Commentators...

Started by NaomhBridAbĂș, May 22, 2011, 07:50:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NaomhBridAbĂș

I'm sat here watching the Championship on BBC2 - quality of football matched by the poor commentating. Mark Sidebottom and 'Big' (Fat) Joe Kernan...i know its a hard job to make a poor game look good, but for f**k sake mark...but who is the worst and best??? Apart form Micheal O M, that is....
in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. but he still only has one eye

put-it-up-again

Sweet lord I just turned it on myself. Absolutely dreadful stuff commentary pairing....

Farneylawd2011

Joe Kernan is a rusbbish at commentry but is a great at punditry.
I wouuld prefer Jimmy Maggee then Mark Sidebottom.

ck

TV GAA commentators are very poor on all three stations (BBC, RTE, TV3). Mark Sidebottom has to the worst of the lot. He'd make a blinder of a match sound boring. He is too busy trying to convence us that he knows all the players by mentioning their nick names and their girlfriends. Martin McHugh and Jarlath are the best pundits. Brolly and Spillane are the worst.

Farneylawd2011

Mark Sidebottom is rubbish.I agree with Pat Spillane sometimes.But that would be a nice panel of pundits there Pat Spillane,Jarlath Burns and Martin McHugh

supersub

Sidebottom is very poor, talking of trying to convince us he knows people's nicknames is one thing but when he can't get the actual names of players right it is embarrassing. He must have called Sean Leo McGoldrick 'Sean Og' about ten times during the match!! There was another classic cringe worthy line he came out with about Derry/Fermanagh but I can't mind what it was, just remember thinking is this man for real here!

saffron sam2

Among Sidebottom's repetoire yesterday.

The verb "to off put". E.g. "He did just enough to off put his opponent".

"Derry have nine players who are six foot plus or more".
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

Estimator

Sidebottom has a wealth of facts:

"Brennan has managed 7 county sides" - Nope = 7 Club sides

"He managed the Lavey club to the All-Ireland in '93" - Nope = 1991
Ulster League Champions 2009

saffron sam2

Quote from: Estimator on May 23, 2011, 10:12:42 PM
Sidebottom has a wealth of facts:

"Brennan has managed 7 county sides" - Nope = 7 Club sides

"He managed the Lavey club to the All-Ireland in '93" - Nope = 1991

Although he was called Brendan Convery when he managed Lavey in 1991.

Brennan that is, not Sidebottom.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

orchard 8195

only watched first half of match yesterday but by jaysus they were a brutal partnership. worst bit was when mark said to joe something along the lines of him being a good commentator and that he could put him outve a job when joe was describing a derry passage of play. was thinking f**k that wouldnt be hard. Have to say my favourite pundits would be Anthony Tohill, Jarleth Burns and maybe a controversial one here Joe Brolly. Think Brolly is extremely good entertainment and i agree with most of what he says. He does try and sound overly intellectual at times and talks over people but thats the barrister in him.

Orangemac

Brolly is good entertainment all right but he's a bit like Dunphy. He can quite easily forget what he elaborated about at the start of the show. I have never heard him say he was wrong.

Canavan was on BBC1 last week on the commentary and wasn't bad. Conor Deegan is on Newstalk as a pundit and is as good as any about at the minute.

Leo

I suspect that most of the posts on this topic come from Ulster with the totally unrealistic and fanciful love-in of Tohill, Burns, McHugh etc., most of whom are as entertaining as Michael McGimpsey and as incisive as Sammy Wilson.
The only Nordie I have hear who is worth listening to apart from Brolly is Conor Deegan (and he lives in Dublin).
Otherwise it is all DIRE stuff - a bit like the football so far.
BBC camerawork is far superior to RTE though.
Fierce tame altogether