Div 4 Final, Croke Park, Sat 23 April, Longford v. Roscommon

Started by Hardy, April 18, 2011, 09:29:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ross4life

Good to be back in Croke park after the Cork defeat last August, i always look forward to these local derbies..should be some good banter with the longford folk before & after the game.

We haven't lifted a title in Croke park Since 1979 (Div 1 league title) so it's long overdue.

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Denn Forever

Think it is great that League finals are in Croke Park.  It is where all players want to have a chance of playing.

I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Shamrock Shore

I have a ticket for ya Hardy - in the Longford section!

Lar-ries clap clap clap
Lar-ries clap clap clap

It's live on TG4.

Longford have only won three games in senior football in Croke Park:

Home League final v Galway 1966
Leinster final v Laois in 1968
National League v Dublin in 1985

As I said in the Div 4 thread I will buy pints for recognised members of gaaboard present in Croke Park if Longford win before the Westmeath and Louth lads get the limelight.

It may not be the All Ireland final on Saturday but, feck it, I'm gonna pretend it is. As will the weans.

ross matt

Quote from: Denn Forever on April 18, 2011, 10:29:10 PM
Think it is great that League finals are in Croke Park.  It is where all players want to have a chance of playing.

Agreed Denn. I think the experience of playing there is nearly more important for both sides than the silverware awarded to the winners. One (or both)  eyes on the championship etc.

Rossfan

Both in our case with the lads off to NY a few days later.
A game we could do without in the circumstances even though we would always welcome a game in Croker.
However the lads would probably be training  Saturday if this game wasnt on so it's an ill wind ....etc.
Hoping for a win and a nice shiny cup to put up there beside the Connacht MFL and the Div 3 Hurling trophies and hopefully more to follow  ::)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

ross matt

Quote from: Rossfan on April 19, 2011, 10:48:53 AM
A game we could do without in the circumstances even though we would always welcome a game in Croker.
However the lads would probably be training  Saturday if this game wasnt on so it's an ill wind ....etc.
Hoping for a win and a nice shiny cup to put up there beside the Connacht MFL and the Div 3 Hurling trophies and hopefully more to follow  ::)
[/quote

Agreed RF. Any sort of cup is welcome after all the dark days. Just hope injury is avoided etc.

Tubberman

Quote from: ross matt on April 19, 2011, 11:14:25 AM
[/quote

Agreed RF. Any sort of cup is welcome after all the dark days. Just hope injury is avoided etc.

Did the Connacht Senior Football Championship of 2010 go by without you noticing!?
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Rossfan

Just living in the present Tubs.
No point trying to live on past glories ... even if they were only 9 months ago. ;)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

ross matt

Quote from: Tubberman on April 19, 2011, 12:01:05 PM
Quote from: ross matt on April 19, 2011, 11:14:25 AM
[/quote

Did the Connacht Senior Football Championship of 2010 go by without you noticing!?

No it didnt but there were plenty of dark days before that and the previous one (both on and off the field). Plus last year's was a little ahead of schedule. Roscommon are a work in progress and I dont think any of the players, management or supporters think that they're there yet. So my point was that even a div 4 cup is still valued.

panc56

This will be the game of the weekend and I have a feeling Longford will do it on the basis that the Rossies will be keeping an eye on the NY game the following week. All 4 L's will win this weekends finals, Longford, Louth, Laois & the Langers!

Best of luck both teams - I always liked the Rossies, what a pity that team that Derek Duggan played for didn't beat Meath in the S/F a few years back.

Tubberman

Quote from: panc56 on April 19, 2011, 02:28:57 PM
This will be the game of the weekend and I have a feeling Longford will do it on the basis that the Rossies will be keeping an eye on the NY game the following week. All 4 L's will win this weekends finals, Longford, Louth, Laois & the Langers!

Best of luck both teams - I always liked the Rossies, what a pity that team that Derek Duggan played for didn't beat Meath in the S/F a few years back.

20 years this summer  :o

Blowitupref

I read article a few days ago about how Roscommon have used about 15 players aged 23 or under in this years league! so most definitely work in progress. The like's of O'Gara,Cregg & Shine showed their worth in last years championship but this team won't reach their full potential for another few years yet.

Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

ross4life

Quote from: Tubberman on April 19, 2011, 02:40:03 PM

Yep Hard to Believe it will be 20 years this summer, i was in the old canal end that day & it was one that got away  :(
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Tubberman

Quote from: ross4life on April 19, 2011, 03:32:33 PM
Quote from: Tubberman on April 19, 2011, 02:40:03 PM

Yep Hard to Believe it will be 20 years this summer, i was in the old canal end that day & it was one that got away  :(

I was on my holidays down in Wexford, got shipped off to the cousins for a couple of weeks :D
We were at the beach and I stayed out in the car park standing beside the open window of some fellas car who was listening to the match on the radio. Gas the things you remember....