Decking Maintenance

Started by nrico2006, May 05, 2011, 12:33:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nrico2006

I am not much of a DIY expert, and I am about to try and touch up the decking (ribbed) in the garden.  Any experts out there care to advise on the best way and products to use.  I simply want to paint/stain it, but I have been told that I either have to sand it or powerwash it before hand - is that completely necessary or can I not just slap the paint on?
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Bingo

I done mine last year. I power hosed it down and then applied that Ronseal decking oil, two good coats. Before you powerhose it there is a cleaning agent that you apply to it that will remove old oil, dirt etc and take it back. Not sure of name but in any DIY shop its with the decking oil, Ronseal seem to be the main crowd for this but I have noticed Lidl doing a line in it from time to time. Its all fairly fool proof if you read the can.

You'd be all day sanding the stuff, power hose is fairly quick, just be careful at the start that its not too powerful to damage any of the wood.

Abble

i've been given much the same advice as bingo.

i've recently had decking laid so need to get it sorted.

local timber merchant advised :

give it a good clean down (with a good hard brush and water and power hose if possible being careful not to get to close to the wood or using high power).

after the clean then i've been told oil is the stuff to use, handy enough applied as well.

(if you want to go down the staining route then i think maybe thats pretty much the stain you are stuck with forever, not 100 on this though)

AZOffaly

Same here. Did the powerhose thing, and then slapped on the Ronseal with a brush. The Powerhose cleaned all the crap, as well as the last paint job, off it.

brokencrossbar1

laoislad

Dont cheap out on the stain you buy either. The first year I used spray on stain but it all peeled by the following year. I used the Ronseal stain then and it has lasted a few years and wont peel even with a good washing with the power washer. Will give it another paint this year.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

the Deel Rover

The cuprinol wood preservation society are the boys with all the answers
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Milltown Row2

Quote from: the Deel Rover on May 05, 2011, 01:46:01 PM
The cuprinol wood preservation society are the boys with all the answers

Yes used their stuff last year, good gear. I used a decking brush and a cleaning agent and majority of the crap came off, then sprayed on the wood stain.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

snoopdog

No matter what you use it needs to be done every couple of years.
I wash it down with a yard brush and then using a Sadolin deck stain and preservative applied with a Brush takes about 2.5 hours for a 20ft by 20 ft deck for 1 coat. Use 2 coats. used the natural stain.
Look magnificent when done. Fades again after a while from the sun, but i suppose thats the whole point.
my timber was a bit green when i first put the decking down so i left it to weather for a while to fade the green tint. Not suggesting this is the done thing though as if left too long will grey quite a bit.
I was told never to use a power hose as it breaksdown the timber. It might not visibly break it but it does damage.dont know how true this is tthough.

nrico2006

Is the Cuprinol Powerpad system any good?  You always hear people saying that the like of that or a spray is not as good as a traditional brush.  Anyone used the powerpad?
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Abble

Quote from: snoopdog on May 05, 2011, 02:51:46 PM
I was told never to use a power hose as it breaksdown the timber. It might not visibly break it but it does damage.dont know how true this is tthough.

never use a power hose if you like it up full welly and about 3 miil from the boards.

perfectly ok to use so long as you're careful (youtube it til you see)

laoislad

Quote from: nrico2006 on May 05, 2011, 03:47:20 PM
Is the Cuprinol Powerpad system any good?  You always hear people saying that the like of that or a spray is not as good as a traditional brush.  Anyone used the powerpad?

The brush is the best bet IMO.
Have used spray on which I thought was shite and wouldn't use again but was just being lazy at the time.
Not sure about the Powerpad,sounds like that Dulux Paintpod thing which I wouldn't ever think about using.
Things like the spray on system and powerpad are probably good for people who aren't very good at DIY or just lazy and want a quick way of doing it.
Personally I think the more time you spend doing a thing like this the better the job so a tin of stain or oil or whatever and a brush is the best way.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

seafoid

Nothing says Celtic Tiger like decking

Minder

"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Tony Baloney

Quote from: seafoid on May 05, 2011, 04:37:28 PM
Nothing says Celtic Tiger like decking
I blame Charlie Dimmock and Tommy Walsh.