Mark Sidebottom

Started by thewobbler, May 28, 2011, 10:25:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brokencrossbar1

He definitely made the Mississippi Cruise comment but I think it referred to a sequence of play where McGlynn was soloing out of defence and was completely irrelevant to the circumstances (if it ever could anyway!)

mccool85

It really is beyond me how Sidebottom still has this job and I can't understand how anyone finds him funny in the slightest. A few posters have already put up some of the ridiculous lines he came out with Sunday and those are only a small sample of the crap that came out of his mouth over the course of 70 odd minutes.

He completely ruined the game for me and managed to suck any drama out of the last ten minutes due to his constant need to be heard.

First of all, somebody needs to tell him that TV commentary is not the same as radio and that he doesn't need to talk relentlessly.

Secondly, he needs to be told that McConville, or whoever is alongside him, is there as the analyst and Sidebottom's only duty is talk about what is happening, not what should be happening or what might happen. Instead of giving McConville time to talk, Sidebottom instead would come up with what he thought was some excellent tactical insight and ask McConville to agree with him. The problem is Sidebottom doesn't have a clue about tactics or strategies and sounds like the average man in the pub who has been given a microphone. I actually felt sorry for McConville during that game and it was clear for all who were watching that he wasn't enjoying listening to Sidebottom throughout. He made clear his disdain for Sidebottom the day before when after the Down game he said to Sidebottom, who was presenting in the studio, 'the one positive from today was that Thomas Niblock was excellent on commentary'.

Thirdly, I counted four instances in the first ten minutes where Sidebottom called the wrong name for a player in possession or committing a foul. He also brought up a couple of pieces of trivia which were also inaccurate such as Neil McGee being Eamonn's older brother and talking about remembering a Christy Toye goal against Armagh at the opposite end of the ground at which it was scored.

Finally, somebody needs to tell Sidebottom to leave out the terrible sayings as we aren't watching the match to listen to him. He is there to supplement or facilitate the game not to ruin it which is exactly what he is doing.

I don't think he is capable of improving so if you're reading this Mark, or if somebody with some power at BBC NI is reading this, please put Sidebottom in a different role.

chocoholic

Your anger is palpable!! :-)

theticklemister

Quote from: mccool85 on August 11, 2012, 12:27:00 PM
It really is beyond me how Sidebottom still has this job and I can't understand how anyone finds him funny in the slightest. A few posters have already put up some of the ridiculous lines he came out with Sunday and those are only a small sample of the crap that came out of his mouth over the course of 70 odd minutes.

He completely ruined the game for me and managed to suck any drama out of the last ten minutes due to his constant need to be heard.

First of all, somebody needs to tell him that TV commentary is not the same as radio and that he doesn't need to talk relentlessly.

Secondly, he needs to be told that McConville, or whoever is alongside him, is there as the analyst and Sidebottom's only duty is talk about what is happening, not what should be happening or what might happen. Instead of giving McConville time to talk, Sidebottom instead would come up with what he thought was some excellent tactical insight and ask McConville to agree with him. The problem is Sidebottom doesn't have a clue about tactics or strategies and sounds like the average man in the pub who has been given a microphone. I actually felt sorry for McConville during that game and it was clear for all who were watching that he wasn't enjoying listening to Sidebottom throughout. He made clear his disdain for Sidebottom the day before when after the Down game he said to Sidebottom, who was presenting in the studio, 'the one positive from today was that Thomas Niblock was excellent on commentary'.

Thirdly, I counted four instances in the first ten minutes where Sidebottom called the wrong name for a player in possession or committing a foul. He also brought up a couple of pieces of trivia which were also inaccurate such as Neil McGee being Eamonn's older brother and talking about remembering a Christy Toye goal against Armagh at the opposite end of the ground at which it was scored.

Finally, somebody needs to tell Sidebottom to leave out the terrible sayings as we aren't watching the match to listen to him. He is there to supplement or facilitate the game not to ruin it which is exactly what he is doing.

I don't think he is capable of improving so if you're reading this Mark, or if somebody with some power at BBC NI is reading this, please put Sidebottom in a different role.

Poor Mark!!

Applesisapples

I would beg to differ. i thought the commentary at the end of the Donegal/Kildare game conveyed the excitement and pressure of what is happening on the pitch. OK his analogies are crap some times but he does have a little passion. In fact he is certainly better than Ger Canning on RTE. The TV3 guy is good though. Canavan and McConville are good analysts.

ck

Quote from: Applesisapples on August 14, 2012, 10:52:23 AM
I would beg to differ. i thought the commentary at the end of the Donegal/Kildare game conveyed the excitement and pressure of what is happening on the pitch. OK his analogies are crap some times but he does have a little passion. In fact he is certainly better than Ger Canning on RTE. The TV3 guy is good though. Canavan and McConville are good analysts.

Totally disagree. It's lack of passion that is his main problem. Trying too hard to be funny and tries to show how he knows the players nick names etc
To me he sounded like a slow paced soccer/rugby or golf commentator shoe horned into the more demanding role of GAA commentry, so I was surprised to hear he was a former club hurler from Antrim. He's the only commentator that I feel the need to turn down the TV

CitySlicker11

Daragh Maloney on RTE is the best around at the minute.

Applesisapples

Quote from: CitySlicker11 on August 14, 2012, 02:20:15 PM
Daragh Maloney on RTE is the best around at the minute.
Totally agree

southdown

Maloney is the best, bt I'd still have Sidey over Morrissey or Canning, they would make any game seem dull.

southdown

Came accross this today - McDonnell's winner in 2002, a huge moment in GAA, Canning couldn't sound any less excited!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=UVxhJpqzNXw

seanaglis

Quote from: southdown on August 17, 2012, 04:59:29 PM
Came accross this today - McDonnell's winner in 2002, a huge moment in GAA, Canning couldn't sound any less excited!

In fairness to Canning, if i remember correctly, this point was scored in the 63rd minute, so there was over 7 minutes left to play - he prob didnt think it would be the last score.

Armagh ground it out to win, although kerry had a number of chances to equalise - the nearest was aidan mcgaralts shot that just curled outside the post.

Aristo 60

Mark's sums not good. Said fella had 23 points this summer then after a free moved him up to 25  ::)

Collins

Sidebum is a good journalist. He is a good presenter of sport on TV. Ive heard that he is an extremely nice fella.

And you know what, he probably could be a good commentator if he cut out all the oul unnecessary shite. He seems to think people are watching to be entertained by his incredibly bad puns, mixed metaphors, stupid use of nicknames and tactical expertise.

Just describe what is happening. That is all. And stay silent every now and again.

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Quote from: Collins on September 23, 2012, 04:57:23 PM
Sidebum is a good journalist. He is a good presenter of sport on TV. Ive heard that he is an extremely nice fella.

And you know what, he probably could be a good commentator if he cut out all the oul unnecessary shite. He seems to think people are watching to be entertained by his incredibly bad puns, mixed metaphors, stupid use of nicknames and tactical expertise.

Just describe what is happening. That is all. And stay silent every now and again.

He could have done with cutting out his awful rendition of Jimmy's winning matches too :o ;D

stibhan

Quote from: southdown on August 17, 2012, 04:59:29 PM

Arguably the funniest thing in that clip is the Down man going mental at the end...