The Committee Room

Started by goldenyears, May 25, 2011, 08:27:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardy

Quote from: Jinxy on May 26, 2011, 03:04:41 PM
RTE's GAA coverage reinforces every negative stereotype that puts off people from non-GAA backgrounds becoming more involved, going to games etc.

Spot on. And it's a self-fulfilling, positive feedback, vicious circle type situation. RTÉ's D4-mentality sports department thinks this is what GAA people want, since it's the opposite of what street-smart, designer-aware D4 types would watch. So that's what they put on. And so the yokelish stereotype of GAA, fronted by arch-yokels like Morrissey, Carthy and the like, is perpetuated.

One horrible fact is sufficient to understand why this state of affairs exists and why it will persist - Ryle Nugent is RTÉ's Head of Sport!

Sadly, they're aided and abetted by the GAA people who will continue to watch it even though it's shite. You'd think we were still in the single-channel land of the seventies. Vote with yizzer remote controls and texts to RTÉ Sport.

Jinxy

TV3's coverage, while by no means perfect (I'm looking at you David Brady), is streets ahead of RTE's in terms of the quality of presentation and analysis.
It's no coincidence that most of their analysts are recently retired players (with Eugene McGee as the token grumpy oul lad).
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Antrim Coaster

This might be a wee bit off topic but Im unable to access the Committee Room from the link provided above. I get the message displayed on screen stating that Im not in the proper territory to view the content. I know this has been queried before and there are ways around it. Contacted the service provider but I may as well have been talking to a brick for all the use they were. Any help would be appreciated especially as there may be a few games streamed on the RTE website later in the summer.

macdanger2

Didn't bother watching it - the tagline on the ad "where the chairman presides" from that tool Marty told me all I need to know. Sounds like I didn't miss much

ck

I didnt think it was as bad a show as some of you are saying but I agree with most of you. It was ordinary, boring, usual oul tripe RTE throw out as a GAA show.

I thought Colm Keys was excellent though. Insightful, well informed and an excellent speaker. Aaron McNulty was dull as dish water and those hurlers werent much better. What this says to me is, forget the boring ex players and get the journalists in who arent afriad to call it like it is.

ck

ps: Why the feck do RTE insist of Marty Morrisey? He's like a cross between Pat Shortt and ET and very annoying.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: ck on May 26, 2011, 08:22:28 PM
ps: Why the feck do RTE insist of Marty Morrisey? He's like a cross between Pat Shortt and ET and very annoying.

:D :D :D I'd agree with AFS calling him a wee alien!
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

mountainboii

Quote from: ck on May 26, 2011, 08:19:13 PMAaron McNulty was dull as dish water

If you're going to give him a slagging at least get his name right ffs.

Jinxy

I was wondering who Aaron McNulty was.  ???

ck

Quote from: AFS on May 26, 2011, 11:26:29 PM

Enda isnt it? Sorry. His dull analysis left me foretting his name

mountainboii

Quote from: ck on May 26, 2011, 11:30:57 PM
Quote from: AFS on May 26, 2011, 11:26:29 PM

Enda isnt it? Sorry. His dull analysis left me foretting his name

No probs dk.

Edit: Sorry ck. The dull comments left me forgetting your name.

Jinxy

The one thing I will say about RTE is that they often do excellent promos.
Just simple stuff really, well-edited footage and a well chosen piece of music.
But this is far more effective in capturing the essence of our games than some gobdaw telling us how great the assoseeayshun is.
It's also interesting to note how heavily pitch invasions feature in the promos.
I presume gaatvland is RTE's youtube channel.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYJjX_N8WT0
http://www.youtube.com/user/gaatvland#p/a/u/0/_hZnC5Sj3VU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQbJNiYz50M

magpie seanie

Just watched this weeks offering to make my own mind up on this. Oh Jesus but it is chronic shit. Got a good laugh at that muppet who used to play for Mayo suggesting those at the CL fnal were checking the score in the Down/Armagh game (ok he didn't probably mean to but someone should tell the gimp what vice-versa means - this chap has a masters doesn't he?).

The programme is a complete waste of time and completely deserves all the abuse heaped on it here. Woeful.

Blowitupref

I wonder what type of Masters the Mayo lad has? afterall he could spell Michael Jackson
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Orangemac

See there is a GAA show on TV3 Friday night at midnight (after VB).

Is this a new show? If so why have it on at this hour?