On the road to Croker - Kerry 2011

Started by Kerry Mike, May 19, 2011, 09:34:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kerry Mike

QuoteMicheal Shields was ganged up on by 3-4 Dubs but stood his ground and traded blows like a real man. You wouldn't know anything about that in kerry with your snakey elbows from behind and your gouging and play acting.

In Cork you'd be known as a Langer. Only about 4k at the Cork game yesterday, is there another strike on ??
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

Chris agus Snoop

Quote from: Kerry Mike on May 23, 2011, 12:32:16 PM
QuoteMicheal Shields was ganged up on by 3-4 Dubs but stood his ground and traded blows like a real man. You wouldn't know anything about that in kerry with your snakey elbows from behind and your gouging and play acting.

In Cork you'd be known as a Langer. Only about 4k at the Cork game yesterday, is there another strike on ??

We're saving our pennies to spend them in killarney.

omagh_gael

Quote from: Chris agus Snoop on May 23, 2011, 12:50:46 PM

Holy jaysus! The queen of GB visits ye's for half a day and ye's have already adopted the sterling! Rebels me hole :)

Bensars

The "rebel" title apparently  comes from long before any oppisition to the crown forces. George  V apparently described the Cork people as the most loyal of subjects !

Heard on the radio last week that the rebel title was about some fancy dan male model who arrived in cork in 16-1700's to model for the merchants of the time. (The Paul Galvin of his day)

Chris agus Snoop

Quote from: Bensars on May 23, 2011, 01:25:47 PM
The "rebel" title apparently  comes from long before any oppisition to the crown forces. George  V apparently described the Cork people as the most loyal of subjects !

Heard on the radio last week that the rebel title was about some fancy dan male model who arrived in cork in 16-1700's to model for the merchants of the time. (The Paul Galvin of his day)

Jaysus, if I had a "penny" everytime I read that about the origins of the rebel title.

In fairness I think it refers to more recent events, like Tom Barrys tiny force routing 2,000 of the crowns best troops off the field at Crossbary.

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: Chris agus Snoop on May 23, 2011, 02:15:11 PM
Quote from: Bensars on May 23, 2011, 01:25:47 PM

Jaysus, if I had a "penny" everytime I read that about the origins of the rebel title.

In fairness I think it refers to more recent events, like Tom Barrys tiny force routing 2,000 of the crowns best troops off the field at Crossbary.

Wasn't Tom Barry originally from Killorglin?

Sure that would make him a Kerryman.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

CorkMan

Quote from: Chris agus Snoop on May 23, 2011, 12:07:38 PM
Micheal Shields was ganged up on by 3-4 Dubs but stood his ground and traded blows like a real man. You wouldn't know anything about that in kerry with your snakey elbows from behind and your gouging and play acting.

Don't forget your fish-hook

Kerry Mike

Or head butts or throat grabbing or spitting etc..........sorry those are some of the Langers bag of dirty tricks but usually go unpunished. Rebels me hole.
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

oakleafgael

Quote from: Kerry Mike on May 23, 2011, 10:09:48 PM
Or head butts or throat grabbing or spitting etc..........sorry those are some of the Langers bag of dirty tricks but usually go unpunished. Rebels me hole.

Dont forget the ball grabbing Mike.

Mike Sheehy

So you are tipping us to beat Limerick ? I suppose we are not that aging and cranky after all.

That was lovely welcome ye gave to lizzie......will ye be waving ye're little union jacks on the way down ?

"I say, when one wears the blood and bandages one feels closer to ones spritual home....pip..pip"

Frank Casey

Quote from: Chris agus Snoop on May 23, 2011, 02:15:11 PM

No twas about the langers having an interest in another royal bumn fight.

In 1491 Cork played a part in the English Wars of the Roses when Perkin Warbeck a pretender to the English throne, landed in the city and tried to recruit support for a plot to overthrow Henry VII of England. The mayor of Cork and several important citizens went with Warbeck to England but when the rebellion collapsed they were all captured and executed. Cork's nickname of the 'rebel city' originates in these events.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/County_Cork
KERRY 3:7

Chris agus Snoop

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on May 23, 2011, 10:26:12 PM

So you are tipping us to beat Limerick ? I suppose we are not that aging and cranky after all.

That was lovely welcome ye gave to lizzie......will ye be waving ye're little union jacks on the way down ?

"I say, when one wears the blood and bandages one feels closer to ones spritual home....pip..pip"

I remember Kerry begging her Majesty to include their little county in her visit after her grandmother or something visited 150 yrs ago, such shameless prostrating of themselves before the Queen, really pathetic.

The Queen REQUESTED to visit Cork because she had heard of its beauty, and we welcomed her as we welcome anyone of any status from royalty to even the lowest animal from the mountains to the west.  ;D