Obama Visit

Started by Capt Pat, May 23, 2011, 09:43:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capt Pat

The President is about to get off the plane. Will he visit Temple Bar? Will the high winds stop him getting to Moneygal? That would put them in their place. He is not from Moneygal. He has never been to Moneygal. He wouldn't go there if it was windy.

gerrykeegan

The two helicopters flew directly over my house and I mean directly, noisy as f**k sounded like they needed a service.
2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)

Banana Man

Quote from: gerrykeegan on May 23, 2011, 09:53:21 AM
The two helicopters flew directly over my house and I mean directly, noisy as f**k sounded like they needed a service.

Be thankful they weren't British Army ones with a snatch squad in them

lynchbhoy

another waste of taxpayers money - this time rather than some old wrinkly on her holidays to serve the ego of an outgoing president, we have a preseident loking for the Irish vote in his next yankee election.
will these visits bring big rewards to the exchequer via massively increased tourism money.
no fecking way.
not when the euro is so strong against the dollar
not when we see pics of the wet windy country on the telly of obamas visit
not when Ireland is still too much of rip off republic (read in yesterdays papers where Porto fans were fleeced on hotel prices for last weeks europa cup).
we might get a 1-2% rise , but it wont cover 35 f**king million euros worth !

muppet

Let's say the Gárda overtime bill was €10,000,000 (note: I honestly haven't a clue what it would cost)

€10,000,000
€  4,100,000 - 41% tax
€     700,000 -   7% USC
€     700,000 -   7% pension levy (might not apply to overtime?)
----------------
€  5,100,000

If this money is saved - DIRT tax applies on any interest made.
If this money is invested - CGT applies to any profit.
If this money is spent - VAT and the various duties and excises apply.
If this money is spent and ends up part of someone's salary - PAYE applies to them.

The vast majority of this money quickly comes back to the taxman. It is not the same as say buying a load of eVoting machines or spending money on a Government Jet or trips abroad in which case the money doesn't benefit the taxpayer in any way.
MWWSI 2017

lynchbhoy

Quote from: muppet on May 23, 2011, 11:52:20 AM
Let's say the Gárda overtime bill was €10,000,000 (note: I honestly haven't a clue what it would cost)
€10,000,000
€  4,100,000 - 41% tax
€     700,000 -   7% USC
€     700,000 -   7% pension levy (might not apply to overtime?)
----------------
€  5,100,000

If this money is saved - DIRT tax applies on any interest made.
If this money is invested - CGT applies to any profit.
If this money is spent - VAT and the various duties and excises apply.
If this money is spent and ends up part of someone's salary - PAYE applies to them.

The vast majority of this money quickly comes back to the taxman. It is not the same as say buying a load of eVoting machines or spending money on a Government Jet or trips abroad in which case the money doesn't benefit the taxpayer in any way.
that may come back to the tax man, but there are seemingly a lot of other expenses - loss of revenue for shutting certain shops etc and god knows what else.

Irrespective on the money that gets back to the exchequer - its still multi millions (well into 20 million I'd reckon) spent that we still have to SPENd.
Money we have not got.
Money they say we will get back - I dont believe we will - and even if we did (which we wont) it would be spread over several years, we need money (lump sum) now, not flittering it away !
Cash is king.

gerry

Just heard that the US Secret Service shot a guy in a DART station.... he said he was going to Kilbarrick...
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

Fuzzman

He just drove past us here in D4 going to the US embassy.
Those are some cars they use.

Square Ball

the hightlight of the visit will be tonight in Dublin when fecking Jedward will sing, and I use the term loosely, for him.

I the name of god, we are trying to foster relations with them, not start a war
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

mannix

they were showing it on the news this morning in new york complete with diddly idly music and lots of talk about pubs and drink.  oh begorrah and would ya look at that for a beautiful rainbow.

aontroim

Just landed in the middle of the local GAA pitch at Moneygall  :D

AZOffaly

Quote from: aontroim on May 23, 2011, 02:55:32 PM
Just landed in the middle of the local GAA pitch at Moneygall  :D

We were playing football up there just a couple of weeks ago. Hope he doesn't break his ankle in one of the rabbit holes there. Imagine, Obama walking on the same pitch as AZOffaly. He must be thrilled.

Kerry Mike

QuoteWe were playing football up there just a couple of weeks ago. Hope he doesn't break his ankle in one of the rabbit holes there. Imagine, Obama walking on the same pitch as AZOffaly. He must be thrilled.

I played a college game there many moons ago and let some blood behind me on the pitch, at least it wasn't my blood !!
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

amallon

Anyone see the video of his car getting stuck on a ramp leaving the American Embassy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKym-Zi3mOQ - Priceless!
Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

GalwayBayBoy