Meath Vs Kildare - 5/6/2011, Páirc an Chrócaigh

Started by thejuice, May 22, 2011, 05:36:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mylestheslasher

Quote from: agorm on June 05, 2011, 07:56:32 PM
Quote from: rolloutking on June 05, 2011, 07:06:57 PM
Anyone claiming that it is 'karma' or 'just what they deserve' in relation to Meaths disallowed goal is a typical bar stool analyst, know it all and know nothing narrow minded and simplistic fool.

If it was a legal goal it should have stood regardless of what has happened in the past.

I agree - however people like Mylestheslasher and some of the Louth crew do need something to cheer about and I wouldnt begrudge them that.  We have had our days in the sun and we cannot be champions every year. The referee did have a nightmare and I agree with Indiana in that he should be spared from any other teams this year. Whoever wrote that the GAA is truly f*cked if that is a sending off got it spot on.

Regarding the game I felt that the first half was very even as we had expected. Both teams had plenty of chances and possession was generally even. Meath missed a few chances and couldd have gone in a bot more ahead - however Kildare did hit their usual quota of wides.

Kildare were very slow coming out on to the pitch for the 2nd half and the Meath players were left hanging around for a few minutes. Once the half started however Kildare were on a different level to Meath and won the game in the 1st 15 minutes of the half. I think they scored 6 points in a row at that time, dominated possession in the middle third of the field and moved the ball much more fluidly. Of course the referees decisions could have influenced the result but we will never know.It is annoying from a Meath point of view but we cannot complain because, had we made a comeback, it would have been against the run of play in game overall.

To me the ineptitude of the ref's performance is just another in a line that includes last years Leinster final, a game I would have liked to have seen replayed as stated at the time on several threads. However, it is a totally different game and to try to link them as a few have done is just a bit silly.

Well done kildare, lets hope they can start to build on performances & get some silverware.

I used neither of the terms above. However, there is an old saying "what goes around comes around" meath got bad decisions against them today but there aren't too many in Ireland that will feel too sorry for ye. Btw, its not just nasty old myles and the louth crew making comparisons to the 2010 leinster final. The 2 commentators did, spillane and brolly did and i bet the Sunday game tonight will too. I suggest you get used to it.

thejuice

Well, I said I'd wait till I saw a championship match before I made any conclusions about the team and the management.

As for what Banty has brought to Meath football or what changes have been made, answers on a post card because I can't see any change. Perhaps only worse. The fitness of the team seemed to be a few notches below Kildare. Thank god the Kildare forwards can hardly hit a barn door with the expection of Doyle who didn't have his shooting boots either. It was as clear as day that we were being beaten for the breaks in the middle and it seems like nothing was done to rectify this. However I don't think the problem lie totally with the management.

I came to some conclusions today about the team. Shane O'Rourke isn't worth his place anymore. He rarely wins any ball, fair enough he can put it over but given how rarely he gets it in his hands what good is it. Paddy O'Rourke can take a free but like Shane, he hadn't much to show for a days work. For big men they don't produce the same results that Kieran Donaghy does for Kerry I don't see the value of them on the team.

And much like them, there are too many men on the team that are big and cumbersome. Sheridan looks more heavily set than last year and was off his feet more often than not. The forwards have little cohesion just like last year. We have a few lads who can get scores but they seem to only work as individuals rather than a team. They could learn a lot from watching Graham Geraghty and Ollie Murphy in their heyday.

Having these big lads like Crawford and Meade in their to win kick-outs on their own is a tactic as ancient as Newgrange, we need more men like Kenny, (undoubtedly our best player today) battling for the breaks. Mark Ward fared fairly well but if these guys can't chase and tackle lads then we'll only get run ragged again as we did today.

Smaller lads with engines on them are the order of the day and as we saw with Kerry yesterday and Tyrone a few years ago, combining that with lads who can acurately foot pass has the makings of a successful team.

As for the sending off and disallowed goal, while they set us back I honestly didn't see us winning that game anyway after the abysmal start to the second half. Yeah we could go on about these decisions but we can do nothing about that, thats a matter for the GAA as a whole but there are big changes needed in Meath football, in the club and underage competitions and the county board needs some fresh faces and ideas are needed.

A fresh approach is also needed on the county team to the style of play and the type of players we are fielding. If Banty is serious about his term here he should work on that. The back door is an opportunity to do that. More of the same might win us a few games against weak opposition but we'll win nothing of note from what I can see.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

INDIANA

Quote from: thejuice on June 05, 2011, 08:17:07 PM
Well, I said I'd wait till I saw a championship match before I made any conclusions about the team and the management.

