Mickey Burke to commit further Hair-esy in the Meath jersey

Started by thejuice, May 02, 2011, 03:26:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Hardy on May 03, 2011, 09:06:59 AM
Lar, The Red had a fine manly comb-over. What's wrong with that?

People are missing my point. Of course I support the right of any player to look like he wanna look. But in other days, you'd have had to be able to defend it (like the hard chieftain above). The point is that it doesn't seem to take much defending these days, which is a reflection of how much of the essential badness that made football interesting has been watered out of it by the Mary Poppins movement within the game.

Nothing wrong with that at all!
I honestly don't know a lot about Mickey Burke but if he is able to stand his ground and play like a man, that's all I'd ask of him.
If any of our own buckeens was half the man Ciaran McDonald was, I'd not bat an eyelid if he turned out with dreadlocks or had tattoos from his head to his arse- and all parts below.
Now, no one can deny that the Red would put his life on the line for his team-even if his wisps were flying in the wind as he took off up the field. As you will recall, he got plenty of slagging for his unorthodox 'hairstyle' but neither the hair get up or the slagging did him one bit of harm.
My salient point is that Burke should be judged solely on his footballing ability-after all, he is an amateur player and doesn't need an imprimatur from anyone, unless it's the manager.

BTW; I also think he's looks daft. ;D
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

lynchbhoy

I know we were actively discouraged from having long hair in senior club football in meath.
I recall a good reason why on one particular day when playing ballinlough (I think it was) in div 1 league game. They had a fast wing half forward who had a ponytail.
He was whizzing up the wing on a solo run and swerved past the youngest Lyons brother Terry.
However Tery managed to reach out one of his massive paws and grab the lad by the ponytail, the fella's two feet went straight out ahead of him and up completely horizontal about 5 feet off the ground when Terry then let him go. Ref gave a free, not even sure if he booked Terry (you had to be half klilled or look at a ref to be cautioned in meath games those days) and the whole 29 players laughed at this - everyone else knew not to have long hair an this lad now knew he needed a haircut or he'd get it again from someone else !

Mickey Burkes family are good folks but eccentric - especially M Burke sr (Stoney). But thats a real Longwood thing!

magpie seanie

Quote from: Hardy on May 03, 2011, 09:06:59 AM
Lar, The Red had a fine manly comb-over. What's wrong with that?

People are missing my point. Of course I support the right of any player to look like he wanna look. But in other days, you'd have had to be able to defend it (like the hard chieftain above). The point is that it doesn't seem to take much defending these days, which is a reflection of how much of the essential badness that made football interesting has been watered out of it by the Mary Poppins movement within the game.

Couldn't agree more.

thejuice

Would Paul Galvins type of badness be ok back then or not?
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

muppet

Quote from: thejuice on May 03, 2011, 05:08:33 PM

Skinny jeans were never acceptable.
MWWSI 2017

thejuice

It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Hardy

Paul Galvin's badness is overrated even now.

bennydorano

He's goin for the Spartan look, them boys didn't get called fairies or the like.

passedit

Quote from: Hardy on May 03, 2011, 06:05:22 PM

Paul Galvin's badness is overrated even now.

Notwithstanding the fact that kerry is the root of all evil, Mr Galvin has the requisite amount of badness and ability to hold his own in any era.

Don't Panic

thejuice

Well it looks like this thread has been a bit pre-mature, Mickey has been left off the Meath panel. While I wouldn't have argued he was our best player but he certainly had a role to play in the squad, he certainly didn't lack fitness or work ethic but he has struggled with injuries over the winter and I guess that played against him.

I don't know the full panel, I'm sure it'd be easy to fill in the gaps but I understand this:

QuoteDROPPED:
Chris O'Connor,
Michael Burke,
Peader Byrne,
David Morgan,
Cormac McGill,
David Lyons,
Brian Sheridan,
Alan Nestor,
Davy Dalton.

SELECTED:
Ciaran Lenehan,
Ian Daves,
Mark O'Sullivan,
Paddy Gilsenan,
Bryan Menton,
Tom Walsh,
Terry Skelly.

Slightly surprised by McGill, Dalton, Byrne and Nestor being dropped.

Also the following team lined out against Monaghan in the challenge and lost:

murphy,
o brien, reilly, ryan,
lenihan, menton, skelly,

meade, crawford,

davis, ward, gilsenan,
joe, paddy, farrell

subs: king,moyles, harrington, queeney

Hardy

It takes less and less to surprise me about what the wee Monaghan fella gets up to. Of course I don't know form in training and I'm not in a position to judge the capabilities of the newcomers, but there are at least four of those dropped that I would have considered indispensable to the panel. I don't know whether it's relevant that a number of those dropped had what would be considered the traditional Meath attitude in abundance, but that's a quality that has been missing from a lot of the league performances, by all accounts.

Billys Boots

Quote from: mylestheslasher on May 02, 2011, 10:14:02 PM
O rourke is certainly in denial of his feminine side and the fact that he actually from leitrim.

Well that's for sure!
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Hardy

Quote from: Billys Boots on May 04, 2011, 09:31:44 AM
Quote from: mylestheslasher on May 02, 2011, 10:14:02 PM
O rourke is certainly in denial of his feminine side and the fact that he actually from leitrim.

Well that's for sure!

Well that's for sure![citation needed]

:P

Jinxy

I'm baffled as to why Chris O'Connor has been dropped.
One of the few defenders we had with real pace.
Well able to take a score too.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Billys Boots

What, are the Royals now claiming that O'Rourke is one of them?  Jaysus!
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...