Armagh Hurlers

Started by Red Hurley, March 05, 2007, 10:00:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Red Hurley

Anyone at Celtic Park Yesterday? Back to earth with a bump? Any positives to come from the game or are we on our way back down again?

Smokin Joe

Nothing to comment on the game, but as I was driving through Armagh yesterday morning just after 10am I seen a few of the hurlers congregating under the bridge beside McAnerneys.

I couldn't imagine the footballers doing that.

Tony Baloney

How is it back to earth with a bump considering they were also beaten by Carlow? Armagh aren't going to be challenging Antrim for Ulster honours in the next five years but there is no reason why they can't make great strides in the long term.

Spiritof98

2 killer goals in the 1st 10 mins did the damage, apparently they held their in the 2nd half. Going to be hard this year but I can see them taking points in Keady!!

The ring road bridge or St. Malachy's Chapel has always been the pick up point for the City based hurlers on Away games.
I'll go back if Marsdens back

Tony Baloney

Spirit I was at the match against Carlow in Keady and sounds like the same symptoms. The damage against Carlow was done in the first half. Looks like they need to get quicker out of the blocks if they want to win a match!

Red Hurley

Of course it will be a big step up this year in Div 2. Maybe having been too long in Div 3 has done a lot of harm. The present management team succeeded where many had failed before and it will take team to consolidate themselves.Nicky Rackard Cup is a very real possibility.

laughinpaddy

Quote from: Red Hurley on March 05, 2007, 11:07:25 AM
Of course it will be a big step up this year in Div 2. Maybe having been too long in Div 3 has done a lot of harm. The present management team succeeded where many had failed before and it will take team to consolidate themselves.Nicky Rackard Cup is a very real possibility.
without a doubt the Nicky Rackard has to be a possibility.  On yestardays match Armagh had more than there fair share of the possession especially in second half, they had nine attacks almost in a row at one time but only produced 3 scores!!  Derry showed their experience, and used the conditions better than Armagh.
I ain't gettin on no plane!

scalder

Lads I never thought of Armagh having much by way of hurling and its obvious a credit  to a few people up there that you've come on – Carlow would not be a super power but they'd be a serious enough hurling team. I think its great to see the rise of Mayo, Armagh and the like recently. Hurling is a  cultural inheritance and should not be the preserve of a few counties, I'd like to see lads in every club in Ireland being exposed to the game and being able to play it with a regional team if their own club can't or won't sustain a senior set up. Heart warming to see the game growing new roots – Cu Chulainn would be very proud.

slow corner back

John McSparran is floating the possibiility of Ulster being redrawn since New York withdrew. You never know Armagh might end up with a very winnable match against London. Good to see them making steps in the right direction, hopefully the Ulster Hurling League wil bring your players on a bit further this season.

Red Hurley

Anyone make the journey to Wicklow? Another big loss, was there any positives in the game.Battled bravely last week against Laois but as the game went on the pace and class of their forwards came to the fore.Was it similiar yesterday?

Tony Baloney

Wasn't at it but I'm sure their heads are down as they took a bit of a tanking after giving a decent game to both Laois and Carlow. Hopefully they stick at it as it's a step up and people shouldn't expect miracles this year.