As for what Banty has brought to Meath football or what changes have been made, answers on a post card because I can't see any change. Perhaps only worse. The fitness of the team seemed to be a few notches below Kildare. Thank god the Kildare forwards can hardly hit a barn door with the expection of Doyle who didn't have his shooting boots either. It was as clear as day that we were being beaten for the breaks in the middle and it seems like nothing was done to rectify this. However I don't think the problem lie totally with the management.

I came to some conclusions today about the team. Shane O'Rourke isn't worth his place anymore. He rarely wins any ball, fair enough he can put it over but given how rarely he gets it in his hands what good is it. Paddy O'Rourke can take a free but like Shane, he hadn't much to show for a days work. For big men they don't produce the same results that Kieran Donaghy does for Kerry I don't see the value of them on the team.

And much like them, there are too many men on the team that are big and cumbersome. Sheridan looks more heavily set than last year and was off his feet more often than not. The forwards have little cohesion just like last year. We have a few lads who can get scores but they seem to only work as individuals rather than a team. They could learn a lot from watching Graham Geraghty and Ollie Murphy in their heyday.

Having these big lads like Crawford and Meade in their to win kick-outs on their own is a tactic as ancient as Newgrange, we need more men like Kenny, (undoubtedly our best player today) battling for the breaks. Mark Ward fared fairly well but if these guys can't chase and tackle lads then we'll only get run ragged again as we did today.

Smaller lads with engines on them are the order of the day and as we saw with Kerry yesterday and Tyrone a few years ago, combining that with lads who can acurately foot pass has the makings of a successful team.

As for the sending off and disallowed goal, while they set us back I honestly didn't see us winning that game anyway after the abysmal start to the second half. Yeah we could go on about these decisions but we can do nothing about that, thats a matter for the GAA as a whole but there are big changes needed in Meath football, in the club and underage competitions and the county board needs some fresh faces and ideas are needed.

A fresh approach is also needed on the county team to the style of play and the type of players we are fielding. If Banty is serious about his term here he should work on that. The back door is an opportunity to do that. More of the same might win us a few games against weak opposition but we'll win nothing of note from what I can see.

In general juice your team lacks pace. Unfortunately pace is king at this level now. Whether you have others with that pace is another thing. Defensively Kildare are very good. O Flaherty does a brilliant job sweeping because he actually understands what he's doing. In contrast to most other sweepers how dont.

Meath didnt look conditioned at all today compared to Kildare. Meath look like they have regressed today.

DB_An_Mhi

Well done Kildare. Once again brain beats brawn and that's the way it should be on a football field. Fitness and stamina helps too. ;) Hopefully, ye will do yourselves justice and capture the Leinster title in 2011. Good luck. Fruit of your merit in my book to make up for 2010 backdoor season and I'm sure what is to follow in the coming weeks. Just sort out the wide figures and ye are on your way. Johnny Doyle what a player and ten years Marty Clarke's senior.

Too many Meath players went missing second half. We need to rethink our whole strategy from top to bottom and of course develop an adaptable playing style. Big men cannot match ye're fitness, stamina or mobility, so we will have to change the blend. A team encouraged and capable of playing football for seventy minutes.

rolloutking

QuoteI used neither of the terms above. However, there is an old saying "what goes around comes around" meath got bad decisions against them today but there aren't too many in Ireland that will feel too sorry for ye. Btw, its not just nasty old myles and the louth crew making comparisons to the 2010 leinster final. The 2 commentators did, spillane and brolly did and i bet the Sunday game tonight will too. I suggest you get used to it.

Are you suggesting that Meath deserved what they got today?

mylestheslasher

Quote from: rolloutking on June 05, 2011, 08:42:56 PM
QuoteI used neither of the terms above. However, there is an old saying "what goes around comes around" meath got bad decisions against them today but there aren't too many in Ireland that will feel too sorry for ye. Btw, its not just nasty old myles and the louth crew making comparisons to the 2010 leinster final. The 2 commentators did, spillane and brolly did and i bet the Sunday game tonight will too. I suggest you get used to it.

Are you suggesting that Meath deserved what they got today?
They deserved to be beaten.

NP 76

Quote from: DB_An_Mhi on June 05, 2011, 08:42:16 PM
. Johnny Doyle what a player and ten years Marty Clarke's senior.

What has Martin Clarke in his second year playing inter county football got to do with todays game sorry cant work out what you mean]

agorm

Quote from: mylestheslasher on June 05, 2011, 08:07:12 PM
Quote from: agorm on June 05, 2011, 07:56:32 PM
Quote from: rolloutking on June 05, 2011, 07:06:57 PM
Anyone claiming that it is 'karma' or 'just what they deserve' in relation to Meaths disallowed goal is a typical bar stool analyst, know it all and know nothing narrow minded and simplistic fool.

