Garret FitzGerald RIP

Started by RedandGreenSniper, May 19, 2011, 08:19:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

magpie seanie

Quote from: glens abu on May 23, 2011, 09:36:55 AM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on May 20, 2011, 07:36:16 PM
Quote from: glens abu on May 20, 2011, 01:37:34 PM
Quote from: Hardy on May 20, 2011, 12:27:14 PM
RIP Garret. The fact that the SF cabal here can't find it in themselves to exhibit a little generosity of spirit even on the occasion of his wake, in defiance of the best Irish tradition, says a lot about them and indeed about him.

I would give him the same respect he gave the Hunger strikers.

There was more than enough food for them to eat, they committed suicide.

Take me home to Mayo :-[ :-[ :-[

That probably sailed over his head.

muppet

Quote from: magpie seanie on May 23, 2011, 12:21:20 PM
RIP Garret. The fact that the SF cabal here can't find it in themselves to exhibit a little generosity of spirit even on the occasion of his wake, in defiance of the best Irish tradition, says a lot about them and indeed about him.

For info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Gaughan_(Irish_republican)
MWWSI 2017

Nally Stand

Quote from: muppet on May 23, 2011, 12:39:09 PM

For info:

Not to mention Frank Stagg, another Mayo man, who's remains were headed to Dublin Airport (having been flown home from England), but were re-directed to Shannon airport, by the Fine Gael/Labour Government, who had the remains seized by special branch.

Taken from The Bobby Sands Trust:
"In order that he be afforded a Republican funeral, Stagg stated in his will that his body should be entrusted to Derek Highstead, then Sinn Féin organiser in England. The Wakefield coroner complied with his request......On Saturday, 21st February, Requiem Mass, boycotted by almost all his relatives, was held. His body was taken to Ballina where it was brought by Special Branch men to a grave some 70 yards from the Republican Plot in Leigue Cemetery, where he had asked to be buried. In order to prevent any re-interment by republicans, the Special Branch afterwards poured six feet of concrete on top of the coffin."
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

glens abu

Quote from: Nally Stand on May 23, 2011, 12:55:03 PM
Quote from: muppet on May 23, 2011, 12:39:09 PM

Yeah but that was sorted and he now rests with his friend and comrade Michael Gaughan

For info:

Not to mention Frank Stagg, another Mayo man, who's remains were headed to Dublin Airport (having been flown home from England), but were re-directed to Shannon airport, by the Fine Gael/Labour Government, who had the remains seized by special branch.

Taken from The Bobby Sands Trust:
"In order that he be afforded a Republican funeral, Stagg stated in his will that his body should be entrusted to Derek Highstead, then Sinn Féin organiser in England. The Wakefield coroner complied with his request......On Saturday, 21st February, Requiem Mass, boycotted by almost all his relatives, was held. His body was taken to Ballina where it was brought by Special Branch men to a grave some 70 yards from the Republican Plot in Leigue Cemetery, where he had asked to be buried. In order to prevent any re-interment by republicans, the Special Branch afterwards poured six feet of concrete on top of the coffin."

Yeah but that was sorted and he now rests with his friend and comrade Michael Gaughan.Its a pity the government of the day in the 26 couldn't respect the dead.

Gaffer

Quote from: glens abu on May 23, 2011, 09:39:05 AM
Quote from: Gaffer on May 20, 2011, 08:44:15 PM

What is it about Provo supporters who think everyone should have given them everything they wanted, when they wanted and how they wanted it.

All I said was I would give him the same respect he gave to the hunger strikers,whats your problem with that.Did you not think he gave the hunger strikers and their families respect?

So you didn t like Fitzgerald attitude to the Hunger Strikers. Maybe he didn t see them as freedom fighters but as part of organisations who were only good at killing people whom he found abhorrant !
"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"

muppet

Quote from: glens abu on May 23, 2011, 01:50:31 PM
Its a pity the government of the day in the 26 couldn't respect the dead.

Its a pity alright. #irony
MWWSI 2017

glens abu

Quote from: Gaffer on May 23, 2011, 09:17:08 PM

What is it about Provo supporters who think everyone should have given them everything they wanted, when they wanted and how they wanted it.

All I said was I would give him the same respect he gave to the hunger strikers,whats your problem with that.Did you not think he gave the hunger strikers and their families respect?

So you didn t like Fitzgerald attitude to the Hunger Strikers. Maybe he didn t see them as freedom fighters but as part of organisations who were only good at killing people whom he found abhorrant !

