total myth nowadays.

I don't believe they are downplaying their chances on purpose. The Rossies themselves know that there is a big difference in beating Leitrim and beating Galway or Mayo in a Connacht final especially after one of them will be c**k-a-hoop full of confidence after beating the other in the semis.

I'm sure they rightly feel that they have a good chance to win Connacht if they perform up to their capabilities in the final but they will probably have to in order to carry the day.

ross matt

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on June 14, 2011, 02:54:42 PM

I don't believe they are downplaying their chances on purpose. The Rossies themselves know that there is a big difference in beating Leitrim and beating Galway or Mayo in a Connacht final especially after one of them will be c**k-a-hoop full of confidence after beating the other in the semis.

I'm sure they rightly feel that they have a good chance to win Connacht if they perform up to their capabilities in the final but they will probably have to in order to carry the day.

Never a truer word spoken!

Blowitupref

Stand Tickets are €30.00 and seated tickets for the sideline and behind the goals are €25.00 how many are expected to be at this?

Odds Mayo 4/5 draw 7/1 Galway 11/8 i understand Mayo have beaten Galway in the last 5 games.

Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Blowitupref

watching the pressure the leitrim backs were putting on shine and kilbride and yet the just needed a inch of space and over the bar, its nearly impossible to stop them

I thought Shine was very wasteful on Sunday, maybe on a dry day he would have scored 1-7.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

ross matt

Quote from: Blowitupref on June 14, 2011, 04:09:27 PM
watching the pressure the leitrim backs were putting on shine and kilbride and yet the just needed a inch of space and over the bar, its nearly impossible to stop them

I thought Shine was very wasteful on Sunday, maybe on a dry day he would have scored 1-7.

His shot selection was poor in the 2nd half but his opening point settled them down and his goal killed Leitrim. Apart from that he showed for and won alot of hard ball out in front in the first half when it was still a contest. I thought he was even more effective than Kilbride in the general sense.

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: ross matt on June 14, 2011, 04:29:33 PM

His shot selection was poor in the 2nd half but his opening point settled them down and his goal killed Leitrim. Apart from that he showed for and won alot of hard ball out in front in the first half when it was still a contest. I thought he was even more effective than Kilbride in the general sense.
His shot selection may have been poor but everyone one of those shots were hit extremely clean, guarnteed pts if there was no wind imo, there even a 45 which he hit wide that went 15 yards past the goals. Unreal striker of the ball. And i thought he looked sharp and for a big man hes awful composed on the ball under pressure. Kilbride too.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

macdanger2

On the face of it, the Rossies should be favorites as they probably have the better players, definitely the more settled team and are reigning champions.

The only reason they're not is because they haven't beaten a good team performing to their potential yet. Sligo played poorly last year, Div 4 standard isn't great (London excepted of course ;P)), beaten by Longford in Div 4 final and now beating an underperforming Leitrim side.

If they're underdogs in the final, they'll be good value.

muppet

Ros would hammer the pick of Mayo and Galway.
MWWSI 2017

macdanger2

now that I think of it, even if they win the Connacht title they may not have to beat a good team!!

seafoid

The Mayo posters seem to be much more stable this week.

muppet

Quote from: seafoid on June 14, 2011, 07:25:02 PM

The planet Greece moving into the default constellation is helping me see what is really important this month: finding two defenders a midfielder and two forwards, then ten reliable teammates to go with them.
MWWSI 2017

ross4life

Quote from: muppet on June 14, 2011, 07:28:39 PM
Quote from: seafoid on June 14, 2011, 07:25:02 PM

The planet Greece moving into the default constellation is helping me see what is really important this month: finding two defenders a midfielder and two forwards, then ten reliable teammates to go with them.

Two defenders Higgins,Trevor Mortimer, midfieder McGarrity & two forwards Ronaldson,Cillian O'Connor or possibly the return of Moonwalker? so your sorted..worries over MWWSI 2011.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

ross matt

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on June 14, 2011, 04:51:15 PM
Quote from: ross matt on June 14, 2011, 04:29:33 PM

His shot selection may have been poor but everyone one of those shots were hit extremely clean, guarnteed pts if there was no wind imo, there even a 45 which he hit wide that went 15 yards past the goals. Unreal striker of the ball. And i thought he looked sharp and for a big man hes awful composed on the ball under pressure. Kilbride too.

Sligonian stop agreeing and +1ing me! Its startin to freak me out!
Reverse pychology?

macdanger2

Any rumours on how the team will line out??

At this stage, I'd probably go with something like this:

Hennelly

Geraghty    Feeney     Higgins
Feeney      Cafferkey  Vaughan/T Mort

A O'Se    Kilcullen

Dillon         Moran      McLoughlin/Campbell
Doherty    Freeman    Howley

It's probably too defensive and too light in terms of scorers (and also without a freetaker) but I would persist with the sweeper system having Howley and McLoughlin interchanging in that role - this would also allow AOS to get forward a little more as well. Both Howley & McL like getting forward a bit too. This would also provide some cover in front of Caff and keep us solid at the back.

The other likely option would be Ronaldo in place of Campbell/McL. Varley / O'Connor are probably not suited to the half forward line bit would be be first on in the FF

Is there any chance C Freeman will start?