Mayo v Galway 26.6.11

Started by Blowitupref, May 30, 2011, 06:14:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kevmy

The game was there to be won and we won it is about the best thing that can be said. I think some of the first half performance can be put down to lack of confidence, hopefully this team will grow from the last couple of games.

Positives:
Midfield and half back line in particular played very well, as did McLoughlin at 10.
Work rate was good even from fellas who didn't have the best of games.
Freeman had a good 2nd half.
Doherty didn't get much ball but looked dangerous when he got it - I feel he's the type of player who'll be quite through a lot of the game but then end up with 2-1 or something like that.
McGarrity coming back, a perfect 10/15 mins for him and he looked fit and fired up.

Negatives:
Freetaking.
Decision making in the first half especially.
Not converting our chances.
The Keith Higgins incident - didn't see it myself but he seems like a lucky lad.
Dillon and Moran worked hard and handled a lot of ball but wasted a lot also (Dillon was especially guilty of this)
I though O'Connor was anonymous in the first half

On the freetaking I think it is false to say Horan didn't address this between London and y'day. In London I think we had 8 different free takers taking kicks from all over the place. Yesterday there was a plan of Dillon taking frees out to 35 on the left hand side, O'Shea from the right hand side and Hennelly taking the further out ones and overall we stuck with this plan. Unfortunately neither Dillon or O'Shea had good days but are capable of better (certainly we've seen better from Dillon previously). As for the keeper taking the 45's and such I think he's the best lad for the job - he won't slip as much as he did yesterday ever again I'd say. It just goes to show how much C Mort is missed in those situations if for nothing else.

seafoid

I always had the impression Maurice Sheridan was on the team just for his freetaking ability. 

ross4life

Quote from: seafoid on June 27, 2011, 03:31:49 PM
I always had the impression Maurice Sheridan was on the team just for his freetaking ability.

Maurice Sheridan apparently works on the frees with the Minors & Ryan Quirke had no problem knocking over 50m frees yesterday.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

AbbeySider

Thats debatable, but a lot would agree with you.

In the modern game can you spare someone like that who would offer nothing from play and just be there as a free taker? Even Brian Sheehan from Kerry always had something to offer from play.

Farrandeelin

You weren't the only one. Anyway, look what a win albeit in terrible conditions has done! It has lifted some of the doom and gloom. Maybe I was being over-pessimistic, and maybe still I am because Roscommon will be hoping and praying for 2001 all over again. Meanwhile Mayo will be hoping for revenge the next day.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

AbbeySider

Quote from: ross4life on June 27, 2011, 03:42:30 PM

Maurice Sheridan apparently works on the frees with the Minors & Ryan Quirke had no problem knocking over 50m frees yesterday.

As I said
Quote from: AbbeySider on June 27, 2011, 02:27:58 PM
...but until someone like that young Quirke lad breaks through the ranks and proves he can do it at senior level I think we are better off leaving 45's to the keeper as I dont see an alternative at the minute.

I dont think you can expect things to improve on this front in the immediate future for Mayo, as its not as easy a skill to develop in your 20's.

Practice improves a skill and any of the current players can marginally improve on their kicking of 45's, but talent at any skill is something that is developed at a much younger age. So until someone comes through with that talent and ability developed then this problem wont disappear.

I say leave it to someone who can kick accurately and have the distance as the ball will either go over the bar or dead. If that means Hennelly, then so be it. It may be ugly but its honest. 

Just on Hennelly's performance, what did people think? Was the couple of spills and errors enough to see Clarke given a run?

muppet

Quote from: AbbeySider on June 27, 2011, 03:52:35 PM
Just on Hennelly's performance, what did people think? Was the couple of spills and errors enough to see Clarke given a run?

I have no problem with Clarke whatsoever but dropping a young goalkeeper who hasn't done much wrong would be damaging all round. You could damage the young lads confidence while the senior fella coming in might think he is on thin ice already as you dropped the other fella for very little.
MWWSI 2017

ross4life

Quote from: Farrandeelin on June 27, 2011, 03:44:49 PM
You weren't the only one. Anyway, look what a win albeit in terrible conditions has done! It has lifted some of the doom and gloom. Maybe I was being over-pessimistic, and maybe still I am because Roscommon will be hoping and praying for 2001 all over again. Meanwhile Mayo will be hoping for revenge the next day.
Stop the wummery farran it doesn't suit you.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Farrandeelin on June 27, 2011, 03:44:49 PM

Janey, will ya get away with ya outa that! ;D
If any Mayo or Rossie players are going to bother about a game that was played when most of them were probably  still in short trousers, they'd deserve a good kick up the arse with a brush handle—as they'd put it down my way.
I expect a great game and I don't think either side needs historical baggage of any sort to give it a kick-start.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

seafoid

Quote from: muppet on June 27, 2011, 07:14:29 PM

I have no problem with Clarke whatsoever but dropping a young goalkeeper who hasn't done much wrong would be damaging all round. You could damage the young lads confidence while the senior fella coming in might think he is on thin ice already as you dropped the other fella for very little.
Muppet,you should turn that into a haiku.

muppet

Quote from: seafoid on June 27, 2011, 10:04:48 PM

Goalie gone....
James what are you on?
God help us.
MWWSI 2017

seafoid

Quote from: muppet on June 27, 2011, 10:08:32 PM
Quote from: seafoid on June 27, 2011, 10:04:48 PM

Goalie gone....
James what are you on?
God help us.

Mayo confidence
Fragile like
Cherry blossom in Roscommon

galwayman

Could anyone tell me what Galway subs were listed in the match day 24? Thanks

ludermor

The long distance frees are one thing but we have noone to knock over the handy frees up to 35yds out, Young Mort will walk back onto that team for that ability alone.
FFS we had 2 frees from about 30yd yesterday drop into the goalie hands!!!

muppet

Quote from: ludermor on June 27, 2011, 10:53:32 PM
The long distance frees are one thing but we have noone to knock over the handy frees up to 35yds out, Young Mort will walk back onto that team for that ability alone.
FFS we had 2 frees from about 30yd yesterday drop into the goalie hands!!!

The Fan: FFS we had 2 frees from about 30yd yesterday drop into the goalie hands.
The Manager: We are improving, last week it was 25 yards.
The Sunday Game: Blind single cell organisms can kick it better.
The Politician: Mayo don't need a bail out.
MWWSI 2017