Meath Vs Kildare - 5/6/2011, Páirc an Chrócaigh

Started by thejuice, May 22, 2011, 05:36:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fear ón Srath Bán

Is it fair to say that Geraghty's salvaging was a mistake for Meath, at this particular juncture?

(Tyrone man runs for cover lest he be accused of anti-Meath Schadenfreude)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Jinxy on June 05, 2011, 11:17:57 PM
He scored a f*ckin goal didn't he!

Was only asking, though might have helped had it been allowed!  ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

DB_An_Mhi

Quote from: seafoid on June 05, 2011, 10:04:50 PM
Quote from: DB_An_Mhi on June 05, 2011, 08:42:16 PM
how much of the stamina and mobility would the flourbags have in common with  puke football ® ?
It is a while since Galway beat Meath.

Anyway, we have some classy and mobile forwards who couldn't play puke football if they tried, it just didn't happen for them today. Graham Reilly didn't look right from the start for some reason. He was star of the show in our last competitive match v Tyrone. Stephen Bray isn't match sharp at present as he has been out of the country during the league campaign. Brian Farrell was sent off (very harshly) before he really got into the game. He is our form player of late. GG showed what he is still capable off in the blink of an eye. Jamie Queeney was given a defensive role that doesn't make the most of his attacking abilities. Paddy Gilsenan another who will show what Meath are capable of in the future. It is not all about route one to the O'Rourkes and Joe Sheridan. We just do not have a midfield pairing who can win and supply them with enough quality ball and quickly that is the problem.

These are not (or intended to be) excuses as we in Meath can take our beating or misfortune and move on. Even if the goal had stood and Farrell remained on the pitch, on the day I still think Kildare would still have pushed on and won with a few points to spare. They fully deserved their victory. Good luck to them.

mylestheslasher

No he didn't, there were no goals in the game today. Were you not watching?

DB_An_Mhi

Myles, you're an awful sh.. stirrer ;D

It's not the first time GG has had a perfectly legitimate goal disallowed. If we get back to Croke Park this season (big if) he will have to do it again!

nrico2006

Perfectly good goal that should have stood, getting beyond a joke now how every game is being marred by balls ups by the officials.  The square ball rule in its own is a joke, a free should only be given if a player is infringing the keeper.  How can a referee watch the ball and man at the same time to judge who is in the square first?  The sending off was another joke, but we are well used to that in every game these days.  As mentioned on another thread, referees should be held accountable in the same way as players.   
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Donnellys Hollow

Connolly - Should have done better for the Meath 'goal'. Made a great catch late on. Better than previous holders of the black jersey.
McLoughlin - Much maligned player down the years but he rarely has a bad game these days. Kept Bray fairly quiet.
Foley - Solid as ever. Dublin inside forwards will provide him with a whole new test.
McGrillen - First time in a few meetings that O'Rourke got the better of him. Will be keen to put the '09 LF behind him the next day.
Chalky - Saw plenty of ball and was well able for Sheridan in the first half. Should have more confidence in front of goals.
M O'Flaherty - One of the most underrated players in Leinster. Reads the game very well and always uses the ball intelligently.
Bolton - Great energy attacking from deep. Didn't forget his defensive duties and will be pleased that Graham Reilly was subbed.
Doyle - Class act.
Lynch - I've expressed my doubts about him but he had his best performance for Kildare in the second half yesterday.
Flanagan - No doubting his commitment but I don't think he suits the role he's being asked to play. Place under threat if Flynn is back.
E O'Flaherty - Didn't look fully fit but should keep his place. Showed good nerve to nail the two points in the second half.
Leper - Clearly evident yesterday how important he is to Kildare. Crucial to our chances that he's kept fit.
Smith - Showed well and looked sharp but wasn't given enough ball to do damage.
O'Connor - Had a feeling he'd suit Reilly and so it proved. Rob Kelly will push hard to get a place in the full-forward line v Dublin.
Kavanagh - Still not hitting the heights of previous years but signs are he's coming back. Point with the citóg was class.

Roli - Saw plenty of ball but didn't have one of his better days.
P O'Neill - Only on for a short while but it was an improvement on his display against Wicklow.
Kelly - Looked sharp and kicked a point. Should start the next day IMO.

Just a few thoughts:
- Kildare have plenty to work on but they're clearly suited to the open spaces of Croke Park. Second half display was excellent.
- Kavanagh and Smith looked like they are coming back to form but both didn't see enough ball.
- The six backs are tighter than they were last year but they might be vulnerable to pace, particularly the full-back line.
- Johnny Doyle is one of the best footballers in the country. He'll be some loss when he retires.
- Geraghty's goal looked legit. Farrell's sending off was farcical. However, Paddy O'Rourke's first point looked a good foot wide from my vantage point and Stephen Bray was clearly in the square when Meath won a 45 in the first half which O'Rourke kicked. Kildare probably deserve a few breaks after the semi-final last year.
- Dublin will pose a tougher test but Kildare should give them plenty to think about. Daryl Flynn would be a big addition to the midfield and it would allow JD to return to the half-forwards.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

horse

Kildare and Dublin were the two best teams on display yesterday, Laois showed some improvement on their displays over the last few years and are young enough to step up a class over the next 2/3 years as for Meath they have gone back and the display they gave yesterday was all passion and no class I would worry about the lack of natural football tallent in the team.
Kildare and Dublin will be a cracker both teams are super fit and have pace but I think Dublin have the better form in front of goal.