Got it at last Gaffer,so as I said I will pay him the same respect as he paid the Hunger strikers,but I would have thought the leader of a country and someone who was supposed to be a humanitarian could have at least agreed to meet their families afterall they had killed none.Then again to do that he might have had to grow a pair before he faced Maggie who no doubt would have slapped his wrist for going against her instructions.So no respect from me as I found him abhorrent. 

glens abu

Quote from: muppet on May 23, 2011, 10:36:10 PM

Yes muppet but I am only on a GAA forum these people are supposed to lead by example and  cherish all the children of the nation equally

Banana Man

Quote from: glens abu on May 24, 2011, 09:33:56 AM
Quote from: Gaffer on May 23, 2011, 09:17:08 PM

Got it at last Gaffer,so as I said I will pay him the same respect as he paid the Hunger strikers,but I would have thought the leader of a country and someone who was supposed to be a humanitarian could have at least agreed to meet their families afterall they had killed none.Then again to do that he might have had to grow a pair before he faced Maggie who no doubt would have slapped his wrist for going against her instructions.So no respect from me as I found him abhorrent.

have to agree with glens abu - it's all right for the lads from the 26 slating our freedom fighters but holding up the previous generation as heroes - let's be clear on this, during those dark days we always looked to the south for leadership and at the very least solidarity - to ignore the request to meet the families of these brave men as it was against the 'iron lady's wishes' was nothing short of cowardice and a dereliction of duty especially given that at that time he was bound under articles 2 and 3 of the Irish constitution to claim the entire island as his jurisdiction.

when our backs were against the wall he was found wanting - utterly unforgivable

Tubberman

"it's nearly time we had a little less respect for the dead, an' a little more regard for the living." - Juno Boyle, Act II
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

glens abu

Quote from: Tubberman on May 24, 2011, 10:15:16 AM

"it's nearly time we had a little less respect for the dead, an' a little more regard for the living." - Juno Boyle, Act II

I should have said the dying,sorry.

Gaffer

[/quote]

[/quote]

Oh I got you first time Glen. I realised  that you were a provo lover who felt that Garrett Fitzgerald should have done what the Provos wanted him to do. Garett was representing the views of the majority of nationalists both north and south at that time who were totally opposed to the provos. He ll did what he believed to be right. I wouldn t think he would have cared two hoots what you thought .

glens abu

Quote from: Gaffer on May 24, 2011, 05:54:05 PM

[/quote]

Oh I got you first time Glen. I realised  that you were a provo lover who felt that Garrett Fitzgerald should have done what the Provos wanted him to do. Garett was representing the views of the majority of nationalists both north and south at that time who were totally opposed to the provos. He ll did what he believed to be right. I wouldn t think he would have cared two hoots what you thought .
[/quote]

Your spot on again Gaffer,my respect lies with the Hunger strikers,along with the tens of thousands who voted for them ,the hundreds of thousands who attended their funerals.They will be remembered forever in song and verse,and their names and writings quoted around the world were inslaved peoples struggle for freedom.In years to come heads of state will bow their heads in Remembrance as they do today to the hero's of 1916.Garret,well he will be lucky to fill 1/2 page in our history books.Sinn e

Gaffer

Quote from: glens abu on May 25, 2011, 09:24:36 AM
Quote from: Gaffer on May 24, 2011, 05:54:05 PM

[/quote]

Your spot on again Gaffer,my respect lies with the Hunger strikers,along with the tens of thousands who voted for them ,the hundreds of thousands who attended their funerals.They will be remembered forever in song and verse,and their names and writings quoted around the world were inslaved peoples struggle for freedom.In years to come heads of state will bow their heads in Remembrance as they do today to the hero's of 1916.Garret,well he will be lucky to fill 1/2 page in our history books.Sinn e[/quote]

Well, if Garrett had decided to murder people , go to jail , go on hunger strike, die then maybe people wouldprobably  have been singing about him.

He was very successful in elections as well and over many years as well.  His policies got thousands of votes too ,

Evil Genius

Quote from: glens abu on May 25, 2011, 09:24:36 AM
Your spot on again Gaffer,my respect lies with the Hunger strikers,along with the tens of thousands who voted for them ,the hundreds of thousands who attended their funerals.They will be remembered forever in song and verse,and their names and writings quoted around the world were inslaved peoples struggle for freedom.In years to come heads of state will bow their heads in Remembrance as they do today to the hero's of 1916.
I daresay the Hunger Strikers will be remembered all right, but by whom?

A few hundred, even a few thousand activists, who will continue to gather at gravesides and memorials at Easter and on various other anniversaries, to hear stirring speakers and tinny bands.

Meanwhile, this will pass right over the heads of the nearly six million Irish people who rightly or wrongly, consider they have better things to be doing with their time.

And I say this because when someone mentioned Michael Gaughan earlier, despite my having had to have been aware of him at the time of his death etc, when I opened his Wiki link, it didn't produce even the merest glimmer of a memory. Even with Frank Stagg, whilst I vaguely recognised it as the name of a hunger striker, I suspect this may only have been because I remember a quip* about him which someone made at the time.

* - I'll not repeat it, since I doubt it would be appreciated by many on this forum.

Quote from: glens abu on May 25, 2011, 09:24:36 AMGarret,well he will be lucky to fill 1/2 page in our history books.
Getting back on topic, whilst I completely disagreed with the way he and Mrs. Thatcher tried to impose the Anglo-Irish Agreement over the heads of virtually the entire Unionist population etc, nonetheless I remember Garret  as being a principled and honourable man, whose intentions were always noble.

I don't know how much he'll be remembered, but he surely deserves to be (imo).
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"