:)

Positives:

We won
Paul Barden got to lift a cup in Croker. Wonderful servant
Two great goals
Wonderful penalty save from Damien Sheridan - better than Paddy Cullen in 1974
Deccie and Dermot Brady in defense.

Negatives:

Wides wide wides wide wides. Oh sweet Jesus.
The Roscommon goal given away cheaply

Roscommon were cat for most of the second half. We should have won at a canter.

May 22 against Laois next to look forward to. But we have to limit the wides or else we are dooooooooomed.

maigheo

Quote from: ross4life on April 23, 2011, 07:16:42 PM
Congrats longford much the better team, for us a black day.. I really thought these days were behind us but that defeat will send us back 5 years
jeez and i thought we were the worst fans with over the top reactions. :D.

Billys Boots

Quote from: Hardy on April 23, 2011, 06:31:52 PM
Great stuff Larries. Great to see Paul Barden raising a cup.

Sure you're a Larry now too Hardy, and never a truer word spoken. Barden has been a true servant of the game with nothing to show for it but injuries. I was also delighted for him, with a real lump in the throat.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

ross matt

First of all Congrats to Longford. The best team did indeed win. They were far hungrier than us and you would think it was them who were facing championship in  a few days considering how sharp they looked at times.

Roscommon's performance was very flat. I hope it was because they had a heavy fitness session done in the last few days but I dont know if that was the case. Even if it was it still wouldnt explain the poor ball going in to the full forard line and the poor shot options. Thats the only issue I would dispute with one of the Longford posters. Roscommon had far more wides from very scorable positions. Did I hear TG4 say they had 13 at one point?

kilbride must be in trouble with his hamstring. Nothing went right for Shine but he didnt look very interested. Finneran worked his ass off and caught some great ball at midfield. Cregg the same and he in particular took the game to Longford when all was lost scoring 4 points in the 2nd half. Our full back line are nice tigerish footballers but very suspect under the high ball.

It may be a wake up call but it wont help morale heading to NY. I expect them to be better than last season when they nearly beat Galway. However I trust Fergie and the management have a bigger plan in mind because if they play as lax and disinterested like that next Sunday we will be in the backdoor.

wherefromreferee?

In your Endo!

mylestheslasher

Well done to our neighbours in longford. Fully deserved and great to see a team which doesn't get into finals too often lifting some silverware.

Dinny Breen

#newbridgeornowhere

Lar Naparka

Quote from: mylestheslasher on April 23, 2011, 10:37:24 PM
Well done to our neighbours in longford. Fully deserved and great to see a team which doesn't get into finals too often lifting some silverware.
Last time was well over 40 years ago and it was a Barden who did the lifting that time also.
If I remember correctly, there only one league final at the time- no divisional trophies and Longford beat Galway, the All Ireland champs.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Shamrock Shore

Lar

It seems to have beena a complicated route to the 1966 'home' win over Galway and here I must admit I made a terrible mistake in saying Longford only ever won 3 senior matches in Croke Park.

In the successful 65-66 League win Longford were in Div II Secion A.

Longford beat Cavan, Sligo and Leitrim.

Then in Div II semi final beat Meath in Croke Park (Hardy surely remebers this) 1-07 to 0-08.

In Div II final in Pairc Sean in Carrick beat Cavan.

In the Nat League semi final beat Donegal in Croke Park 0-13 to 0-11

The win over Galway was in the 'home' final. The actual League title was in a game with New York on aggregate scores over two legs. First leg in Longford (Longford 1-09 New York 0-07) and then a week later the second game (New York 0-10 Longford 0-09) in Croke Park. Champions League stuff!

So - add to my 3 win list the wins over Meath and Donegal in Croke Park in early 1966. If I come across other wins I'll correct the record.

Paul and David's (and the long retired Enda) Barden's uncle, Brendan (open to correction) was the capt in 1966. Another uncle was on the 1968 Leinster wnnding side - Pat.

Turlough O Carolan

Quote from: Lar Naparka on April 23, 2011, 11:04:20 PM
Quote from: mylestheslasher on April 23, 2011, 10:37:24 PM
Last time was well over 40 years ago and it was a Barden who did the lifting that time also.
If I remember correctly, there only one league final at the time- no divisional trophies and Longford beat Galway, the All Ireland champs.

That was a victory that inspired some country and western songs about the blue and gold. Congrats to Longford on their victory today.

Shamrock Shore

QuoteThat was a victory that inspired some country and western songs about the blue and gold

Indeed - I have the feckin song 'The Blue and Gold' sung by Frank Kilbride on my iTunes (don't ask) as well as Michael O'Hehir's commentary from Croke Park in 1966.

I'll go to bed now, I think!

Hardy

LaurelEye

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on April 24, 2011, 12:30:44 AM
QuoteThat was a victory that inspired some country and western songs about the blue and gold

Indeed - I have the feckin song 'The Blue and Gold' sung by Frank Kilbride on my iTunes (don't ask) as well as Michael O'Hehir's commentary from Croke Park in 1966.

Maybe Frank might name one of his ghost estates after this one...
Leader Cup winners: 1945, 1947, 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 2013, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2021, 2023.

Qwerty28

May as well use my hundreth post to comment on a great Longford victory!  ;D

Wonderful to win a final of any type, especially in Croker, although Im not sure that Paul had practised his speech too much!! Also loved the word of thnaks from the stadium announcer for staying off the pitch after the final whistle!!

Decent performance overall, will use the excuse of being unfamiliar with the surrounding for the number of wides, something that needs to be worked on. Corner backs were superb throughout, Declan Reilly deserves far more recognition, a superb reader of the game.

Bring on Laois, be interested to see how they get on today.

Maybe later in the summer a few new songs can be written!!