INDIANA

Quote from: horse on June 06, 2011, 11:39:41 AM
Kildare and Dublin were the two best teams on display yesterday, Laois showed some improvement on their displays over the last few years and are young enough to step up a class over the next 2/3 years as for Meath they have gone back and the display they gave yesterday was all passion and no class I would worry about the lack of natural football tallent in the team.
Kildare and Dublin will be a cracker both teams are super fit and have pace but I think Dublin have the better form in front of goal.

Laois were bloody awful yesterday. What game were you watching? Only for the keeper it would have been a record defeat. Easily the worst Laois team in recent years. Going nowhere.

Hound

As a neutral spectator at the Kildare v Meath, I was gutted that the ref robbed us of what would have been a fantastic last few minutes of championship football. I'm pretty sure Kildare are the better team but Geraghty's goal could have changed the whole momentum of the game. Whatever would have happened, it would've been exciting. Feck that gombeen ref anyway.

demusicman

Yes plenty of debate about the legit goal and the sending to the line of Brian Farrell.
Also many other basic mistakes on the field that should not happen at inter county level.
The reality is we are lucky not to be in division three of the national league.
Meath have beaten one team of note in the last year Dublin in the championship.
The rest do not county this year  last year or indeed for many years when it comes to the honours list.
However a much improved effort from a team that is lucky to be in division two .

seafoid

Quote from: DB_An_Mhi on June 05, 2011, 11:29:59 PM
Quote from: seafoid on June 05, 2011, 10:04:50 PM
Quote from: DB_An_Mhi on June 05, 2011, 08:42:16 PM
how much of the stamina and mobility would the flourbags have in common with  puke football ® ?
It is a while since Galway beat Meath.

Tell me about it. But there is no shame in being shite especially if Meath are too  ;)
Are Kildare good enough to win Leinster ? It would be good for fuball if they could win an all-Ireland.

Dinny Breen

QuoteMcLoughlin - Much maligned player down the years but he rarely has a bad game these days. Kept Bray fairly quiet.

Just don't give him time on the ball, when he doesn't have time to think his instinctive reactions are very good and he's a niggly fecker but 2 or 3 times he gave away the ball cheaply yesterday but I suppose we don't have a better option until Kelly returns.

QuoteLynch - I've expressed my doubts about him but he had his best performance for Kildare in the second half yesterday.

He was superb I thought yesterday and started a lot attacks, think himself and Flynn will work well together and I think we can dominate the Dublin midfield who weren't great against Laois.

QuoteGeraghty's goal looked legit. Farrell's sending off was farcical. However, Paddy O'Rourke's first point looked a good foot wide from my vantage point and Stephen Bray was clearly in the square when Meath won a 45 in the first half which O'Rourke kicked. Kildare probably deserve a few breaks after the semi-final last year.

If the disallowed goal had happened in the first 10 minutes there would have been very little written about it, it was marginal and the referee doesn't have slow motion replays which without a side on view were still inconclusive. The sending off on viewing was straight forward enough, while nothing more than a gay slap was still by the letter of the law a red card, while certainly not in the spirit of the law I can see why Farrell was sent off.

Agree with all the rest, hopefully Flynn and R Kelly will start the next day and Conway could feature, himself and O'Connor when the game is looser towards the end could make a real impact.
#newbridgeornowhere

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Dinny Breen on June 06, 2011, 01:00:20 PM
QuoteMcLoughlin - Much maligned player down the years but he rarely has a bad game these days. Kept Bray fairly quiet.

Just don't give him time on the ball, when he doesn't have time to think his instinctive reactions are very good and he's a niggly fecker but 2 or 3 times he gave away the ball cheaply yesterday but I suppose we don't have a better option until Kelly returns.

QuoteLynch - I've expressed my doubts about him but he had his best performance for Kildare in the second half yesterday.

He was superb I thought yesterday and started a lot attacks, think himself and Flynn will work well together and I think we can dominate the Dublin midfield who weren't great against Laois.

QuoteGeraghty's goal looked legit. Farrell's sending off was farcical. However, Paddy O'Rourke's first point looked a good foot wide from my vantage point and Stephen Bray was clearly in the square when Meath won a 45 in the first half which O'Rourke kicked. Kildare probably deserve a few breaks after the semi-final last year.

If the disallowed goal had happened in the first 10 minutes there would have been very little written about it, it was marginal and the referee doesn't have slow motion replays which without a side on view were still inconclusive. The sending off on viewing was straight forward enough, while nothing more than a gay slap was still by the letter of the law a red card, while certainly not in the spirit of the law I can see why Farrell was sent off.

Agree with all the rest, hopefully Flynn and R Kelly will start the next day and Conway could feature, himself and O'Connor when the game is looser towards the end could make a real impact.

I couldn't agree with you there dinny. On tge sending off tge kildare player swung his arm back first with equal force to what farrell gave him so why only one sending off. The ref doesn't have slow motion replay, that is correct, so why then go in an over rule the 2 umpires standing right next to it. Another woeful ref performance in my book.