If it was a legal goal it should have stood regardless of what has happened in the past.

I agree - however people like Mylestheslasher and some of the Louth crew do need something to cheer about and I wouldnt begrudge them that.  We have had our days in the sun and we cannot be champions every year. The referee did have a nightmare and I agree with Indiana in that he should be spared from any other teams this year. Whoever wrote that the GAA is truly f*cked if that is a sending off got it spot on.

Regarding the game I felt that the first half was very even as we had expected. Both teams had plenty of chances and possession was generally even. Meath missed a few chances and couldd have gone in a bot more ahead - however Kildare did hit their usual quota of wides.

Kildare were very slow coming out on to the pitch for the 2nd half and the Meath players were left hanging around for a few minutes. Once the half started however Kildare were on a different level to Meath and won the game in the 1st 15 minutes of the half. I think they scored 6 points in a row at that time, dominated possession in the middle third of the field and moved the ball much more fluidly. Of course the referees decisions could have influenced the result but we will never know.It is annoying from a Meath point of view but we cannot complain because, had we made a comeback, it would have been against the run of play in game overall.

To me the ineptitude of the ref's performance is just another in a line that includes last years Leinster final, a game I would have liked to have seen replayed as stated at the time on several threads. However, it is a totally different game and to try to link them as a few have done is just a bit silly.

Well done kildare, lets hope they can start to build on performances & get some silverware.

I used neither of the terms above. However, there is an old saying "what goes around comes around" meath got bad decisions against them today but there aren't too many in Ireland that will feel too sorry for ye. Btw, its not just nasty old myles and the louth crew making comparisons to the 2010 leinster final. The 2 commentators did, spillane and brolly did and i bet the Sunday game tonight will too. I suggest you get used to it.
I never thought or tried to suggest that you did use any of those terms. It was just based on your previous post which was alittle sarcastic & also the cr*p you wrote about Geraghty earlier in the week.
I  didnt see the commentators because I was at the game, I will have a look and see how many comparisons are made on the Sunday Game as you predict.  I agree that not many will feel sorry for us but that doesnt really concern me. What does concern me is that we have dropped in terms of our football pedigree in recent years, we are not producing players that a county of our size & number of senior clubs would be expected to produce and our record under the current management is very poor.

The qualifiers is not where we want to be, we wanted to be defending our Leinster title and we have not done a good job at doing that.

DB_An_Mhi

Quote from: NP 76 on June 05, 2011, 08:54:05 PM
. Johnny Doyle what a player and ten years Marty Clarke's senior.

What has Martin Clarke in his second year playing inter county football got to do with todays game sorry cant work out what you mean]

They both cover every blade of grass from one end of the field to the other, start to finish, which is mightily impressive. MC is a relative youngster and given his spell in Aussie rules, conditioned like a full-time professional sportsman. Johnny is an auld fella by comparison (10 years his senior) ... it almost defies logic that he can do what he does.

mylestheslasher

I think the balance between brawn and pace is not correct in the meath team but I reckon they came up against one of worst teams you could if you play that game due to kildares  pace and huge fitness. Still, meath could go well in the backdoor, they are not a bad team.

NP 76

Doyle is without doubt a class act who always gives 100% . His fitness levels are second to none just wasnt sure where Clarke fitted into it

seafoid

Well done Kildare. Once again brain beats brawn and that's the way it should be on a football field. Fitness and stamina helps too. ;) Hopefully, ye will do yourselves justice and capture the Leinster title in 2011. Good luck. Fruit of your merit in my book to make up for 2010 backdoor season and I'm sure what is to follow in the coming weeks. Just sort out the wide figures and ye are on your way. Johnny Doyle what a player and ten years Marty Clarke's senior.

Too many Meath players went missing second half. We need to rethink our whole strategy from top to bottom and of course develop an adaptable playing style. Big men cannot match ye're fitness, stamina or mobility, so we will have to change the blend. A team encouraged and capable of playing football for seventy minutes.
how much of the stamina and mobility would the flourbags have in common with  puke football ® ? 

From the Bunker

Another year for Meath without a Leinster title. I like most do not count the one they lost last year. Sheridan, was pointing at the sun to the umpires again for GG's Goal.

ross4life

Meath played well in the first half & deserved their lead but in the 2nd half a fitter,stronger Kildare outfit got a deserved win. sending off & goal ruled out were wrong decisions but i think Kildare would have won by a point or two anyways.

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Jinxy

If in doubt, kick the ball as high and as far as you can.
Over 125 years of gaelic football evolution and this is the level we are operating at.
Well done Kildare, by far the better team.
My head is too sore to comment further but rest assured I will be back tomorrow.  >:(
If you were any use you'd be playing.