Ulster Senior Football Club Championship 2011

Started by drici, May 21, 2011, 12:31:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Throw ball

On a different note there has been discussion about rule changes. Watching todays game one I would love to see is that more than two people are not allowed to surround the man with the ball. How many times today did a player win the ball only to be surrounded and a free given against him for overcarrying. It might also cut down on some of the sly digs - such as the one Harney got the line for.

Milltown Row2

As long as they are not fouling the player with the ball what's the problem?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

fitzroyalty

Fair play to both teams, served up a great match. XMG's great start probably won them the game, B'derry sat and watched the first 5 mins. Even big Brad Friedel in nets watched the ball bounce in front of him and over the bar!

Throw ball

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 13, 2011, 05:22:43 PM
As long as they are not fouling the player with the ball what's the problem?

Quite simple really. If a player makes a catch and is surrounded it is impossible for him not to commit a foul before he gets rid of the ball. He either is caught for over carrying or charging (this is the only way he can move). This creates more stoppages and also penalises the art of fielding. I assume this is the reason the mark was tried a few seasons back. The close proximity of players also makes the 'half foul' more likely. It is also refereed very inconsistently with some refs favouring the fielder and others the defenders. A simple rule as suggested may make consistency easier to achieve in this area.

Rossfan

Quote from: Throw ball on November 13, 2011, 05:07:19 PM
On a different note there has been discussion about rule changes. Watching todays game one I would love to see is that more than two people are not allowed to surround the man with the ball.

With all due respect that's a daft suggestion.
What next - goalkeepers not allowed to stop the ball unless it's straight at them?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Any craic

See goals from Burren-Roslea & Rostrevor beating Scotstown in the Paul McGirr Tournament - lovely day to be out an about in November! - http://t.co/KnUgT5i5

Family guy

Any truth in that sludden got a slap from a ballinderry sub after the game??

yellowcard

Quote from: Family guy on November 13, 2011, 06:04:58 PM

Whilst Sludden is a poor enough referee I thought he done ok today, certainly the Ballinderry player who stupidly got a 2nd yellow needs to look at himself first. However how that Sludden man is deemed fit enough to referee at inter county level is beyond me. He's got 2 or 3 in his belly!!

sheamy

Very surprised at Ballinderry. They seemed to abandon their swarm defence that served them so well in last two games. They committed far too much to attack in the first quarter allowing Cross to dictate the terms of the game and more importantly giving the Cross forwards far too much room to play. Mind you, get beat at midfield didn't help but I felt Muldoon should have been brought out after 5 mins. Ballinderry actually fell into a better formation after they were forced to after the sending off. The Ballinderry forwards then got the room they had afforded Cross in the first half. Shamrocks also upped their aggression levels in 2nd half. Fair play to them. They deserve credit but it was too little too late. You can't give Cross a seven point start. Good game and best team won but Ballinderry missed out on a great chance as Cross were there for the taking. Good luck to Cross and I hope they go on and win it.

Dubh driocht

If he did, it's a disgrace as I thought he did an excellent job in a high octane and physical game.Sludden has made mistakes in the past but I admire his guts in continuing after the abuse he got. These two teams would not be known for holding back and the fact that Sludden did such a good job allowed the game to develop into as good a game of winter football as you are likely to see. Cross are superb champions and have taken club football to a new level.Pity to see Muldoon ,Gilliigan and Conway finish on a losing side but they left nothing on the pitch.

sam03/05

why did Ballinderry abandon their tactic that had served them so well up to Today - eg everyone back behind the ball, bar two full forwards. They gave Cross forwards far too much room in the opening twenty minutes.

sheamy

Balls. Now go away and focus on the bloodbath in the tyrone league final.

sheamy

Quote from: sam03/05 on November 13, 2011, 07:58:10 PM
why did Ballinderry abandon their tactic that had served them so well up to Today - eg everyone back behind the ball, bar two full forwards. They gave Cross forwards far too much room in the opening twenty minutes.

spot on. Was very surprising.

emmetryan

I think there was an element of swarm to the attack in the way Cross played that overwhelmed the Ballinderry defence early. I was at midfield in the press box and Cross frequently had 10 men inside Ballinderry territory when going forward.

It was an impressive comeback by Ballinderry, played a counter-punching game passing the ball at speed. Crossmaglen's diversity of options for shooting really is something at this level. They can hurt you in a lot of ways and that's really tough to defend against.
writer of the Tactics not Passion series at Action81.com

HIGH BALL CENTRE FIELD

Firstly, congrats to cross. No excuses - better team over the whole 60 mins won. We were probably the better team in the 2nd half but the damage was done in the first half. Some great hard football played by both sides and it was a gutsy performance by us in the 2nd half. Fair play to cross when we scored the penalty they didn't panic and went up the field and scored a few points to edge away. Didn't see Harney's 2nd yellow card but speaking to a few players after the match, they thought it was harsh due to why he hit. But as a famous derry maanger once said - "if you strake a man in this game, then your aff!" Harney has had a great year and i hope he gives it another go next year. As for Kernan's sending off, it was a yellow card challange and his second. Also must mention the 4 great saves by both Micky C and Hearty. Hopefully all our players will sit down, look at this performance, and go again next year. There is still more in this team.

Anyway, best of luck to Cross, Burren and Latton for the rest of Ulster. However wins I will be supporting in the All-Ireland.

Also good luck to craigbane in the Ulster Final.

UTS