Possible scenario Stoke v Man City

Started by BennyHarp, April 19, 2011, 12:46:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyHarp

Was listening to Five Live and they were discussing an interesting scenario that could develop in the premier league. Spurs have complained about Stoke playing Man City 4 days after the cup final. Only one Europa league place is available via the FA cup, so if Stoke win they will qualify automatically for it. If however Man City win the cup Stoke will only qualify for the Europa League if City qualify for the Champions League through getting into fourth place in the Premiership. This leads to the scenario of Stoke possibly benefitting from losing to City in the league game, thus helping City get 4th and them getting into Europe via the FA cup place. I know there's a lot of permutations before this happens but will be interesting to see how it pans out.
That was never a square ball!!

Blowitupref

Sorry Benny don't want to ditch your post but my head is sore after reading that.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

BennyHarp

Quote from: Blowitupref on April 19, 2011, 04:32:09 AM
Sorry Benny don't want to ditch your post but my head is sore after reading that.

Actually - maybe it wasnt the clearest post i have ever made - basically if Stoke lose the FA cup final they would be better off losing the league game (which is four days later) to Man City which may help them qualify for the champions League, thus freeing up the Europa League place (via the Fa cup) for Stoke.

deiseach

Surely it would need Man City to finish sixth, i.e. even outside the Uefa Cup Europa League place, for them to need the FA Cup slot? If Liverpool won all their remaining games they would get 64 points. Citeh are currently on 56 points so the very least they need to guarantee fifth place is nine points. If they get fifth, Stoke are guaranteed the FA Cup Europa League place - unlike in the League Cup, the losers keep the European place if the winners have already qualified through the League. If Spurs are complaining already (and I'm not sure they are), it shows the defeatist attitude that contributed to that Champions League calamity with Arsenal all those years ago - we can't play! We're all sick! But we'll leave Danny Murphy who isn't sick on the bench! - is alive and well

BennyHarp

Apparently, according to Motty on Five Live The FA cup Europa league place only goes to the runners up if the winners of the cup qualify for the champions league. I could be wrong in this however.

deiseach

Quote from: BennyHarp on April 19, 2011, 09:27:43 AM
Apparently, according to Motty on Five Live The FA cup Europa league place only goes to the runners up if the winners of the cup qualify for the champions league. I could be wrong in this however.

Hmm. Perhaps he's right. The scenario where the Cup winners are not a Champions League team isn't a common one - I'd say Portsmouth are the only example and Cardiff could never have qualified for Europe because of extreme Taffness - so I'd bow to Motty's knowledge

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: deiseach on April 19, 2011, 09:39:52 AM

Hmm. Perhaps he's right. The scenario where the Cup winners are not a Champions League team isn't a common one - I'd say Portsmouth are the only example and Cardiff could never have qualified for Europe because of extreme Taffness - so I'd bow to Motty's knowledge

Deiseach - UEFA had stated prior to that Cup Final that, contrary to their previous position, Cardiff could represent England in the Europa League.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

deiseach

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on April 19, 2011, 09:46:20 AM
Quote from: deiseach on April 19, 2011, 09:39:52 AM

Deiseach - UEFA had stated prior to that Cup Final that, contrary to their previous position, Cardiff could represent England in the Europa League.

I did not know that. I'm feeling completely ignorant this morning (as opposed to the usual mostly ignorant)

passedit

Apparently an similar situation applies in Scotland?
Don't Panic

deiseach

Seems you are right.

Tottenham Hotspur fear fixture change may benefit Manchester City

I had my facts wrong. However, I stand over my opinion that Spurs are getting their excuses in early to justify failure

Blowitupref

Thanks for clearly that up Benny, i see Martin Atkinson will take charge of the FA Cup final not a popular choice with Tony Pulis.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Milltown Row2

How that City team beat Utd is beyond me, Looks like penalties for sure

For all of City's attack in the first half, they haven't done much this half

Stoke's keeper has a great goalkeeper and ya never know
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

pintsofguinness

Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: pintsofguinness on May 14, 2011, 04:33:22 PM
It's like watching paint dry.

I i know, I'm nearly tempted to get off my arse and do the ironing, na fcuk that I'll get a beer maybe, oh....
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea