Know Your Place!!

Started by Louth Exile, May 26, 2011, 01:53:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: Cde on May 27, 2011, 06:09:28 PM
should the same rules not apply to all counties in the same competition. Doesn't seem right that other counties are playing by different rules

Well its for each provincial council to organise their competition as they see fit. A Ulster backdoor would be administratively difficult with 9 counties and would also end the tradition of Minor matches on the same afternoon as their Senior counterparts.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Orangemac

If 1st round losers in Leinster get a 2nd chance does that mean a team from Leinster could lose 2 games and still win the AI?

On the subject of back doors the u21 championship is more in need of 2nd chances. If Ulster can arrange their own championship anyway they see fit then 2 league stages should determine semi finalists giving each team at least 3 games. A rule could be brought in that if you play u21 you cannot play senior the same year.

LeoMc

Quote from: Bogball XV on May 27, 2011, 05:03:36 PM
Quote from: LeoMc on May 27, 2011, 09:22:46 AM
Quote from: deiseach on May 26, 2011, 04:31:00 PM
When we won the Munster minor hurling title in 2009 we lost to Clare in the first round, beat Limerick in a playoff then beat Clare in the semi-final. Admittedly the roles were kinda reversed by them beating us in last year's Munster final having lost to us in the first round, but it was daft that after beating us they then had to play us in what was their next round.

Right so, I was aware of the back door system for beaten provincial finalists in both code. I did not know that Leinster MFC and Munster MHC also have back door returns for the 1st round losers. Are there any others?
Ulster MFC does not have and AFAIK the Ulster MHC does not have it either.
I think Ulster MFC is the only championship without a back door of some sort.  Not sure about the MHC, do they maybe play a round robin style tournament, or is that U21. 
In any case, it's high time Ulster sorted this out.
Apparently Connaght no longer have one. I have just been corrected on another thread. :(

Onlooker

The Munster Minor Football Championship works like this.  There are 3 matches in the 1st Round and the winners this year were Cork, Kerry and Tipperary.  In the Losers' section Clare beat Waterford in the semi final and Limerick in the final.  In the Munster semi finals, Tipperary beat Kerry and Cork beat Clare to set up a Cork v. Tipperary Munster Final.  IMO this system works very well and has done so for the last few years.

Bogball XV

Quote from: LeoMc on May 29, 2011, 09:14:04 PM
Quote from: Bogball XV on May 27, 2011, 05:03:36 PM
Quote from: LeoMc on May 27, 2011, 09:22:46 AM
Quote from: deiseach on May 26, 2011, 04:31:00 PM
When we won the Munster minor hurling title in 2009 we lost to Clare in the first round, beat Limerick in a playoff then beat Clare in the semi-final. Admittedly the roles were kinda reversed by them beating us in last year's Munster final having lost to us in the first round, but it was daft that after beating us they then had to play us in what was their next round.

Right so, I was aware of the back door system for beaten provincial finalists in both code. I did not know that Leinster MFC and Munster MHC also have back door returns for the 1st round losers. Are there any others?
Ulster MFC does not have and AFAIK the Ulster MHC does not have it either.
I think Ulster MFC is the only championship without a back door of some sort.  Not sure about the MHC, do they maybe play a round robin style tournament, or is that U21. 
In any case, it's high time Ulster sorted this out.
Apparently Connaght no longer have one. I have just been corrected on another thread. :(
saw that, apologies for the misinformation :(

Quote from: Orangemac on May 28, 2011, 11:22:41 AM
If 1st round losers in Leinster get a 2nd chance does that mean a team from Leinster could lose 2 games and still win the AI?

On the subject of back doors the u21 championship is more in need of 2nd chances. If Ulster can arrange their own championship anyway they see fit then 2 league stages should determine semi finalists giving each team at least 3 games. A rule could be brought in that if you play u21 you cannot play senior the same year.
why, I wouldn't be in favour of that at all, certainly not in favour of U21's not being allowed play senior in the same year - terrible suggestion imo.