Mark Sidebottom

Started by thewobbler, May 28, 2011, 10:25:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will Hunting

The problem with Sidebottom is that he never actually stops talking during a game. When commentating on an attack he thinks it is necessary to speak out every single pass/run/block/tackle/shot that is happening.

It sounds like one long sentence, and he doesn't take any breaths in between. I was always under the impression that TV commentators should say as little as possible as the pictures generally do the talking.

Applesisapples

The man is a legend already!

Clown

Seems a decent fella, but by god he is irritating and cringeworthy behind a microphone.

agree with the fella who said a few posts ago that he never takes a pause or breath during his sentences. an example of his commentary would be something like - big Packie McConnell now Big Packie lays it out to Ricey McMenamin, Ricey onto the Block Gormley and the Block Gormley onto Hub Hughes, Kevin Hub Hughes finds Brian Dooher, Brian Dooher now onto Mugsy Mulligan, and Muuuuggggsssy Muuuuligan thats a superb point for Tyrone

point im trying to make is he always has to say each players name twice, so he's talking constantly when theyre on the ball and overuses their nicknames ridiculously

thewobbler

The problem with Sidey is that until Frank Mitchell retires, he won't get the gig at Ultimate Ulster.

It's football, not light entertainment.

imtommygunn

Frank Mitchell was helping out the DJ upstairs in the duke of york on friday night...(piece of useless trivia there)

I feel sorry for Sidebottom's co-commentators - I think some of them are sometimes dumbfounded as to what to say post one of his outbursts.

He means well and is affable enough however he's just not very funny and he constantly tries!

Maguire01

Quote from: ziggysego on June 06, 2011, 12:27:30 PM
Quote from: screenexile on June 06, 2011, 01:53:55 AM
Quote from: ONeill on June 06, 2011, 12:07:50 AM
Quote from: Imposerous on June 05, 2011, 10:19:34 PM
Jarleth's post match "Dick was riding the donkey close to the tail" comment is worthy of a mention.

Yep, the highlight for me.

My personal highlight was when Gollogly and Jordan had a 'coming together' off the ball and Gollogly injured himself and was taken off by the time the ref had consulted with his linesmen and escaped a probable yellow card at worst . . . "Tactical Genius there Martin!" FFS!! Probably the most ridiculous statement I've ever heard at a GAA match!!

Yeah, I was scratching my head at that one too.
Yep - made no sense whatsoever. If the ref had wanted to give Gollogly a card, his being substituted in the meantime could not be used to escape punishment.

Main Street

Sidebottom's banalities were overshadowed by Mickey Harte in his post match comments,  but I suppose the Tyronies are susceptable to swallow any bit of tripe.
On the advantage of the extra man to his team, Mickey claimed,
"But it can be a distinct disadvantage as well if everybody believes things are somehow easier because you have an extra man. "
"In the modern game it is not like that anymore so we had to be very careful not to lean on the extra man."

Of course, Mickey could have lessened that heavy burden by withdrawing a player from his team.

Orangemac

Quote from: thewobbler on June 06, 2011, 12:43:58 PM
When I started this thread, I didn't think it would evolve into a blow by blow analysis of his commentary.

Sidey will be able to publish a 'fun' book at Christmas on the back of this.
It's going that way all right! Provisionally titled : Sidebottom "It Just Slipped Out".

Expect some of these this weekend

" It's a ding a ling from Lyng"

" Molloy is the boy"

"Nesty is getting testy"

"Crash bang wallop Murphy is taking the Mickey"

borderfox

Quote from: Orangemac on June 06, 2011, 11:08:59 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on June 06, 2011, 12:43:58 PM
When I started this thread, I didn't think it would evolve into a blow by blow analysis of his commentary.

Sidey will be able to publish a 'fun' book at Christmas on the back of this.
It's going that way all right! Provisionally titled : Sidebottom "It Just Slipped Out".

Expect some of these this weekend

" It's a ding a ling from Lyng"

" Molloy is the boy"

"Nesty is getting testy"

"Crash bang wallop Murphy is taking the Mickey"

Or how about

'Thats a fine point Peter, Brick Molloy Knows his trade inside out'

'Were well insulated from the wind and rain here in Kingspan Breffni park...'

'The Tir Connaill county are a tier one team now after their promotion'

'Lyng is the king, He makes the Cavan fans sing '
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

FairyWaterDuke

Monaghans penalty: "It looks like its gonna be a good agricultural wellie"

ONeill

We should do a book on potential Sidebottom one-liners before a game.

Cavan v Donegal.

"And Cavan are a-calving before our very eyes."
"McHugh by name, McHugh by nature, isn't that right Peter?" (silence)
"What a score from McEnroe. You cannot be serious"
"Mark McKeever. Well, nobody did for that goal."

Big money gamble:

"Val Andrews shares his name with Val Doonican. The latter sang a classic called Delaney's Donkey. Well, there's some shower of f**king donkeys in blue tonight. Sorry, we missed those last 2 points there. Who scored Peter?" (silence)

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

lynchbhoy

Thought Sidebottom was good on Sunday. did his job well. Cant understand the whinging about him . Certainly thought he cut back on the sideshow stories and concentrated on the game.

as for the 'tactical genius' of taking the man off before he was sent off. It was a masterstroke.
Quick thinking by Frank Mc. An old ploy that I havent seen for a long time.
The ref bottled it somewhat due to the confusion of the man being 'inj' and substituted. Thats the intention of taking a man off so quick when theres a good chance he'd be sent off.
For those of you disputing that this was 'tactical genius' or at least not clever - then you are too young to remember or just havent been party to the old hallions of managers that patrol the sidelines and know every trick in the book.
Frank mc 10 out of 10 for speed of thought and tactical genius.
Ref 1 out of 10 for doing your job !

Bensars

Quote from: lynchbhoy on June 07, 2011, 09:46:22 AM
Thought Sidebottom was good on Sunday. did his job well. Cant understand the whinging about him . Certainly thought he cut back on the sideshow stories and concentrated on the game.

as for the 'tactical genius' of taking the man off before he was sent off. It was a masterstroke.
The ref bottled it somewhat due to the confusion of the man being 'inj' and substituted. Thats the intention of taking a man off so quick when theres a good chance he'd be sent off.
For those of you disputing that this was 'tactical genius' or at least not clever - then you are too young to remember or just havent been party to the old hallions of managers that patrol the sidelines and know every trick in the book.

However as the ref didnt deal with it, it is possible the CCCCCCCCC could take action based on the striking incident clearly shown on TV. The masterstroke could could backfire as the ref may only have gave him a yellow.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Bensars on June 07, 2011, 12:01:24 PM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on June 07, 2011, 09:46:22 AM

However as the ref didnt deal with it, it is possible the CCCCCCCCC could take action based on the striking incident clearly shown on TV. The masterstroke could could backfire as the ref may only have gave him a yellow.
true
but if monaghan had won the game- and lets face it , they were not that far off it in the end, a suspension is well worthwhile taking retrospectively (esp as I suspect he would have seen the red card) in exchange for beating tyrone and a place in the next round of the ulster championship.
As it turned out, monaghan lost, but its a gamble most managers would take every time!

Incertus

How did sidey behave yesterday never saw the game.