Garret FitzGerald RIP

Started by RedandGreenSniper, May 19, 2011, 08:19:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

armaghniac

QuoteAnyhow, this particular Unionist's views are entirely consistent.

Consistent with other unionists.

QuoteHowever, I would remind you that in the two Referenda on the GFA, the overwhelming majority of people on the island acknowledged and endorsed Partition, both as being acceptable in principle and as the practical basis for government in Ireland.

Where exactly did they endorse Partition in principle?

Garrett Fitzgerald lived for Ireland, he didn't die for Ireland. Whether or not his judgement was perfect in 1981, he went on to do a lot of good since then.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

muppet

Quote from: Maguire01 on May 27, 2011, 05:40:35 PM
What the hell is 'Sinn e' meant to mean?

Apparently the conversation went like this:

Queen: An bhfuill tú ag putting articifial sweetener in do chuid tae?
Prince Phillip: Níl.
Iris: (falling to her knees) I always put sweetener in my tea your Holiness.
Queen: (to Peter) Is sweetener ait é sin Peter.
Peter: Bhí sí ar on acid act is fearr na e tabs anois. Sinn e.
MWWSI 2017

Evil Genius

Quote from: armaghniac on May 27, 2011, 06:14:09 PM
QuoteAnyhow, this particular Unionist's views are entirely consistent.
Consistent with other unionists.
When I said my views were consistent, I meant those views were consistent with each other when I expressed them in various posts. But I think you knew that, anyhow, otherwise you would have cited any inconsistency.

As for my views compared to other Unionists, they are sometimes similar (not "consistent") and sometimes different. That is because "ussuns" are not all the same, despite your cheap and (ahem) consistent attempts to so stereotype us, with your use of "yiz", "youse" and "your lot" etc.

Quote from: armaghniac on May 27, 2011, 06:14:09 PM
QuoteHowever, I would remind you that in the two Referenda on the GFA, the overwhelming majority of people on the island acknowledged and endorsed Partition, both as being acceptable in principle and as the practical basis for government in Ireland.

Where exactly did they endorse Partition in principle?
By voting for an Agreement which explicitly provided that the Border may not be removed unless and until a clear majority of the people of NI agree.
That is, even if a greater number of people in the ROI vote to remove the Border, that vote will not prevail.

Which is as good an endorsement, reinforcement even, of Partition as any.
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

armaghniac

QuoteWhich is as good an endorsement, reinforcement even, of Partition as any.

The majority of people in the 26 counties voted for the Treaty, but this did not imply approval in principle of it.
In both cases British military force lay in the background. 

Quotedespite your cheap and (ahem) consistent attempts to so stereotype us

I think it is cheap to call someone else cheap, especially a classy person like myself.

Quotewith your use of "yiz", "youse" and "your lot" etc

Where did I use these expressions?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B