Mark Sidebottom

Started by thewobbler, May 28, 2011, 10:25:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

timmyot501

I didn't see mush of the match yesterday but I did catch the end. Sidebottom and his co-commentator missed the pen being awarded at the end.  They were giving out about the Cavan full-back who tried a cheeky back-heel but made a mess of it. Cavan had the ball placed, ready to strike the pen when they started asking each other what was going on. Quailty!

ck

Sidebottom was much better this week lads. (Maybe he reads these threads?) No oul silly waffle outbursts this time round. Although as someone mentioned they both missed the the fact that the ref had awarded a penalty too busy being amazed at the attempted back heel.
Kevin Madden was co-commentating. He's not Peter Canavan but ok all the same.

Sidebottom has the knack of making a good game sound boring. Improved yesterday due to lack of silly stories but still the worst commentator  on TV.

Minder

Quote from: ck on June 13, 2011, 08:43:28 PM
Sidebottom was much better this week lads. (Maybe he reads these threads?) No oul silly waffle outbursts this time round. Although as someone mentioned they both missed the the fact that the ref had awarded a penalty too busy being amazed at the attempted back heel.

Sidebottom has the knack of making a good game sound boring. Improved yesterday due to lack of silly stories but still the worst commentator  on TV.

He seems to be everywhere but the crib. He writes in the Irish News, was commentating yesterday and was interviewed on UTV news tonight discussing the qualifiers. Not sure how he has gained that sort of status.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Orangemac

Think he has picked up on the abuse. Has cut out a lot of the attempted humour in the past few weeks. In fairness yesterdays game was over at halftime and it was hard to stay interested.

red hander

Aye, bit like the Leitrim v Roscommon game, which lost a "bit of jizz" in the second half, according to Kevin McStay yesterday ... oooh er, missus

Incertus

Sidey if you are reading dont take this board as an insult. Your an awful commentator but people remain tuned in for the 'what is he going to say next?' factor. Continue with your comical ways.

Keyser soze

Quote from: Gaffer on June 13, 2011, 09:27:10 PM
Quote from: Minder on June 13, 2011, 09:14:37 PM

He seems to be everywhere but the crib. He writes in the Irish News, was commentating yesterday and was interviewed on UTV news tonight discussing the qualifiers. Not sure how he has gained that sort of status.

He lives in Belfast. Handy for UTV outside broadcasts
He does? Didn't know he'd moved. health to enjoy.

isourboydownyet

He lives in Belfast
. Handy for UTV outside broadcasts

no he doesnt

glens abu

Quote from: isourboydownyet on June 14, 2011, 12:10:51 PM

He lives in Belfast
. Handy for UTV outside broadcasts

no he doesnt

Have to be honest I always enjoy Madden's analysis of games,think Madden on Monday always a good read in Irish News and good to see Gaa getting some coverage on UTV with his Monday night slot and blog

lynchbhoy

thought 'sidey' did a good job on Sunday.
Think he has been reading here and in the past two weeks has cut out the guff from his commentary and it's all the better for it.
Good man Mark !

isourboydownyet

well i have to say i like mark,i have met him a few times through a mutual firend and have to say he's a good lad and is getting better,we have to remember he was a sports reporter first and has been moved in there to replace jimmy smith so it's only natural it will take him time.

imtommygunn

To be fair to Madden he is fairly clued in. He lives in south west antrim not belfast. He's a good coach too - I recall seeing a lisburn u12 team he coached a number of years back in his early coaching days and they were the best drilled team at that age i'd seen by a long way. (God knows what happened them mind...)

"Sidey" means well. If he cuts out the bad jokes, which I also noticed he did sunday, he'll be grand.

FERDIE

Quote from: imtommygunn on June 14, 2011, 11:00:12 PM
To be fair to Madden he is fairly clued in. He lives in south west antrim not belfast. He's a good coach too - I recall seeing a lisburn u12 team he coached a number of years back in his early coaching days and they were the best drilled team at that age i'd seen by a long way. (God knows what happened them mind...)

"Sidey" means well. If he cuts out the bad jokes, which I also noticed he did sunday, he'll be grand.

Hardly enough to justify him being a good coach. He was coach along with Cassidy with Derry and they were crap. He is coach of Loup this year and they have won ONE game against Newbridge who have won none. Did he achieve much as a player, you never hewar much about him as a player.

glens abu

Quote from: FERDIE on June 14, 2011, 11:17:03 PM

Hardly enough to justify him being a good coach. He was coach along with Cassidy with Derry and they were crap. He is coach of Loup this year and they have won ONE game against Newbridge who have won none. Did he achieve much as a player, you never hewar much about him as a player.

I watched him play for his county for about 10 years even coming back to play for them after major heart surgery and was a prolific scorer for them I think even 1 year was the leading scorer in the NFL .Also played Railway cup for Ulster and as for a coach surely you cant blame him on Derrys failure as better men than him have tried to get that shower of over inflated egos to play as a team.Think he was also coach when Glenullin won their 1st C'ship in many years.Not bad for someone in his early thirties.Did he drop you at sometime Fred :-[ or maybe you were a defender who got a bit of a roasting.Then again maybe you are just a gurning Derry yan who wants to blame an Antrim man on all your ills.

quit yo jibbajabba

Quote from: glens abu on June 15, 2011, 09:22:45 AM
Quote from: FERDIE on June 14, 2011, 11:17:03 PM

I watched him play for his county for about 10 years even coming back to play for them after major heart surgery and was a prolific scorer for them I think even 1 year was the leading scorer in the NFL .Also played Railway cup for Ulster and as for a coach surely you cant blame him on Derrys failure as better men than him have tried to get that shower of over inflated egos to play as a team.Think he was also coach when Glenullin won their 1st C'ship in many years.Not bad for someone in his early thirties.Did he drop you at sometime Fred :-[ or maybe you were a defender who got a bit of a roasting.Then again maybe you are just a gurning Derry yan who wants to blame an Antrim man on all your ills.

id agree with this (though wouldnt be just as sore on you ferdie ;D)
in fairness to him, derry have underperformed/been crap for years, depending on your outlook, theres more than madden has "failed" in this respect;
loup have been struggling in the senior ranks for a few years (id say the county title 2/3 yrs ago took even them by surprise); would be a hard ship to turn no offence to them;
and the glenullin thing is correct also
in short, do your research before sayin too much :)