Great underage players that fail to deliver at senior level??

Started by Armaghgael, May 17, 2011, 04:49:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Armaghgael

If in doubt.......take man and ball!

Shamrock Shore

Armaghgael

Thats why i said big names that have made impact at minor,schools,university
If in doubt.......take man and ball!

thejuice

I was a great under-age prospect until I started playing Under 12's. Never happened for me after that.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Shrewdness

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on May 17, 2011, 04:55:56 PM
FFS. Every county is full of them.

I'd imagine that Mayo would have had more of them than most counties ::)

PAULD123

To be fair counties are much better at developing talent than in years gone by. But I think there are three main reasons for players failing to step up a level:

1. Physique - Some players can cut it at minor but not at senior as they don't develop/grow physically.

2. Injury - It is a critical time coming out of underage and a bad injury can prevent the transition from taking place. Losing a year at 18 seems much more importnat than losing a year at say 25.

3. Drink - Yep the deamon drink, just around the time that young star is pocketing a national minor medal he is being allowed entry into evey bar in town. Not to be forgotten, along with that nefarious necatar comes an increasing confidence/success in engaging with the females too!!

I think there are relatively few players that looked like a future star because of their skill level at minor level and failed to convert to senior that wouldn't fall into one of the above categories.

lawnseed

every body who ever kicked a ball in tyrone- great at underage then disappear at 21 years of age.
it would be easier to name the players who 'did' do it at underage and senior
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once